History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
N.G.'s Untold Stories of D-Day
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2002 - 10:03 AM UTC
I just want to pass along a very nicely done collection of histories and pictures and stories of that incredible day in history from National Geographic's web site.

Be sure to check out the "Sights and Sounds" multimedia special! :-)

Untold Stories of D-Day N. G. Magazine
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2002 - 10:47 AM UTC
Many, many Thx for the Link Kenc'! As usual, you have found another 'goodie'.

In return, I would like to point out a superb book to you. If you get a chance, order it. You won't be dissapponted. The name of it is; 'Spearheading D-Day' by Jonathan Gawne. It's a large, hard cover book consisting of 288 beautiful pages of incredible photos. Many of which I have not seen before. Info-packed, and well worth the $36.50 I paid for it!
Check it out Kenc'.

Tread.

P.S. They even have full colour pics of authentic uniforms obviously worn by re-enactors. Good fodder for figure painters.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2002 - 10:35 PM UTC
TH,

The book to which you refer is OUTSTANDING It is the best book I have ever read on "how the invasion worked'". I got a copy a couple years ago when the Military Book Club advertised it. I also highly recommend it if you can find it.
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2002 - 11:32 PM UTC
Barnes and Noble have it on sale,and if you buy 2 or more books you get free shipping and a 5 or 10% discount I think.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2002 - 11:12 AM UTC
Thanks Tread for the book recomendation! I'll try to head on down to B&N's tomorrow.

Thanks too for the chimes on it's quality Ranger...and the heads-up for the location Zach.