_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: AMPS
Topics about AMPS (Armor Model and Preservation Society).
Hey i might get a picture in FSM!!
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2004 - 10:52 AM UTC
Hey, I went to AMPS this saturday, and lefty all my models on the junior table, I come back an hour later to see if there is any more models ther, and there is an FSM picture card there! WOOH!! So I went to get its picture done! So, according to some people, 1 in 10 make it to the magazine, but my young age should help me along. That bum who won gold and best of in junior didn't get a picture taken, so I beat him somewhere!
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 545 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2004 - 11:46 AM UTC
Way Coooooolllll lil bro!

Glad that you had a very good experience at the show.

Dave
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,667 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2004 - 11:51 AM UTC
Hehe.will the pic appear in the rogues gallery??????????

Seriously though, well done AW

Pete
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,314 Posts
KitMaker Network: 185 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2004 - 12:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That bum who won gold and best of in junior didn't get a picture taken, so I beat him somewhere!

Good to see your competitive juices flowing here Lord Stomp :-)

What did FSM take a pic of --- can you take one yourself and add it to this thread?

Congrats by the way.

Signed
Stomp jr
airwarrior
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2004 - 12:31 PM UTC

Tha bum who won the gold didn't even paint his tracks, or weather!

bah

stooperd AMPS and thier judging mostly on construction!
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2004 - 03:42 PM UTC
Congratulations!
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2004 - 04:46 PM UTC
i like young guys that have the spirit of the winner
BRAVO
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 12:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

bah

Ummm... what exactly is stupid about the amps system?

What do you find objectionable about having the majority of your points come from clean building and finishing? And how is that different from any other judging system?

Aren't you happy you are judged by a team of your fellow armor builders, rather than the plane guys who could not judge plane catagories since they entered, or by guys who haven't built in 5 or more years?

Aren't you happy to recieve comments and feedback from each judge?

Isn't throwing out the low score an equitable way to ensure balance at the judging table?

Is it being judged against a common standard?
Is it knowing the scoring system ahead of time? It's published on the web page.

Is it the chance to volunteer to judge and see the system first hand?

Do you object ot a system that can award 20 'first place' gold medals, no silvers and 10 bronzes in one catagory?

I am an AMPS member, and had started the post about 'who on armorama is going'
I saw you accept your award, and was part of the intermediate bronze crew just after.
I would have loved a silver, but my choice of entries, within the current amps system, precluded that.
I brought a Tamiya Leopard 2A5 and a Tamiya T55 and neither scored the full point for 'degree of difficulty', neither had a raft of aftermarket on it and neither scored highly there either.

But now I know, if I want to compete in the AMPS system and end up with a gold medal, how to go about it.

I am not too pleased with the amps predisposition to 'pile on the aftermarket' or said another way, penalizing the out of the box builder.

I did not know before judging ( I did volunteer) that a bibliography does NOT count toward the extra .5 point for references, but a picture or two would.

I think in some ways the AMPS system needs tweeking and will ask at their DG
http://www.network54.com/Forum/279967
about the resaoning behind the seeming advantage given to aftermarket laden, 'challenging' subjects. But I won't do it in a way that seems like sour grapes " I didn't win". It's MY organization too and I can have a say in the way it does things.

Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 1,966 Posts
KitMaker Network: 297 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 04:10 AM UTC
Well put Mike. I have attended a couple of meetings of the new AMPS Atlanta here in Georgia and that was also the one thing that put me off. I can get a case of AMS as bad (or worse) than the next guy but if I want to build a kit OOTB here and there I'd like to think if I did enter it in a contest that it wouldn't be penalized for being OOTB. Airwarrior, it's nice to be competative, but remember this is a hobby it's supposed to be fun. The "bum" who finished ahead of you could have very easily have put as much or more time and effort into his model as you did yours. Take what you learned this year and apply it to future builds.

Cheers,
Mike
Babva
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 141 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 09:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That bum who won gold and best of in junior didn't get a picture taken, so I beat him somewhere!

How do you know he didn't have his model pic taken... you left and came back.I have seen FSM leave those cards to be filled out for a pic... as soon as someone sets their model on the table.

Maybe while your were gone ... FSM came by... left the winner a card... he was there and had his models' pic taken.

Something... to think about.

GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 10:02 AM UTC
Well AW - I'm happy you had a good time and I hope your model photo appears in FSM.

Don't be surprised if it takes awhile. I've had dozens of my models photographed by FSM over the years, and only a few have made it into print so far. They use them for different purposes, and sometimes special subject matter in issues.

Gunnie
tsunami
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 14 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 11:02 AM UTC
First off congratulations at AMPS. I was there also and was competing in the advanced category. I believe I saw you receive your award you were sitting near the front if I remember right. I consider it one of the best shows around and I believe there judging is great. They focus on the two major areas construction and finish and the way we judged this year construction was the main determent of how high it scored. Painting is the second thing they look at and with out solid construction you probably wont score high. Addressing the situation about out of the box I to think there is some problems there. This year I won a silver and 2 golds and the only thing that kept my T55 from winning gold is the “scope of effort”. Although I do believe in some cases it is appropriate taking into account that a modeler went the extra mile he should be awarded for it. About finescale if your picture goes in it will most likely be in great scale modeling 2004. Last year I had my picture taken at AMPS and it was in GSM 2003. The only time they have AMPS photos is in GSM. Another thing that “bum” is a good friend from NY of mine. I have seen his work many times and he has won at the IPMS Nationals twice, second to me. His work is very good although his painting basic his construction is almost flawless. Anyway glad to see your work in person and good luck next year.

John (18)
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 11:25 AM UTC
all i gotta say is good job, i'll be sure to look for you pic, just let me know if you get in, and who ya are, and of course someone will post it on the site...right???

well good job too ya man

Mech-Maniac
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,698 Posts
KitMaker Network: 130 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 01:56 PM UTC
FSM works 8 months to a year in advance, but I would keep an eye out for the model show special they produce. Its likely that most of the pictures that make it in from AMPS will be in that issue.
airwarrior
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 02:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

How do you know he didn't have his model pic taken... you left and came back.I have seen FSM leave those cards to be filled out for a pic... as soon as someone sets their model on the table.

Maybe while your were gone ... FSM came by... left the winner a card... he was there and had his models' pic taken.

Something... to think about.

A. His models were clearly there before I got there, way before they started to really send out the cards.

B. His models never moved, I returned more than once to check what was being judged, and his models remained in the same position, until the judging started.

C. And mine were clearly better J/K
airwarrior
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 02:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

bah

Ummm... what exactly is stupid about the amps system?

What do you find objectionable about having the majority of your points come from clean building and finishing? And how is that different from any other judging system?

Aren't you happy you are judged by a team of your fellow armor builders, rather than the plane guys who could not judge plane catagories since they entered, or by guys who haven't built in 5 or more years?

Isn't throwing out the low score an equitable way to ensure balance at the judging table?

Is it being judged against a common standard?
Is it knowing the scoring system ahead of time? It's published on the web page.

Is it the chance to volunteer to judge and see the system first hand?

Do you object ot a system that can award 20 'first place' gold medals, no silvers and 10 bronzes in one catagory?

I am an AMPS member, and had started the post about 'who on armorama is going'
I saw you accept your award, and was part of the intermediate bronze crew just after.
I would have loved a silver, but my choice of entries, within the current amps system, precluded that.
I brought a Tamiya Leopard 2A5 and a Tamiya T55 and neither scored the full point for 'degree of difficulty', neither had a raft of aftermarket on it and neither scored highly there either.

But now I know, if I want to compete in the AMPS system and end up with a gold medal, how to go about it.

I am not too pleased with the amps predisposition to 'pile on the aftermarket' or said another way, penalizing the out of the box builder.

I did not know before judging ( I did volunteer) that a bibliography does NOT count toward the extra .5 point for references, but a picture or two would.

I think in some ways the AMPS system needs tweeking and will ask at their DG
http://www.network54.com/Forum/279967
about the resaoning behind the seeming advantage given to aftermarket laden, 'challenging' subjects. But I won't do it in a way that seems like sour grapes " I didn't win". It's MY organization too and I can have a say in the way it does things.

Man I just finished War and peace and became frozen! Stooperd computer!!!

Ah well.
Ok now to retype,

Quoted Text

What do you find objectionable about having the majority of your points come from clean building and finishing?

That is good, and my comment was intended to be a joke, so I used a funny version of stupid.
I have nothing wrong with the AMPS system, In fact I prefer it over other means of judging.

Quoted Text

Question 1- Yes I am glad it was an armor builder instead of a stooperd wingy-thingy buuilder, and that probably none of them have taken a long leave of abscence and are just getting back.

question 2- I love those comments, they are so helpful, especially to me, as I have only been modeling for maybe year or and a half or so, and have made vast improvements in my skills, though not near perfect and those comments are very helpful in getting back what my faults are. I do wish some were more specific sometimes as I do not know what was wrong with the weathering on my stuart

Quoted Text

Airwarrior, it's nice to be competative, but remember this is a hobby it's supposed to be fun. The "bum" who finished ahead of you could have very easily have put as much or more time and effort into his model as you did yours

It was meant as a joke, and not meant to be offensive
Quoted Text

Another thing that “bum” is a good friend from NY of mine. I have seen his work many times and he has won at the IPMS Nationals twice, second to me. His work is very good although his painting basic his construction is almost flawless. Anyway glad to see your work in person and good luck next year.

His construction of his was very good, not a sink-hole or seam to be seen, that right there is my big weakness,construction is so boring! It is so much more fun to get the airbrush working than to fill ejector pin marks!and its tedous too :-|

:-)8 #:-)
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 790 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 03:51 PM UTC
Wish you luck with the pic
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 01:14 PM UTC
Congrats Aw aka FC Very nice looking T-34 BTW,how is the MIG-29 coming along? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDD WWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
 _GOTOTOP