Place your announcements here please.
great trader alert
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 19, 2004 - 11:53 PM UTC
I posted a topic the other week about lucky model well I got an email telling me that my order had been received,packed and on Monday got one to say it was being shipped, got it today from Hong kong! well wrappred and best of all they put the price of the kit (famo unit) as $10 US on the package and on the invoice inside incase customs opened it up result cheap source of kits without the customs duty! and a 1st class shipping handing needless to say I'm well chuffed!
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 12:55 AM UTC
It took me a few times reading it before I caught the drift, I'm supposing, well chuffed, means well satisfied. At first I thought customs did open it. the first few times that is what I thought, then on the fourth time I seen, if they did.
I'm still working on that saying you guys got about the fourth night, to what that means. I do have down the white spirits now. Who knows before long we will be able to talk to each other and understand each other completely. Best of luck with your new Famo.

Kerry
mikeli125
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 01:34 AM UTC
kerry,
reason about the invoice is customs here only allow a max purchace of 18 gbp over the net anything after it can be taxed I got stung on an airbrush last year had to pay the tax on the value of it and 15 for customs to open the box
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 06:52 AM UTC
Kerry The term is said fortnight basiclly it means two weeks,why i do not know.alright me old china.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 10:49 AM UTC
Thank you very much Easy Co I've heard it on TV many times, and nobody ever said what it meant, so it is fortnight, so now I know, another translation barrier has been broken for me, now I don't know about that me old china either. One thing you can say over there but it doesn't fly to good here is mate, unless it is the opposite sex.
When I was a kid my Dad used to take me to the barber and tell the barber to give me a butch, but now a days you can't say that here either, butch is no longer a burr haircut sense the gays took it as one of their names, anymore you got to watch what you say here. You might not mean nothing by it when you say it, but it seems everybody else does.
See I didn't know when I went into a barber, and asked for a butch, which it happened to be a woman barber, and she give me the most awful look, then a friend of mind told her I mean a burr, then my friend filled me in on the use of the name butch later on when we was not around that woman barber.
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 07:24 PM UTC
Straightedge, I dropped myself in it when I was talking on the phone to my brother who has lived in Canada for the last 25 years. I said to him "Hold on a minute whilst I roll a fag". Now in England that means to make a roll up cigarette but over the other side of the pond........well you will know. He went into hysterical laughter and I had to hang up the phone! What's the saying, 2 countries divided by a common language?
flitzer
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 09:30 PM UTC
Hi...
not only is the common language a problem on both sides of the Atlantic.
Coming from Wigan...here we go ...there's some sayings not even my fellow Brits would understand, let alone the Americans....tha 'noes.
for example...
Fauce,
Fae,
Corrun.
I think that's enough to be going on with.

Cheers
Peter

:-)
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 11:08 PM UTC
Yes, that cigarette rolling got me to laughing real hard, it has been a real, real long time sense I've heard that expression. 40 years or better sense we called them that.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2004 - 11:27 PM UTC
should we publish a vocabulary on special terms ?
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 12:03 AM UTC
LOL..... My poor old mum, God rest her soul, would ask people all the time if they wanted a "fag", up to the day she died...... LOL..
She use to get some strange looks and reactions from people.
Her standard answer was " If they don't like it, they can bugger off!"
The best part, my poor old mum wasn't from England, she was born and raise in New Jersey.

LOL......
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 12:37 AM UTC
My (American) Mother-in-law, may she rest in piece, was visiting England. The hotel clerk (clark?) asked her, "What time would like me to knock you up in the morning?"
She didn't expect such service from just a three star hotel, until she realized it meant "wake" you up.

Sealhead
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 02:21 AM UTC
Howdy All,

Having been born in Preston, England. And raised, for the most part of my adult life, here in the States, I've lived the double-language ' thing' all my life. And also, fortunately being of a sound education, and a political bent, many a battle was fought in school debating the 'proper' spelling of certain words, i.e., Colour, Armour, etc.
So, please, continue this discussion......I am really enjoying it!! :-) :-)
And if we all get a better understanding of the phrase's after discussing them, well then......"Bob's yer uncle!!"
And for those who have no wish to understand, all I can say is "On your bike!"

Tread.

Oh, one last parting comment. When I was in my twenties, and was living on the east coast of the United States and dating with any regularity. If I happened to 'get lucky' that particular time, and the young lady decided to stay the night. I, being the young well-mannered bloke would always ask the woman if she would like 'Banger's' in the morning.......well, they would normally take the phrase to mean the 'other' side of the double-entandre.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 11:06 AM UTC
ok heres a link which will give you a laugh watch out might offend some one its taken form a bbc comdey program and you can hear some "ned sounds" sites good fun if oyur bored #:-)
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 04:45 PM UTC
You guys are cracking me up!!!.....I about lost it with that "roll a fag" phrase...LOL!!!
 _GOTOTOP