_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
Hullo from a newbie.
spiffdoodle
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 5 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 01:19 PM UTC
I stumbled on this site while I was using Google to find information on model building.

Seems I hit the mother load.

Well to give some background, I'm a newbie... I haven't done a model since I was, I dunno... 10? Younger? Snap-tite even? I dunno. My older brother did models really well, but that was in the good old Aurora kit days.... I've recently seen some kids dioramas of World War II in the high school, they look so interesting and life like that i figured "Hey, if a 15 year old can do it... maybe a 26 year old can!"

I haven't done anything artistic in awhile either, with the exception of doing web and graphic design. I have a lot of drive, just no direction or tools, haha. Which can be a problem when you live in the back woods. I don't mind buying online, prefer it actually.

So where do I start, what do you suggest I begin with as a model? Size? What basic items to use? Has this been asked 10 million times already and I shoulda searched the entire forum?

My interests: Vietnam to current, roleplaying minatures, figure painting and model building, and making dioramas. Heh!

So anyway, hullo
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 01:53 PM UTC
Welcome to Armorama spiffdoodle. You have indeed hit the "Mother load of modeling sites" here. WE have a lot of very talented and friendly people here who love to show and share their work with all. Since you asked and I see that you like the Vietnam Era let me be the first to suggest building Gun Trucks. AFV Club makes a fairly nice example to start with. Myself and Mr. Roo along with our resident Gunnie will be very happy to help you out. Treadhead and Keefe along with Maj Rob and a host of others here are at your service. Enjoy..
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 02:08 PM UTC
Howdy there Spiffdoodle! Welcome aboard!! Couldn't say it any better than Animal has but, I would like to reiterate that you certainly have found the "Mother load of modeling sites". You're gonna love it here!

May I suggest that starting off with a piece of artillery to get you back in the swing of things? We've just started this lovely "Incoming" campaign that deals with artillery from mortars (:p) to missiles from day one (to include Monty Python weaponry ) and would love to have you jump right on in! (Feet first of course! :-) )

You'll learn alot in this place! Enjoy! :-)
steve203
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 579 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 02:12 PM UTC
Hello and welcome. I would suggest starting with a tank. 1/35 scale is good. Just pick one from the era of your choosing. Make it something you are interested in. Have fun and feel free to post on the forum any questions you have. There are a lot of experienced modellers here and they have help me a bunch. Welcome, Steve
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 702 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 02:15 PM UTC
Hello and welcome! Glad you found us. You're never too old or too young to start (or restart) building.
As for your questions, if you're interested in armor and figures 1/35 scale is a very good place to start. There is a lot of variety and it's a decent size for detail without taking up too much space, unless you get really ambitious. Also, it might help to pick up some relatively basic books on kit building. The volumes by Shepherd Paine are a very good source of ideas for what tools and materials you'll need and a good introduction to some of the techniques used.
If all else fails, don't hesitate to ask more questions here. Everyone will do everything they can to help you out.
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 05:54 PM UTC
Welcome to Armorama..you chose a very good place as home to start modelling. glad you joined the family
Starting with an m113 ACAV can be good.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 06:38 PM UTC
Welcome aboard my friend you ve been in the Planet of Modelling in this site. Ask for any help and u ll have it. Seconding my Brother Engin a M113 would be a nice start and i think Academy makes em well . I d suggest you d buy at least at start well known and reviwed kits with no fitting and building problems to gain confidence in your skills and have some good results from the start. Check on the forums items about painting, washes, weathering, dry brushing, pastels, decals, to have handy usefull information on your bench and dont be afraid to ask even if u think a question is silly. The easiest questions have the more diffcult answers !!!!

Greetings from Greece - Costas
spiffdoodle
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 06:53 PM UTC
*face blanks, blinks stupidly with a squishy eyelid sound*

Ok, slow down...

hehe, model numbers of armor is gonna make me go cross eyed.

I do have a limited budget, buying volumes of books may not happen right away. I've also done some wandering and reading here at the forum and see that you folks like to use airbrushes... Spraying matte or a base coat is ok by me but buying an airbrush may be out of the question at this point...I hope it's not a requirement.

I'd like to have some of you folks set up a purchase list for a starter project for a newbie, I think that would get me on track. I'm pretty open to anything, except I wanna keep to a certain time frame (ie Vietnam to present). I'd like to have land based stuff, but I am not against naval or aero...

So, uh, items for a short shopping list? Basic tools, model idea, types of paint, glues, putty I see is being used, haha, I'm clueless...Wanna start small (for example I don't wanna huge intricate model).

Thanks so far, nice to meet all you fine folk!
spiffdoodle
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 03:38 AM UTC
Oh, where do I purchase these items?
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 04:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh, where do I purchase these items?

Welcome spiffdoodle! (Cool CallSign!) Of all the modeling gems on the Internet today - you have arrived at the Hope Diamond of them all. Enjoy & build a gun truck!

In answer to your question above, my first advice would be to frequent your LHS (Local Hobby Shop). We're all pretty much in agreement we've gotta help to keep the local guys in business for us and future modelers.

If none is near enough to you, then there are several places on the Internet that provide great services and selections for modelers. Everyone has favorites - you'll find out. I recommend Squadron Mail Order, VLS Corp Mail Order, MilitaryHobbies, MissionModels, and Great Models Webstore to pull five off the top of my head. All can be found easily through a search engine like Google - or better still by going to the Links Section here on Site.

Gunnie
spiffdoodle
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 06:00 AM UTC
Ok so the M113A1 (Vietnam Version) from Academy looks fun...

Besides that and help from the great hamster god Ferdinand...

What do I need? Sprue cutters obviously... but uhm... what type of paint and glue and diorama stuff? I'd like to stick this vehicle next to an overgrown asian temple entrance or something... maybe someplace on/near a firebase... or a camp.... or or...

*cough*

Paint, glue, decals, diorama materials you suggest?

Sorry if I'm being bothersome and needy!
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 06:32 AM UTC
Tools: I recommend keeping a simple set. I have after all these years...

Toothpick(s) - great glue applicators and cheap!
White Glue - cheap and versatile seam and gap filler
Liquid Cement - I like Testors ModelMaster and Tenax7-R - but everyone has a preference. Better and easier to control than the old "tube glues". Not as toxic either as the older tube glues that could stink you outta the house...
Super Glue - for bonding different materials to your plastic model - principally photoetched and resin parts.
Needle Files - very good work working down and working out manufacturing flaws and artifacts out of your model kit.
Tweezers - good to hold small parts - but - also the primary source of energy for the dreaded "tweezer launch" that often feeds many a modeler's hungry Carpet Monsters out there. Get either a locking set - or a set with little "teeth" to help grip parts but not mar them.
Double Sided Tape - I use Scotch Brand for painting and securing small subassemblies/parts into place until I need them.
Sanding Sticks - various grades - can't really do without them. Get some coarser grades for working down resin pour plugs...
Scissors - keep a nice sharp pair for trimming decals - only use it for that purpose and they'll stay keen for a long time.
Sprue Cutters (Nippers) - great and long-lasting tool for cutting parts away from sprue trees - again - if you use them for that purpose primarily.
X-Acto Knife & Assorted Blades - keeping a sharp blade and more than one handle for using different types of blades helps make your modeling efforts easier and results finer. I keep a #11 Blade for general purpose hacking & slashing. I use the "D" blade for working out ejector pin marks because the curved portion of the blade help prevent you from catching an edge and gouging out the plastic. And lastly I use a flat or chisel-point blade for removing parts from photoetch frets. It makes a clean cut.

These are basic tools that I carry around anywhere. I also pack a small square of glass to cut photoetch on, a battery-powered Dremel tool to make cutting and drum sanding easier, and a small cutting mat so as not to destroy anyone's table when I happen to sit down and ravage plastic.

Gunnie
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 09:32 AM UTC
Welcome to the big "A" Spiffdoodle! As you can already see, we're all happy when new blood hits these pages. I for one and very happy that you found us through a Google search. That means even more will find us!

Anyway, to continue with your quest and to add to Gunnie's dyno listing, I hope to further with you assistance, while saving a few $.
If you are one of the lucky ones that has members of the female persuasion in the same dwelling as you, you might be able to save a few bucks by mounting a raid on their equipment. The below items are certainly not full replacements for the real McCoys, but they will certainly get you going.
Emery boards are a great sanding alternative on the cheap.
Nail clippers double as sprue cutters - be careful because they have that little curve.
What woman doesn't have tweezers?!
Rubber bands work great for clamping.
Those big fluffy brushes they use on their faces are good for "broad" applications of pastel dustings and to soften and blend pastels for weathering.

Away from the women's counter, start collecting those coffee stir sticks which are great for mixing paints and some scratch building projects IE. fences, house framing, etc...
Yogurt cups are good for storing small parts as is some of those clear plastic containers that cakes and other yummy foods come in.
There are tons of other "household" items too that are great for this hobby. Look around the house, you'll be surprised with what you can come up with.

For on-line shopping, look HERE
spiffdoodle
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 10:26 AM UTC
Wow, these are great tips (and I almost snorted pepsi all over my LCD when I read about 'tweezer launching'). Thanks guys.

I'll start grabbing some of this stuff up...

Now all I need to figure out is model paint, dirt, grass, stones, buildings, etc.
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
entire network: 3,098 Posts
KitMaker Network: 899 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 02, 2004 - 09:51 AM UTC
Welcome, glad that you found us. If you have any questions or need anything, don't hesitate to ask.

kbm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 678 Posts
KitMaker Network: 194 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 02, 2004 - 10:33 AM UTC
Welcome to Armorama Spiffdoodle. Instead of the Academy M113, might I recommend the Tamiya, as you would also get a few decent figures that could go on that first diorama. I notice you are from Alabama, any Hobby Lobbys or Michaels there? They have a wealth of diorama making materials ther, just go and brouse. You will also find a great deal of information here on this site regarding diorama making. Some basics I can recommend are Celluclay and Durham's Water putty for the basic groundwork. You can find the Celluclay at HL and the Durham's at Home Depot. Also cheap craft acrylic paints (also available at HL) for coloring your groundwork. HL also sells premade wooden plaques that will make a good base to work on. Don't hesitate to ask questions. Finally, don't be afraid to just dive in and get started on that first diorama, doing is the best way to learn.

Keith
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 04:24 AM UTC
Welcome to the site! I'm sure you'll be as good as them because you've joined the big "A"
 _GOTOTOP