_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
A.E.F. Designs problems
Paul
Visit this Community
Kharkiv, Ukraine / Україна
entire network: 705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 05:23 AM UTC
Hi, I've ordered a BTR-152 detail set and a BRDM-2 interior set from A.E.F. Designs about a month and a half ago, but it still hasn't come yet. I believe A.E.F. Designs is a cast to order company, but still, should it take that long to make the kits? What are your thoughts on that? What should I do?
Thanks in advance
dbusack
Visit this Community
South Dakota, United States
entire network: 971 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 05:36 AM UTC
I've ordered from other cast to order companies and 1 1/2 to 2 months is not out of the ordinary. Some have ran over 3 months. I've never ordered from AEF, so I don't know what to expect there.

Don
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 1,966 Posts
KitMaker Network: 297 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 06:11 AM UTC
Paul,
Unfortunately this is about par for the course for AEF. I have ordered stuff from him a few times and the average delivery time has been around 2 months. (one took 3) I'd give it another couple of weeks and either call or e-mail to find out when it might arrive. As for the quality it is not an international thing, there are many people in the states that will never order from AEF. I think I'm one of the luckey ones. The items I have ordered have been OK. It's not the best resin I have worked with but it was useable. (as opposed to other stories I have heard)

Mike
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 06:25 AM UTC
AEF has a bad reputation for being SLOW and often the castings are incomplete or poorly made. I used several of their products, but they were purchased in-person Colpar Hobbies in Colorado, where they could be inspected before purchase. I don't think I'd ever buy an AEF product sight-unseen. It's a shame, because they have been around since at least the mid-80s and you'd think they'd have things sorted out by now.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 07:12 AM UTC
I guess that service and quality are both hit or miss. I too have had problems the one time that I have ordered from them. Service was real slow. I did not get the complete order initially, (but did eventually) and the quality is a good reference to scratch build replacements from. I will probably save my AEF conversions for retirement, as I'll have the time to do them then.

I don't know if I will order from them again... they do offer some different conversions/updates etc.
Paul
Visit this Community
Kharkiv, Ukraine / Україна
entire network: 705 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 10:44 AM UTC
Thanx guys, now I at least know when to expect the order
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,434 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 02:09 PM UTC
My own experience with them has been slightly worse than most as I got my Mer IIID conversion through a shop here in Japan. The land of No Returns on model kits. On first inspection, every thing seemed ok. So I spent the $150 USD on the conversion. But when I got it and Tried to mount it to the Merk III hull from academy the peices didn't fit!!!!! So next came a search of the internet and pics that matched were of a Merk IID. To check this I went the closet and grabed my Merk II and sure enough it fit the Merk II lower hull.

To make this worse, I thought it would be a good thing to call the Manufacturer about the problem(I don't speak enough Japanese to make a sensisble arguement about the problem) But after an hour on the phone (international rates apply) argueing with him he finally agree that he mislabled the box and that I could send it back for a replacement kit at no extra charge. Here I thought I was home free..

This was about a year ago. No replacement kit. My Merk III is still a prototype version, My Merk II is still a nice Detailed normal Merk II. As for the Replacment kit It still has to arrive. I think it gone and lost forever, along with the $150 and the Merk IID kit that I sent back to get replaced for the IIID kit.

Since this haas Happend not only has the Japanese shop stop carring and special ordering AEF Designs stuff but they Importer here in Japan has stop working with them all together. I wonder If anyone else does a Merk IIID conversion!!!!! STUG
 _GOTOTOP