TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Favorite "Fun" Movies!
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 10:33 AM UTC
Don't know if we've done a thread on this, but springtime is for fun - even for modelers!

What's your most favorite "fun" movie(s) - something lighthearted and silly, that you'll watch over and over and still enjoy it?

Mine:

Ferris Bueller's Day Off - (It rarely gets funnier than this one if you're a child of the late '70s early '80s)

The Adams Family & the sequel Adams Family Values - (I can't explain it but these two movies just hold my attention and bust me up. I was so sad to see Raul Julia pass away - it was one of the best things he and this cast put together - and I was hoping for a third "Adams Family" movie. Weird because I didn't like the TV series...)

Gunnie
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 10:37 AM UTC
Ghostbusters. "No human could stack books like this, Ray."

That and "Boondock Saints"

Thanks for askin' Gunnie!

Shaun "The Sausage King" Keenan
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 10:41 AM UTC
George of the Jungle, Bruce Almighty, True Lies, Moon over Parador. Shrimp on the Barbie
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 10:43 AM UTC
Heh heh - Ghostbusters I & II are classic!

I love that line: "No Human could stack books like this, Ray" These two movies make me smile too - and Sigourney Weaver isn't hard on the eyes either...

More, More - there's more out there I say! What else!?!

Gunnie
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 10:47 AM UTC
Ahhhh - True Lies...

I really like this one too, I'm still fascinated by the Harrier scenes. I really like it when the Marines take out our bridge, and the Nuke blowing up, and the limo plunging off into the drink...

Aw Heck - I really am just fascinated with Tia Carrera and Jamie Lee Curtis - and keep watching hoping I get to see the Director's Cut and Tom Arnold's character killed...

Gunnie
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 11:48 AM UTC
In particular order.

Kelly's Heroes, possibly my all time favorite. Even though I have it on VHS, and plan to get it on DVD, I'll watch it every time it's on TV, satellite or regular TV.

Operation Petticoat. Same thing, I can watch it over and over and over. The amazing thing is so much in the movie is based on fact, even torpedoing the truck.

Caddyshack. Has no social redeeming value at all, but it's a hoot.

Blazing Saddles. Has even less redeeming value than Caddyshack but it kills me.

Young Frankenstein. Possibly more memorable lines than any of the above. Example:

Frankenstein: "What Knockers" referring to the door knockers.
Inga, glancing down at another set of knockers, "Oh, thank you very much."

Monty Python and the Holly Grail. About as many memorable lines as Young Frankenstein.
"What is the airborne velocity of a laden sparrow?" "African or European?"

PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 02:57 AM UTC
No contest. Dumb and Dumber. How could anybody not love the stupidity of that movie? Nice hooters........................

Patrick
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 03:36 AM UTC
Jaws Roy Scheider all bug eyed and saying, "We're gonna need a bigger boat!"
Raising Arizona and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 03:58 AM UTC
Lot's of good ones listed here.

My latest favorite is Tarantino's Kill Bill Vol. 1 out on DVD now. I normally despise going to the theater, but I think I may have to go see Vol. 2 ...
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 04:38 AM UTC
I haven't seen Kill Bill yet. I'm not sure what to make of QT's movie style. I liked From Dawn till Dusk because of how quirky the characters were. I'm not sure it's meant to be funny...

Same feelings when I saw Fargo for the first time - I caught myself laughing at the characters and predicament(s) and felt embarrassed because I thought I'd be the only one finding the morbidity amusing. It seems the rest of the audience felt the same way too...

Gunnie
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 05:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I haven't seen Kill Bill yet. I'm not sure what to make of QT's movie style. I liked From Dawn to Dusk because of how quirky the characters were. I'm not sure it's meant to be funny...

Same feelings when I saw Fargo for the first time - I caught myself laughing at the characters and predicament(s) and felt embarrassed because I thought I'd be the only one finding the morbidity amusing. It seems the rest of the audience felt the same way too...

Gunnie

Ah, the hazards of dark humor -- not always sure if you are supposed to laugh. Just keep in mind "It's only a movie, it's only a movie ..."

BTW, From Dusk Till Dawn is a Robert Rodriguez film -- and, yes, parts of it are supposed to be funny. I love Cheech Marin as the barker on the steps of the club -- definitely R-rated but hilarious. Rodriguez's style is very similar to Tarantino and you can really tell there is mutual admiration -- plus QT turns up as an actor in a few Rodriguez flicks. His latest installment in the El Mariachi/Desperado series -- Once Upon A Time in Mexico -- is also a hoot, in my opinion. Gotta love Johnny Depp as a CIA dude! :-)

Tarantino says he's made four movies: Jackie Brown, Pulp Fiction, Reservior Dogs and Kill Bill (vol. 1 &2).

Dark humor is one of those things you either love or hate. I remember going to see An American Werewolf in London years ago and literally howling with laughter through the whole movie. My date and the rest of the theater audience were not as amused. When the dude is waiting for his first full moon and transformation, the music is CCR's Bad Moon Rising -- I cracked up! :-)
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 05:16 AM UTC
Without a doubt, John Carpenter's THEY LIVE

Best line? "I'm here to chew bubblegum and kick *ss, and I'm right out of bubblegum" Character then proceeds to shoot extra-terrestials......Classic...Jim
4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 424 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 12:59 PM UTC
I like most of Eddie Murphy's movies, especially the Golden Child. I had a laugh at a scene there when he was doing a rap while spinning a Tibetan Buddhist prayer wheel. lolz.

I find spoof movies produced by Bob Zemeckis a riot: Airplane 1 and 2, Top Secret, The Naked Gun 1-3 and Mafia. These movies had me in stitches. Also those movies of Mel Brooks: History of the World, Robin Hood Men in Tights and Spaceballs. Those movies by Rob Schnieder also are a laugh: Deuce Bigelow, and The Animal. Same with Jim Carrey's Ace Ventura and The Mask. Jim Carrey is a worthy successor to Jerry Lewis.

The same for the three Austin Powers movies. Mike Myers is a riot here. James Bond goes psychadelic (or should I say, shaggadelic)

I liked Blues Brothers 2000 more than the first one.

I kinda liked Home Alone 3 than the first two.

Then there are these comedy-martial arts movies by Stephen Chow, especially his recent one, Shaolin Soccer (Chinese).

Of course there's the "immortal" Mr. Bean. I don't think anybody can top this one.
4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 424 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 01:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Without a doubt, John Carpenter's THEY LIVE

Best line? "I'm here to chew bubblegum and kick *ss, and I'm right out of bubblegum" Character then proceeds to shoot extra-terrestials......Classic...Jim

You know, I heard that line when I was playing the videogame Duke Nukem. So that's where that line came from.
Dixon66
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,500 Posts
KitMaker Network: 154 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 02:30 PM UTC
I can't believe that none have posted my favorite yet....Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I think I've just about worn out the DVD, especially the Legos bit.

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.

A little less on the fun side, but I watch it whenever its on....Battleground.

Dave S.
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 12:32 PM UTC
Hmmmmm........................well, let's see:
(In no particular order)
1. Any movie by Adam Sandler. Gotta love his stupid antics.
2. Office Space
3. Hogan's Heroes (When I either get cable/satellite or they come out with it on DVD.)
4. Anything with Chevy Chase
5. " " Robin Williams (i.e. Good Morning, Vietnam)
6. (Now don't laugh) Killer Klowns from Outer Space-It makes no sense whatsoever, and the graphics are so horrible, you can't just help but laugh.
I'll think up some more later. Thanks for your time.
SOW1
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 12:33 AM UTC
-ANYTHING with Jay and Silent Bob..... I'm sorry but they are hillarious.
-One of my all time Favorites... Little Nicky.. OMG
-Ferris Beuller's Day off... Ye-aaah Buddy greatest movie for skip days in Highschool if you weren't having your boyfriend (in my case) or girlfriend over to skip class for a special reason.lol
-Best flick to get trashed during and watch completely wasted with a bunch of friends.
Drum roll please...............................................................................................STRANGE BREW
:-)
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 12:52 AM UTC
Aaaah

I have to stand next to keenan with his BoonDock Saints Simply a brilliant movie with a ton of serious good quotes. ........ I feel like Irish Dancing today

Anything From Monty Python is Brilliant.... Enough ridiculous stuff to keep on laughing for the rest of your life.

Eddy Murphy Beverly Hills cop 1 to 3 all brilliant.

I can name a dozen more but these were movies that made me laugh a lot

Paul
Visit this Community
Kharkiv, Ukraine / Україна
entire network: 705 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 05:15 AM UTC
Anything with Denny DeVito, Woody Allen and Leslie Nielsen, classic fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)
GSPatton
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 10:04 AM UTC
OK the Unofficial list of funny-

Blazing Saddles -
Young Frankenstein
GhostBusters
Kelly's Heros
Bruce Almighty
Monte Python and the Holy Grail -

The Battle of the Bulge - I know its NOT suppose to be a comedy - but the overacting and the cornball melodrama makes me laugh. :-)
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 10:35 AM UTC
The two greatest comedies for me are Porky's and Animal House. Only two comedy DVD's I own everything else being Sci-fi or in the "war" or classic category
IndyCopper
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 153 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 11:08 AM UTC
John Ritter in Skin Deep, the glow in the dark condom chase killed me.
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 03:57 PM UTC
Anyone mention "Big Trouble in Little China"?

One of my Favs!

Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 05:15 PM UTC
Baby's Day Out - kills me everytime.

The Great Race - with Tony Curtis methinks. Been searching for a disc version for years.
tankysgal1
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 1,430 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 05:35 AM UTC
Cool Hand Luke..very good movie..i love it. And on a diffrent note..who could forget Liar Liar or Big Daddy. Fun lighthearted movies that really rock.
Mary