_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Ca Debonder
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 11:47 PM UTC
Anybody figure out what is in debonder? I bought a bottle the other week, and I finally opened it, and I know I smelled that smell before, and I never had debonder before, and I found out it works like a charm, but 4 or 5 dollars an ounce is mighty steep.
I was wondering if it is the smell of carbon tet or how ever you spell it, anyway, it is the stuff you use to hone out the cylinders on your brake housing, on brakeshoes type brakes on cars.
It has been so many years sense I've done a brake job, I can't remember if this is what it smells like, so I was hopeing that maybe somebody else might have some of that cabon tet or how ever you say or spell it, anyway that is close to the way it sounds, but anyway see if they have it on hand to see if that is what it smells like.
Or does anybody know what is in it, if not
Who knows we might crack their secret, and save a fortune.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 01:15 AM UTC
Nail Polish Remover!!!!! is that smell (CA debonder may be a little more concentrated though)
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 01:24 AM UTC
Acetone is what you smell as familiar.
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 649 Posts
KitMaker Network: 261 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 03:30 AM UTC
Go directly to your local drug store and buy nail polish remover. Not the scented type, not the type that is kind to your hands....L:OL Just get the store brand straight nail polish remover. That is acetone.
When using to debond CA, use it very carefully. It will discolor and distort and soften the plastic. (I speak from experience)
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 10:16 PM UTC
Yes Pipesmoker this stuff I bought from my LHS it softens the plastic to plus turns it white, but it is worth the trade off I guess. It done what I wanted, I just had some cleaning up to do afterwards.
But on the fingernail polish remover now I don't ever remember being around it before either, I swear this smell, is a smell that I have smelled in the garage before, not on a girlfriend. But I'm going to try to get hold of some remover to see.
My memory keeps wanting to go back to honing out the cylinder on the brake jobs I used to do, that liquid that helped the hones cut the cylinder walls, so the new seals didn't leak, carbon tet or something like that seems to stick in my mind.
But I'll try to find them both and compare to see which it was, probably you guys are right, like I said, that smell is from a long time ago, but I know I have smelled that smell somewhere, you know how when you get that feeling when you know you smelled it before, but just can't think what it is.
Thank you Matt, Kencelot,and Pipsmoker for filling me in on the polish remover, like I said I'll give that a try to see.

Kerry
 _GOTOTOP