_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Sprue Cutters
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 05:25 PM UTC
I figure just about everybody has tried toenail clippers, but did you know that they make the curved ones just like the fingernail clippers, plus the straight clippers, if you was one of the ones that tried the curved ones and they didn't work well, I couldn't get them to work well either, but then I got out my old set that has it straight across, now these are the best plastic sprue cutters, I've been able to cut so close, that sometimes, one or two scrapes with the x-acto, and you can't even see where it was. Sometimes I got to cut the sprue out away from the piece, so I can work my way in to it. This is way better then trying a knife to get the piece off, cause some pieces are so fragile, the snap from the knife will break the piece, and with the toenail clippers, it never snaps, it might be a pain in the butt to cut all the way around the piece to get to it, but at least you won't have a broken piece. Hopes this helps someone.

Kerry
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 05:40 PM UTC
I'll stick with my mighty Xurons -- Testors sellls them cheap!
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 10:53 PM UTC
I've got both Xuron and some other "no brand" ones I bought at electronics shops. To be honest on plastic I didn't notice any difference between the two...
Ciao
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 11:17 PM UTC
I've found out already, that this is just about like being a mechanic, one tool isn't going to fix everything, once in a while you will run across some sprue that will need something special, but the knife is to risky on a lot of fragile pieces, the part will break, before the knife will cut the sprue, and it makes it real tuff when the part is about 1/10 the size of the sprue.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 11:33 PM UTC
So far and many kits made my noname clippers work very fine !! cheap and nice
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
entire network: 471 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2004 - 01:59 AM UTC
I have about 4 different sets of nail clippers (curved and straight) and find they work great. However I was able to get the squadron sprue nippers for free when making a large order at Military hobbies (HEHE). They have the ground flat blades and are nice for slipping into the tree when you don't have alot of room to get nail clippers in there, but don't really make any cleaner/closer cut than 99 cent nail clippers.
 _GOTOTOP