TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Master and Commander on DVD
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 03:20 PM UTC
I just bought Master and Commander on DVD and I'm underwhelmed. I guess I'm spoiled but the last few DVDs I've bought, paying under $19 for any one of them, I got the movie, both wide screen and full screen, several previews, and quite a few other features. These were movies like Pirates of the Caribbean, Seabiscuit, and the LOTR The Two Towers. First thing I notice when I put the DVD in is the blurb, "this film has been altered to fit your screen." It was then I realized they made two versions, the wide screen, letterbox, and full screen. (I'll be taking this one back to get the "real" version.) Then I checked out the menu for special features, deleted scenes, making of, that kind of thing. Zip, zero, nada, not one special feature other than a few coming attractions. So later today I went to Best Buy for my daughter and decided I'd check out the videos. It was then I found out there was a "special edition" already out for M&C, for almost $30, twice what I paid, that had all the expected items.

I know that LOTR, and other movies, come out with special limited editions with more features, but they don't short change people, at least not TOO badly, who buy the regular price versions. I was really ticked off and thought I'd let you all know.

staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 03:35 PM UTC
Doh! Now I feel lucky that when I went to Sam's Club to pick this up they had all version there. I noted the "premium" edition was like $24 and picked that one. I am so glad because I am a 2.35:1 ration NUT! I hate when the crop movies and still call them "widescreen".

Jim
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2004 - 02:37 AM UTC
I got mine at Best Buy for $15.99.

Actually, I ran in and they had a big display so I grabbed a copy. Got home and realized it was the fullscreen version.

So, I was going to take it back but gave it to my brother who I owed a few bucks too. He likes the fullscreen!

I went back and got the widescreen, they look almost exactly the same. Bad packaging.

The Best Buy version came with some bonus disc that has a 'making of' feature.

I really don't want to spend more for a 'special edition' as this movie is fine by itself.

Steve
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 06:57 AM UTC
I just got the cheaper version on dvd and mines wide screen but I have got one of those wide screen tv's .dont think the film is all that good seen half of it and fell asleep hope the rest is a bit more lively, cant see the point in getting the how it was made dvd,I have the perfect storm which shows how they do this sort of filming(perfect storm is far more entertaining in my opinion) over and out.
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 10:37 AM UTC
I just picked mine up today at the Tampa International Airport while waiting to pick up a friend of mine for only $12.99....no tax.
Boiler
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 70 Posts
KitMaker Network: 65 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 03:26 PM UTC
I am quite relieved to hear someone else say that they thought Master and Commander was boring. I wish that when the Marine had shot that Dr he would have killed him. There was so much of the dialog that was practically unintelligible. Some PLEASE make a decent movie about Lord Nelson and the Battle of Trafalgar and just give a decent battle for a change..........................
Longshanks
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 06:04 AM UTC
I quite enjoyed the movie.........Got the special edition DVD for £18.99...........Decent enough I though.........
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 07:18 AM UTC
I didn't buy this movie but got it from Net Flix. Boy, oh boy....after about an hour of torturing myself I finally gave up. Watching this movie was like watching paint dry. Also, I think I would have understood more had I watched in French or Spanish. Ouch!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 08:02 PM UTC
I bought mine on Ebay. turned out to be single disc, but for 10 bucks who needs the other stuff. Now I lucked out when I picked up the two disc set of Last Samurai for $16 at Circuit City. That was almost as good as it was when I saw it last December at the movies. Haven't gotten around to Master and Commander as I didn't see it in theatre until February