_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Lead foil?
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 09:22 PM UTC
Gentlemen, where can I get lead foil. WHAT IS lead foil?
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
entire network: 3,377 Posts
KitMaker Network: 925 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 09:45 PM UTC
1st. you drink some redwine, then you carefully take of that metalfoil thats surrounds the cork and bottleopening.

Voila!

It has 2 advantages - its an excuse to drink some redwine and the foil is free...

Bevare - some wine manufators use plasticsealing ... - but the wine is still good!
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2004 - 12:36 AM UTC
Lead foil has a number of uses in scratchbuilding, flags, rifle slings, etc. I bought some here, and it should be enough for a lifetime of modeling. Do a product search for “lead foil”.

Lead foil

Mike
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2004 - 01:13 AM UTC
Another source is food containers, yogurt lids, coffee lids/containers...... Lots of sources.
Golikell
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 126 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2004 - 01:40 AM UTC
Here in Europe leadfoil is forbidden nowadays around winebottles. The chance is that you get Alufoil on whinebottles.
WARLORD
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
entire network: 1,923 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2004 - 02:41 AM UTC
I buy lead foil in small fishing shop ( not in sportsupermaret). It is too thick so i flatten it with hammer
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2004 - 04:58 AM UTC
I saw a tiny little packet on sale at a model show for about £9. Too much. I bought a full square metre of 0.5mm LEAD sheet for £7.50 from a laboratory supply company here in UK. They have loads of stuff modellers can use, disposable pipettes, cover slips, scalpel blades.........LOADS!

Vinnie
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2004 - 05:14 AM UTC
Cuhail, since you are in the states I will recommend going to your dentist and asking for the lead foil backing from the mouth xrays. They can't throw it away and I am sure they would prefer to give it to you rather than pay to recycle it. I went twice and got a lifetime supply. He even autoclaved it for me.

Rob
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2004 - 05:31 AM UTC
For the price Verlinden gets for their foil, you can buy a bottle of Bella Serra wine and get as much lead foil as Verinden will sell you and get a nice wine as well. I think Yellowtail wine from down under also uses this.
If you have a cutting edge dentist, that source may be gone. Mine uses digital technology to do x-rays directly into a computer as a jpeg!
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
entire network: 471 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2004 - 07:12 AM UTC
Hey brother rob: Did the foil from the dentist need cleaning? Was the foil on the package in somebodies mouth? My sister got a ziplock bag full from her dentist, but didn't give me any warnings about germs etc, EWWW!!!
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2004 - 10:31 AM UTC
Sniff-sniff, I smell a geologist around here somewhere. hehe

Like I said, my dentist threw it in the autoclve to sterilize it before he gave it to me.
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
entire network: 471 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2004 - 10:57 AM UTC
HMMM, well I guess mine better go through a wash before I start handling them!
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2004 - 05:35 PM UTC
Well gentlemen, I have been answered and then some. Ya know, I have used some of the techniques you guys have posted and never knew what people have meant by "lead foil". I never knew that i could get it from my dentist though.
Thanks again! Murphy
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2004 - 06:16 PM UTC
today i am paying a visit to the dentist to get his foil amount!!!!
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 01:27 AM UTC
Please wear rubber or latex gloves when you handle lead. It is nasty stuff in your system. You can become brain-damaged and start to do weird things like building models.

Selahead
Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 604 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 01:47 AM UTC
Cut some strips from a toothpaste tube. They aren't lead anymore, at least not here, but still have the same bendable/formable qualities. There are some products that still come in lead foil tubes, though, so check around.

Art
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 07:08 AM UTC
I see you are in the US... here's some sources:

Michael's - check out the embossing area. There should be sheets of copper, pewter, brass and aluminum. All relatively inexpensive and usefull.

Grocery Store - some toothppastes still come in metal tubes. Some foods such as tomato paste come in metal tubes. Some hand creams come in metal tubes. Aluminum baking pans work really well, depending on what you want. You can also get the oven liners that are a really large sheet of material.
Dub
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 39 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 07:26 PM UTC
I get my lead foil from Kendall Jackson (cabernet or merlot).
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 08:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Please wear rubber or latex gloves when you handle lead. It is nasty stuff in your system. You can become brain-damaged and start to do weird things like building models.

Selahead

OH Don't be such a worry warttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
-error-
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2004 - 05:26 PM UTC
Kudos, Gentlemen. You've all come through with some good ideas! I didn't think that lead foil was actually lead due to the toxicity of the element, but I now get the gist.
Colt45
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 53 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 11:30 AM UTC
Murph, try using 36 ga. aluminum tooling foil sold at most craft shops for about 5 to 6 bucks. It cuts very easily and you get a ton of 5"X5" sheets. I have used it to make rifle and equipment straps, buckles, tarps etc.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 08:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Another source is food containers, yogurt lids, coffee lids/containers...... Lots of sources.

... with LEAD covers ??? Though some of these products use thin metal/alloy sheeting as a lid or as wrapping, they are not to be mistaken with lead.
Old wine bottles, champaigne bottles DO carry lead, though : there's no direct contact between the wine and the lead, since there's a cork in between. And even there, it's hard to find new bottles that use lead.
The message is : start stockpiling old wine bottles !

Rhino
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 28 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 08:41 AM UTC
When using lead be sure to clean it well and then give it a good coat of primer. Otherwise in a year or two it will develop strange white crusty spots (aka lead desease to older figure modelers) Vinegar makes a great cleaner just before primering.
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 05:28 PM UTC
Alright, I promise NOT to use actual lead. I think the alternatives are plentiful enough to everybody in the modeling world where we don't have to use the real thing!
Over the last X-mas season, my girlie received a big serving bowl FULL of chocolate coins wrapped in a tough foil that has become my source for a suitable material. I have to roll them out with a ink roller to lose the Ike dollar image embossed on the wrappers face and tail, but, I have a lot of them to work with!
Thanks for all the info, guys, I learned a lot from this thread!

Cuhail
 _GOTOTOP