_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
model's life span?
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2004 - 02:26 AM UTC
Hi. I was wondering just what the life spand on a model is? While I was tearing out the back bed room last week I was looking at some older models I'd built about 5 or 6 years ago and as I picked them up I noticed things were loose and literally falling off as I examined them. One was so bad that I just kept some pieces that I throught might come in handy for a later day and just canned it. And I noticed that I have at least one more that is almost in that state itself. Now a lot of my older models have been sitting out in the open on a shelf, so I would imagine that this general 'openness' and the dust that collects on them isn't the best thing in the world for their life span. (The newer models I've built in the last year or so are in a closed cabinet, of sorts, away from the general house dust and cat hair.)

And of course, being inside the house, with all it's dryness, esp. in the winter time, can't be good for them either. (I have some models out in a cupboard in the garage that are almost as old as the one I threw away and they don't seem to be any worse for wear.

So I was just wondering of any of you other modelers have run into a similar experience and how well are your mdels holding up that you built several years ago.

Thanks and take care, Sgirty
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2004 - 02:29 AM UTC
Expoisure to the sun's UV rays may be the culprit!!!!
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2004 - 02:55 AM UTC
Not sure what the life span is or what contributes, UV definitely would affect it. The type of glue used, type of materials (organic, plastic etc.) would also affect it.

I had a diorama where a figure was glued to the base and he just popped off as I picked up the dio. That one is only about 2 years old.

Sooner or later they're going to go..... I make sure I photograph all of mine for the history of it.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2004 - 03:00 AM UTC
I have models that were built over 20 years ago that've been under glass and out of the sunlight (but subject to hot in the summer and cold in the winter) that still look great and remain intact.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2004 - 03:30 AM UTC
I know the UV rays from the sun have a lot a effect on a lot of different plastics, I've hauled plastic that was used to put in between the concrete on the interstate in Utah out by Salt Lake for drainage, now just as long as it wasn't exposed to the sunlight, they cliaimed it would last forever, but just one week of exposure was enough to start showing deterioration, and they had to throw the whole load away.
I got models in the 40 year old range, but they were kept out of the sun light, and the plastic looks as same as it was when new, now the glue is another story. that tube glue never was any good in my opinion. But back then the models were made a lot tougher, not the paper thin plastic you can see thru today.
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2004 - 03:40 AM UTC
i think they last a really long time.
because in my basment i have cars that i built when i was in my early teens,
and they are still together.
so they are about 17 years old
as long as no body touches them i guess they are ok
Dixon66
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,500 Posts
KitMaker Network: 154 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2004 - 04:30 AM UTC
I have kits I built 20+ years ago, they've been sitting on shelves in my basement workshop or in shoeboxes for all that time. The first ones were built w/ tube glue and are still intact.
Rubber/vinyl wheels have not cracked or dried out either.

Dave S.
Longshanks
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 191 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2004 - 04:30 AM UTC
Thats funny, Mine don't seem to come apart! Especially when I need pieces!
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2004 - 04:57 AM UTC
I still have a few kits I built 20+ years ago and they seem fine. Some even survived a shipment from Europe.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2004 - 08:43 PM UTC
I also have some stuff from my teens over 20 years builds that keep well though some of them tend to show a colour fading . More of this during the years i now notice that many models later made have been in worst condition while they were in the open sunlight and dust for exposing reasons , while older stuff, closed in the locker having to see the sun 10 years or more are very fine till now!!!!
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2004 - 09:36 PM UTC
I'm not sure maybe the tube glue might of held, who knows after going thru a mother and girlfriend, and all this time I was blaming the glue.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2004 - 11:13 PM UTC
Have models built 10 or 15 years ago still glued together have been in boxes all this time and still in one piece except for the mysterious broken piece.
bilko
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 584 Posts
KitMaker Network: 200 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 01:06 AM UTC

Gee I know some that didn't even survive the construction stage.

When I was 19 and went off to uni my mum generously donated all my models (about 75) to my cousin. 27 years later he still has a couple and they seem to be in pretty good nick, and they were all tube glue.

My more recent ones - the last 8 years - especially the hanging aircraft are all OK spiders web and dust included.

Brian
 _GOTOTOP