_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Modeller's Block
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 11:31 AM UTC
I have a Tamiya's Panzerkampfwagen IV on the go for the last six months and just can't get myself working on it or anything else right now. I love to do my models, but I just haven't been able to do anything since I moved. Is there something wrong with me????

I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem and what you did to get yourself over it and back being a productive modeller again.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 11:44 AM UTC
everyone sufferes it m8 it'll come back you'll see some kit or what ever and it'll get you iching to start again but the better weathers comming soon so I'll bet it'll be my turn with it soon got my scooter away getting sprayed and then its into the garage to re-build it and then ride it so less time for modelling why not tryb a quick oob build some thing easy in 1/72 or along those lines
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 11:45 AM UTC
Augie - get out there and enjoy life a little bit! Go fishing, hike, camp, waste time in the park. Anything - you'll regain your balance and will be back to modeling before you know it!

Gunnie
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
entire network: 779 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 11:47 AM UTC
you probably overdid it and burnt yourself out, that usually happens to me and it means that I need a rest, or that I need to start a new model. try to do something different that relates to the subject of your models(like playing BATTLEFIELD 1942!!!) that usually gets me on going again.
good luck!!
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 01:18 PM UTC
Have no fear Augie... you will be ok... we all go thru this from time to time. I've got it real bad right now myself... cabin fever after a long winter... much better days are coming!

Neill
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,255 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 02:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

love to do my models, but I just haven't been able to do anything since I moved. Is there something wrong with me???? I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem and what you did to get yourself over it and back being a productive modeller again.

Let me sprinkle you with the holy water... ( liquid cement, so closes your eyes) and wave the Tamyia Kit over your head three times.... now click you heel and say three time... "There is nothing like modeling... there is nothing like modeling… there is nothing like modeling..." or is that modelling with two "L’s"....

Hmmmmmmm let me check the ancient Holy Text of Modeling...

Now let me see where is my Shep Paine Book....

Relax, enjoy and get back when you are inspired to do so, I have taken days, weeks, months and at one point 22 years off modeling... or is that modeling…/

There is still HOPE!

Enjoy,

John
www.johnneill.com
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 02:27 PM UTC
There is a lot of stress in moving, whether you wanted to move or not, it is still stress, and to some people way more then others. Let life catch up to you, then things will seem to come back to normal, take some of Gun Trucks advice go out and enjoy a little of other lifes pleasures.
Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 604 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2004 - 06:00 AM UTC
Suggested therapy:

. Kick everyone out of the house.

. Grab a beer/snacks, etc. and get in your favorite chair.

. Watch Band of Brothers, A Bridge too Far, Kelly's Heroes, The Longest Day, Saving Private Ryan, Full Metal Jacket, etc., etc.

Art
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2004 - 06:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Kick everyone out of the house.

No-can-do.... the Mrs. has those guns of hers ya know.... ya, the ones that I bought for her...(:
Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 604 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2004 - 08:53 AM UTC
That's O.K.-just give her spending money-she'll go (man with 3 ex-wives speaks).

Art
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2004 - 09:01 AM UTC
Try a change of subject. I find making a cheapo sci-fi kit makes you use your imagination and gets the creative urge going again.
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2004 - 09:33 AM UTC
i just got back in to the hooby last summer.
i was burned out for a while a few years lol.
but what i do now is i just work on my models when i feel like it,
some times i wont do any work for 3 days .
but like the one guy said watch some war moives, that will put u in the mood.
plus maybe u can start another model just leave that panzer in the box.
AntPhillips
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 118 Posts
KitMaker Network: 22 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 04:57 AM UTC
Hi Augie,

I know how you feel, I seem to be suffering from one form or other of modellers block for ages.

I do find that tidying up the modelling area helps, it seems to give me a sense of purpose again and I usually end up picking up on an unfinished project before I finish tidying.

I'm hoping to clear some space in my garage this summer to create a workshop area, and hopefully I'll then be able to get on with the umpteen unstarted & unfinished kits in my stash.

Hope the block fades quickly, happy modelling
Ant
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,305 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 12:35 AM UTC
Augie,
Try going to a modelling store. I took a break in modeling for a little while (20 years of Naval Service) and man, that sure did the trick for me. I saw all those models and it really flooded back. I did a car, and have been doing military models ever since.
flitzer
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 01:51 AM UTC
Don't panic Augie,
if you've just moved you'll probably be in aftershock.....especially as you'll have lots to do on the new place. Give it time and once your new place feels like it really is yours you'll be right at it again.

You could start thinking about how to do your modelling room...just to get the juices flowing?

Cheers
Peter
:-)
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 07:26 PM UTC
I believe that all the above have some dosis of truth !! I mean i model sometimes a lot sometimes less than i want and sometimes not at all. Depending on other obligations of family kid business, stress problems. But i ve found through my 26 years and 24 of them modelling that, you need to be in a good mental condition to enjoy building. Also you need to de toxicate once in a while to get your skills back and your apetite. i ve also seen that gathering many many things unbuild leads you into the mud of boring some of them not deciding what to do . So if you have 10-20 kits in stash you are always excused for a walk in the shop. If you have 200-300 no excuses there.
I play metal cage 5 x 5 football listen to music , read books ,baby sit my 13 months daughter and do as many different things i can in my time . So you gain interest and freshness to move on

Costas
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 08:32 PM UTC
Thanks alot for your advice on this, guys. I really appreciate it alot. I finally got my bench into shape and have started a new kit, leaving the old on behind to be completed in the future. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who has run into this kind of problem, really didn't think I was, but you can get feeling that way sometimes.
Once again, thanks for all your adivice.
Teacher
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,924 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 09:12 PM UTC
Been there..............

Vinnie
 _GOTOTOP