TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Hist. Chan. June 28
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2002 - 05:01 PM UTC
All Times Eastern Standard

@ 0900 repeats @ 1500 Sworn to Secrecy
Vietnam: Hidden in Plain Sight

Charlton Heston narrates this look at the Viet Cong's secret methods to foil America's attempt to seal off South Vietnam. From the Ho Chi Minh Trail to the tunnels of Cu Chi, it's an amazing story of hidden supply highways, underground cities, covert camps, and double agents. TV G

@ 1000 repeats @ 1600 Great Blunders in History
The Failure of the Kamikaze

Investigates the Japanese use of manned torpedoes, speedboats packed with explosives, and midget submarines in WWII. Most were poorly designed and badly piloted, failing to achieve any real success and costing many lives. TV G
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2002 - 02:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

All Times Eastern Standard

@ 0900 repeats @ 1500 Sworn to Secrecy
Vietnam: Hidden in Plain Sight

Charlton Heston narrates this look at the Viet Cong's secret methods to foil America's attempt to seal off South Vietnam. From the Ho Chi Minh Trail to the tunnels of Cu Chi, it's an amazing story of hidden supply highways, underground cities, covert camps, and double agents. TV G

@ 1000 repeats @ 1600 Great Blunders in History
The Failure of the Kamikaze

Investigates the Japanese use of manned torpedoes, speedboats packed with explosives, and midget submarines in WWII. Most were poorly designed and badly piloted, failing to achieve any real success and costing many lives. TV G

K--did you hear about a documentary on divers exploring the Normandy beach area? If so, can you provide some details.
thanks
DJ
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2002 - 04:59 AM UTC
DJ, I think the program you are refering to was called "D-Day: Beneath the Waves". Unfortunetly it aired on the Discovery Channel on June 8th. I wish I had known about it...I was in Spain at the time.
I called TDC to inquire about it. No release on video...yet. No listing for it's re-airing up through October.
Anyway it explored the reasons why the DD Shermans failed. Here's a little summary from the show. :
"Beneath the Waves" purports to uncover new information as to why the U.S. Army's floating Sherman tanks sank before reaching Omaha Beach on D-Day.
The "duplex drive" tanks, specially equipped with propellers and inflatable canvas skirts designed to keep them afloat, performed almost flawlessly at other beaches along the Allies' point of attack, but 27 of the 29 headed for Omaha Beach went to the bottom of the English Channel. Their inability to shell German artillery emplacements exposed American infantrymen to an incessant hail of machine-gun fire. The Army's official post-invasion assessment was that the tanks were not seaworthy in the rough conditions experienced at Omaha.
But aha! Underwater archaeologist Brett Phaneuf, after studying several hulks on the ocean floor, has determined that the tanks sank because their pilots steered them into a strong cross-current, which exposed their long sides to the heavy waves and made them easier to swamp.
While this would seem consistent with the Army's conclusion about seaworthiness, "Beneath the Waves" makes it seem as if Phaneuf's "discovery" refutes the previous conclusion. If anything, the documentary supports the Army's finding with new information that suggests the tanks were indeed unseaworthy if operated in certain ways under certain conditions.
Padded with interviews of D-Day survivors and the obligatory "actor re-creations" that fill in when historical footage is lacking, "D-Day: Beneath the Waves" is a jerry-built entry in the annals of anniversary journalism, promising much more than it actually delivers and serving no purpose other than keeping the regular complainers at bay.

I'll keep you posted on this as I hear more.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2002 - 05:11 AM UTC
Here's a couple of sites with more info:

Diveweb

MSNBC