_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
AFV Modeller Magazine
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 09:22 AM UTC
Does anybody in the U.S. subscribe to this magazine and if so, is it worth the huge price for airmail to the U.S.?

Jim, I saw your post in their forums. Are you a subscriber?
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 10:47 AM UTC
As far as I know, AFV Modeller isn't available in any store. It can only be delivered via air or surface mail.

I haven't seen Military Miniatures before. Is it armor oriented or a mix of everything military?

Barnes and Noble here carries Military in Scale and it seems pretty good.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 08:44 PM UTC
MMiR is a US publication that caters to armor/military figures. It's one of the magazines that I always intend to subscribe too, but usually pick it up after thumbing through it at the hobby shop.
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 08:46 PM UTC
Ok, thanks Rob. I'll have to check it out.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 09:13 PM UTC
AFV, is only available through subscription. Which to me is kinda strange for a new publication. Can't understand the reasoning behind that. I would think that a new publication would get more exposure if it was on the news stands. Oh well, I just wish I could see a copy before buying it.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 10:54 PM UTC
Yes, I enjoy "thumbing through" an issue before I buy it, even magazines that I routine buy.
dcampbell
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 4 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2002 - 03:02 AM UTC
Hi,

AFV Modeller is available in the States from a couple of outlets, you can also subscribe through Wiseowl who deal with a lot of the other UK magazines. We have very good reasons for emphasising the subscription method though, chiefly that this is the best way for readers to support the magazine directly and ensure it's continuation. Things may change in the future but we're quite happy with the way it's going so far. As for the cost, well I accept that we are among the more expensive publications but this only reflects the quality of the magazine. Single issues can be ordered directly from us, so you can try the mag before you commit to a subscription. It should also be remembered that a great deal of the subscription price is taken up by shipping costs-each issue is priced at UK£6.00.

Thanks,

Donald Campbell
deputy editor
AFVModeller

http://www.afvmodeller.com
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2002 - 03:13 AM UTC
Donald,
Welcome to the site and thanks for the info. I errr...tried to post a compliment for AFV Modeller last night on the Missing Links site. Maybe you read it before it got deleted.

Great magazine (from what I see on your site anyways). My wife controls the money in this house so until this site becomes a subcription only site I will probably have to just drool and hear about it from everyone else.

Jim
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2002 - 03:20 AM UTC
Donald, I just might have to forgo the buy one issue to look at it and just go for it. I enjoy all the modeling publications and buy several now through my local news stand. If it's anything like the site shows it to be ( and I think it is) than a renewal each year will be in order.
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 1,958 Posts
KitMaker Network: 720 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2002 - 06:58 AM UTC
Hi
I´m an AFV Modeller subscriber and I really apreciate this magazine, it´s real good, sharp photos and excellent paper, all photos are colours and shows tricks details, the models shown are from renowned modellers (the kind is in top list for ML), but worth every cent in my oppinion.
If you think u have to pay a huge price for it in USA, you´ll probably die if you see the price it arrives here in Brazil
But it´s a fine magazine though
 _GOTOTOP