_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Kits, Militaria and Photos
Kraftstoff
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 93 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 03:14 AM UTC
Hi Guys,
I have been working on this Dragon BTR-70 in NVA (East German) service over the last year and while almost finished... it will most likely NEVER win any awards and I have enjoyed building it and painting it....

The point to this post is rather that models can be used effectively in conjunction with militaria and photos to add ZEST any collection whether it be kits, military gear, or photos.... Bring all three together and WOW
Cheers,
Dave
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 03:44 AM UTC
I agree totally. That is why museums use them so much. Next time you are at a museum, check out the dioramas, esp. in a military oriented museum.
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 03:46 AM UTC
You make a good point there Kraftstoff. I don't display my finished kits anywhere but if I did it would never have occurred to me to include them as part of a collection of other millitary items. Your BTR-70 certainly looks good with the other stuff.
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 03:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Guys,
I have been working on this Dragon BTR-70 in NVA (East German) service over the last year and while almost finished... it will most likely NEVER win any awards and I have enjoyed building it and painting it....

The point to this post is rather that models can be used effectively in conjunction with militaria and photos to add ZEST any collection whether it be kits, military gear, or photos.... Bring all three together and WOW
Cheers,
Dave

I have been doing this type of thing for years. Most of all the models that I have built are on display at Museums.I find it a very rewarding experience to help to enhance the history. A lot of times there is no actual example of the vehicle or situation and by building a Diorama or a static model and strengthen the information that the Museum is trying to portray.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 05:19 AM UTC
That's a great idea. Some day, when I have more room (i.e., the kids move out of the house), I hope to expand my model displays with the militaria I have collected.

One idea I've been tossing around is building a figure vignette inside a "steel pot" helmet I have laying around. I even found a wooden base that holds the curved shape of the helmet nicely. Just gotta finish some of my other projects before I start a new one ...
IanSadler
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 324 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 06:09 AM UTC
hi i have a bit of info for a unusual cammo used in afgan camp , it was are you ready for this . soviet green base coat , then broad redy brown stripes across just of vertical , then sandy khaki and lastly purple , think of the mountains and purple, redy ,sandy hues , and you get the idea ,it was soft edged sprayed on . i had the photo of a afgan russian web site but lost it last year when hit by b**** virus , as to using militairia and modelsi do it all the time , not only in furthering trhe correct colours but how it hangs or is attatched to a figure , but them i am lucky as a colator/ researcher to a private military museum , i have unlimited access cheers ian
Kraftstoff
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 93 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 01:11 PM UTC
Hi Ian,
Here is an Russian BMP serving during Afghan/Soviet War

_GOTOTOP