_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Military Modeling Pre-World Wars
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2002 - 10:37 AM UTC
Howdy All,

Was just curious, am I the only old- crotchety type here that is interested, and models subject matter from other eras, such as the Zulu Wars, Boer, or Napoleanic Wars?

Tread.

Not to take anything away from the 'Tank' thing...

Would love to hear from you all on this subject.....Arthur...Anders....you guys must indulge in this era....don't you?
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2002 - 11:21 AM UTC
Nope, WW1 armor is about as far back as I go.

BTW Tread, PM me your address, I've got something for you.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2002 - 11:15 PM UTC
I love 19th century history, but other than two boxes of 1/72 Napoleonic soldiers, I haven't done anything with those themes as far as modeling goes.

Nic
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2002 - 12:10 AM UTC
I've looked at the set of Civil War soldiers by several manufacturers... including cannons and cavalry... thought of diorama ideas. Also, have done a few figures, one Russian Warrior 14th Century and a Viking. The Boer war is an interesting subject as well as the Zulu war, but never broken down and purchased a kit. I did built a "Life-Like" Revolutionary War cannon a few years back...

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2002 - 07:39 AM UTC
Thanks for the input guys!

I just love this type of history 'bookwise'. My problem is my inherent lack of skills in the 'figure' department. I can paint an AFV just fine. But when it comes to figures, I suffer the plague of ' I couldn't possibly do it as well as my Father'.
You see, my father used to create these incredible dioramas for extremely wealthy clients in the NYC/ Tri-State area, way back in the late 60's, early 70's. He was paid exceptionally well for his finished efforts. Not to be indulgent, but his work was superb. Kind of a hard act to follow I guess. Always wanted to 'give it a go' though.
Could qoute you 'rank & regiment' , but just haven't spent the time to hone the skills.
Would love to hear of others indulgences in this historical theatre.

Tread.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2002 - 09:06 AM UTC
Can't say I'd be too big on 'no armor' time periods. I was gonna say that I could build the tank from Indy III, but you said pre-World Wars...
I might do some Civil War stuff when I get more experienced. (i.e. in the next 40 years... ) There's a couple of interesting subjects to be made... but, tanks are what got me seriously into this hobby, and tanks are what's gonna keep me in the hobby! :-)

....well, tanks and Star Wars models anyway...
#:-)

YodaMan
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2002 - 10:59 AM UTC
I want to build a diorama or Resaca de La Palma... where the 2nd Dragoons beat the Mexicans... cannons and all. One company makes the entire thing... Mexican troops, dragoons, cannons, the whole thing...

Lots of work... but it would be cool as heck.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2002 - 11:07 AM UTC
Sorry Tread, my interest wains before WWII as far as the modeling part goes. I just like steel. WW1 just seems like proto types to me.
I would...I think...like to build an old cannon though one day.
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,454 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2002 - 06:43 PM UTC
Tread......this crotchety old worn out thing loves all periods of history,cant in all honesty
say i have a favourite period,i just seem to jump from one to the other,i love a good book
sometimes i say to the other half,not eating today sweetheart,i'm reading.A bottle of red
plonk a good cigar,a book on the Wars of the Roses,......heaven!
Arthur
just one more glass dear,i might not wake up in the morning.
#:-)
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,744 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2002 - 03:33 AM UTC
I had planned on making a little Civil War diorama for my brother using IMEX figures. Boy was I disappointed when I opened the box and found that they were soft plastic and not of the best quality. I was interested in trying the Dragon civil war set...just never got around to it. Other than that I'm strictly WWII-Present day. I did buy the Sahara Diorama scene from SK models (formerly Heller) it has the Camel, rider,donkey, Arab, Senegalese, and French troops. Pretty neat little kit. You could probably use that in a between-the-wars diorama.
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2002 - 06:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the input guys!

I just love this type of history 'bookwise'. My problem is my inherent lack of skills in the 'figure' department. I can paint an AFV just fine. But when it comes to figures, I suffer the plague of ' I couldn't possibly do it as well as my Father'.
You see, my father used to create these incredible dioramas for extremely wealthy clients in the NYC/ Tri-State area, way back in the late 60's, early 70's. He was paid exceptionally well for his finished efforts. Not to be indulgent, but his work was superb. Kind of a hard act to follow I guess. Always wanted to 'give it a go' though.
Could qoute you 'rank & regiment' , but just haven't spent the time to hone the skills.
Would love to hear of others indulgences in this historical theatre.

Tread.

( LOL ) - Well, let's get cracking with it Tread ! ( LOL )
Hi Tread - On a more serious response, I'm sure
if your Dad had this talent, that it has also been passed down to you,
but it's just remains hidden....... I bet if you committed your self, and sat down
with a couple of nice " resin figure " set's ( era is your choice ) - you would
find this hidden talent.
As for the topic in general - I love the military history of the Roman Legion's,
Napoleonoic War, American Cival War, Medevil Knights, Highlanders etc.
But I just haven't got around to modeling any ................. YET !
You have to admit, that the militaria colors used by these armies was awesome and outstanding. It would be a nice break from the olive drab's, green's, greys and brown's
from W.W.II & modern 20th century militaria that we are so acustomed to building.
I reckon sooner or later I will get to that other stuff, but my passion for scale
modeling & history, does and will always remain focused on W.W.II

- ralph
 _GOTOTOP