_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Kit vs. AfterMarket: Costs!!
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 11:22 PM UTC
Howdy All,

Can't remember if this topic has been breached before. My apologies if it has.

The subject is the amount of money we all spend on a particular kit, vs. the additional amount spent on AM goodies. Now we've all discussed how much we all care about detail and accuracy, as well as the amount of research we generally do to ensure that our model is as 'spot-on' as we can build it.
The catalyst for my query was my recent foray into securing several AM items to dude out my Tiger 1 model. Now I thought I was being fairly modest in my indulgence, but when I did a quick calculation of the real dollars spent including shipping costs and such, I found that I spent almost five times the cost of the original kit!!
Now, I'm not complaining here. I'm just curious if I'm being to big a 'spender' , or are others in the same category? Seems quite a few of the members here are on a tight budget in some form or fashion. I mean when you have Detail sets going for $27.95, PE for the same, barrels for about the same, Fruil tracks for about the same.......it adds up.

Again, just curious if this is the norm, or the exception.

Thx for listening.

Tread.

BTW, I know that some sets for some kits are a little cheaper, but some are even more expensive, so I guess it all evens out.
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 455 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 11:32 PM UTC
I'm in the same boat:
$28 DML Fiefly Vc. Add to that:
$~30 Accurate Armour Update set
$~15 Accurate Armour British steel chevron tracks
$25 CMD resin Firefly turret with turned aluminum barrel
$10 (eventually) Academy suspension, 'cause I used the kit suspension for my other M4A4.
$5 Ultracast decals

And I haven't bought figures yet....And there's more. A Tamiya M4 Early has a TTW Firefly turret and metal barrel, along with Ultracast Canadian Stowage kit and awaits Academy suspension sprues. It too has Ultracast Decals.

Then there's My TTW Sherman Jumbo conversion, for which I also must purchase new tracks with duckbills..

Yeah, Tread, I go over the edge too more often than not. Now I have to start buying PE frets to justify that $40 Hold & Fold tool I just bought. :-)

Greg
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 545 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 12:39 AM UTC
OK, here is another example (on the plans, but not started):

Tamiya M151A2 $15.00
Armand Bayardi resin conversion $15.00
Eduard PE set $22.00
Tank Workshop Wheels $5.00

Then, the M151A1 is released in plastic!

Oh well, guess I will go back to my SU-85 (Tamiya, DML, Anubus Creations, Part PE, Aber PE, Eduard PE, Tank Maker, Modelkasten, Artisan Mori and Jordi Rubio) conversion.

#:-) #:-) #:-)
Dave
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 12:55 AM UTC
Most of my models I build straight OOTB, but when I add AM parts, I go big. My most recent example (in $CDN):
Zvezda M13/40: $22
Model Victoria detail set: $43
Model Victoria tracks: $20
then the resin figures: $45
For a pretty cheap model, it seems I've added a lot. Hopefully, it will be worth it.

Nic
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 01:01 AM UTC
Two words - Scratch Build. I wish I could, I would if had the means. Right now, I've got to settle for making my own AM stuff. Wire, foil, plastruct, patience
Tanksalot
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 7 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 01:12 AM UTC
Well my response to the AM cost dilemma is "win the lottery"

But Seriously, since recently getting back into the hobby and finding such a wealth of AM parts but seeing some steep prices I will have to try combining scratchbuilding with AM parts.

My other option is to concentrate on one kit at a time and sell of those kits I have already bought to pay for all the AM stuff for that one kit!

Hmmm what to do, what to do?

MSW
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 01:31 AM UTC
For me it depends on what I am building. Most of the 1930's, early WW2 armor is straight OOTB. The oddity of the original vehicle suffices for me. Take the 5-turreted T35 by ICM (Good kit OTB), for example. Kits of equipment I have operated I tend to go all out to include some scratch building - just that personal interest.

I am also trying top reduce costs by getting resin stowage and/or scratch buiilding stuff that has multiple uses, like radio sets and trying to reproduce additional. Though I have heard that it can cost more to make small batches than buy originals.

A different case is the Testors 1/32 H-43 Huskie ($9) with the Cobra Company update (read improvement) set ($30+). This set just adds so much to the kit.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 06:12 AM UTC
I heard that the cost of the addons is far above the cost of the kit. From now on all I am going to do is use tracks hopefully Afv club as they are the cheapest,nomore Pe unless it is a really good kit
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 06:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Two words - Scratch Build. I wish I could, I would if had the means. Right now, I've got to settle for making my own AM stuff. Wire, foil, plastruct, patienc

Many, many thanks for the replies guys. As to your reply Slodder, I agree with you. Actually I used to 'scratch-build' most of my extra parts. Still do, some, really. Except I've come to rely on the AM companies to provide more and more of that for me. And truth be told, I am very happy for their efforts. My point was the actual cost of these items. Now I'm not a rocket scientist or anything, but does a 2 or 3 ounce piece of resin cost $20.00 wholesale? (read, $35.00 retail). Yeah, I know, I know.....you're paying for the original sculpting/casting efforts, right? Seems to me some lessons have been learned here from the likes of Bill Gates or George Lucas.....IMHO.
Gee, here's another DA point of view, (and BTW, the complete opposite of what I just said. Hey, I said Devil's Advocate, right?) How come people are a little hesitant to buy, say, a $150.00 kit from Accurate Armour, yet they will spend the same amount (in the end) for dressing up an Italeri kit!?!.....sorry, never said I had the answers.....just trying to ferret out the answers....
Clarity from ANYONE would be appreciated.....
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 10:07 AM UTC
Tread, it's probably just a matter of perspective. But there is also the fear that the $150 AA kit will still require $40-50 worth of various AM parts like new wheels, figures, better .50 cal, etc.

Can't win for losing...

BTW, I tend to stick to an eBay or Squadron sale priced PE set, same with the aluminum barrel. For tracks, I find that DML ones fit the bill and are generally available for kits I build. So the $25 kit I have uses maybe $20-25 worth of AM parts. I'm a cheapskate.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 10:14 AM UTC
Same thing happens to me here. Just take my next project as a reference:

Tamiya Tiger I 26/27 bucks
Aber upgrade set 50 bucks
tank workshop interior 25 bucks.
Modelkasten track another 25 some bucks

I think it's a bell curve thing in modelling as well....first you just build OOTB, then it's kinda cheap, then as your skill progressively increased, you purchase more and more AM items, till one day you reach a point that you are purchaseing all the AM things you can get...then as your skill continues progress, you start to scratch build then the expense come down again.... :-)

I have three word for this. 'MOVE TO HK" at least we get cheap kits.

SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 11:55 AM UTC
Tamiya Tiger 27 USD
Aber Upgrade Kit 50 USD
Tank workshop interior 25 USD
Modelkasten Tracks 25 USD

A husband or boyfriend will stay home build model while he could go out partying ---- PRICELESS!!! :-) #:-)

Long Life Armor Modelling!
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 12:21 PM UTC
Over the last few years I've started to indulge my self on certain kits. In between these I build mostly OOB. But when I do go nuts it usually costs. current model....

Italeiri M109 SP Gun $20
Warriors replacement main gun $20
Warrriors Turret update $30
Warriors Hull Update $45
Royal Models M109AL update(IDF) $25?
Royal Models IDF jerry cans $8
Skybow tracks $15
AFV club ammo set $?
Eduard IDF M109 set $18
AEF design upgrade to 'Doher' the IDF's latest variant
AEF designs early set

All told cost is about $250 dollars of After Market stuff. The saving grace for me is Writing articles, they pay for the little extras. Right now I'm eyeing that AA 'ward la france' wrecker.
I guess instead of doing My usual 15 Or so tanks a year I'm down to 8 to 10. For me It's worth it.
Josh Weingarten
aKa shiryon
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 05:44 PM UTC
For me it's akin to buying a car - all those extras are optional. It'll still run without them but, it'll be that much more comfy. Although, I'm not sure I want the blinker package, no one else does! :-)
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,088 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 06:30 PM UTC
I will be facing this problem very soon because some of my ideas require model kits with LOTS of modification. And I´m not only talking about meshes and barrels but also gun towers, different shaped armor plates...and there is just one manufacturer that makes these modifications from basic Russian armor to Finnish armor.
I wouldn´t need these things if I only built single models. But when there is first an idea of a larger setting with historical facts, I can´t live with the fact that my Finnish tanks would have wrong shaped towers, NOW THAT I KNOW THERE ARE THIS KIND OF CONVERSIONS AVAILABLE!

So thanks to you all for inviting me to the world of aftermarket!

Heh. #:-)

Toni
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 07:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well how is cost of living over their? How are jobs ? Will they hire English speaking folks?
Hows the living houses and such?
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 760 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 10:30 PM UTC
I am afflicted with the AM addiction as well. My current project:

Tamiya StuG IV $16
Eduard PE details $16
Eduard Schurzen $16
Cavalier generic "ridged" pattern zimmerit $20
Modelkasten road wheels $17
Jordi Rubio barrel $7
Moskit exhaust $10
Minimeca barrel cleaning rods $3
Elefant tow cable $7
Tamiya Pz IV OVE $4
Friulmodel tracks $26
Friulmodel drive sprockets $5

Kit = $16 -- AM = $131 -- Total = $147

I know that I could have built the DML StuG IV and not used a good bit of this stuff, but I had this kit lying around from a number of years ago and besides I really enjoy working with all of the AM stuff and the challenge of making a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

There has to be a 10-step program out there somewhere.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 12:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Well how is cost of living over their? How are jobs ? Will they hire English speaking folks?
Hows the living houses and such?

Actually cost of living here is kinda on the high side. I think HK is one of the 10 most place to live next to Zurich, Tokyo, and NY. But hey we are modellers, if we get cheap model, what else we should care? #:-)

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2002 - 11:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Over the last few years I've started to indulge my self on certain kits. In between these I build mostly OOB. But when I do go nuts it usually costs. current model....

Italeiri M109 SP Gun $20
Warriors replacement main gun $20
Warrriors Turret update $30
Warriors Hull Update $45
Royal Models M109AL update(IDF) $25?
Royal Models IDF jerry cans $8
Skybow tracks $15
AFV club ammo set $?
Eduard IDF M109 set $18
AEF design upgrade to 'Doher' the IDF's latest variant
AEF designs early set

All told cost is about $250 dollars of After Market stuff. The saving grace for me is Writing articles, they pay for the little extras. Right now I'm eyeing that AA 'ward la france' wrecker.
I guess instead of doing My usual 15 Or so tanks a year I'm down to 8 to 10. For me It's worth it.
Josh Weingarten
aKa shiryon

Josh,

I feel your pain! Believe me, I am in the same catagory. I can afford to purchase this stuff, because it helps me build a better model, and eases the scratch-building side of the hobby. But that doesn't change the fact that I feel a little guilty spending so much on one kit!
Funny you should mention the AA Ward La France wrecker, I was also eyeing one of them to go with my Dragon Wagon, since they quite often worked as a team. But then I heard about the new Tank Transporter they had coming out. So I switched my interest from the 'La France'.. That is until...............I heard the price of the new kit....over $400.00!!!!
Holy Batman!

Tread.
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2002 - 03:09 AM UTC
Hi Tread ! ...........Great Topic !
Yes, I agree that AM accessories definitely add up.
But I have no problem with spending the money. As long as I'm
enjoying myself and my hand's are tinkering away - That's what it's all about !
....And let's not forget that these AM accessories, ultimately improve a
model so much !
Here's what my latest model project has cost so far:
1) Academy M18 - $24.00
AM Accessories for M18
- Verlinden Interior $30
- Verlinden Exterior $30
- Fruil Tracks $24
- Verlinden U.S. Vehicle Stowage $9
- Jordi Rubio 76mm $10
- Archer Dry Transfers Sets $25
- Warrior Tank Destroyer Crew $19
OK' - so to build this "bad-boy " , I'm putting an extra $147 into it - ( of course this is
by choice ) and with the kit itself = $171 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( LOL ) And I didn't even include all
the S&H charges, because I did order everything through the internet, except the TD
itself ( got that at my local hobby shop ).
And Tread - I plan to put this TD in a diorama with an M4A3, German Panther & Sd Kfz 251
halftrack, and other German and U.S figures set's. - Now all the armor will most likely
go the same general AM accessory route as the M18.
....So the complete diorama will probably be running way over $1000, beacuse I will be
adding dio accessories ( building's, etc. ) also.
Yes, the AM stuff get's very expensive. We all know this little tune very well ! #:-)
And to just comtemplate for one minute, " that all these extra hundreds
of dollars spent, can easily stem off from just one $12 to $35 model kit " .
....This is however, by sole choice of the modeler himself and how far he
want's to take it. !
- ralph
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
entire network: 793 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2002 - 03:44 AM UTC
Gulp, ad he steps up,

My name is Dod, oh no it's not, it's Jack, whoosh almost forgot there for a second! Thing is.... I have an entire Box full (shoe box dimensions) of photo etched parts, a box of track links, a box of cannon barrels, a cupboard full of resin conversions, add ons and kit. But I LOVE it!! I'd like to just seee "them" come and take them away! No get away, gett outta here now you her, Whew that was a close one! Seriously if You guy's want to help keep Captain Jacks shelves stocked full of goodies read Military Modelcraft International, Fine Scale, and Steel Masters... They help pay the bills! Darned good reading too, even if I do say so myself! Now what were we talking about again

Gregarious Jack
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2002 - 07:19 AM UTC
O.K, gregarious Jack, I'll bite.....why would my buying Military Modelcraft, Fine Scale, and Steel Masters help your cupboard?
Maybe I'm the only one in the dark here... ....probably.

Tread.

BTW, I always purchase Military Modelcraft, I mostly purchase Fine Scale, and I would like to buy every Steel Masters but the frustration level I can achieve by trying to figure out 'Frog' can become palpable. #:-)
Love the pics though!
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2002 - 07:21 AM UTC
Oops! Sorry again. Too many beers on the weekend can cause a severe case of 'political incorrectness'....my apologies. I meant to say 'French'.
 _GOTOTOP