Trouble with decals?
How do I remove a decal?
Part-timer
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 361 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 09:58 AM UTC
One of the insignia decals for the Tamiya P-51D I'm working on has developed little hariline creases/wrinkles in it. It was laid down with MicroSet and MicroSol a couple of days ago. Unfortunately, except for the wrinkles, the decal is really on there well - into the panel lines and everything, and no ridge to slip a scalpel blade under. Worse yet, it's on top of the very fragile MM Metalizer finish. Any ideas on how to get it up without destroying the Metalizer finish?
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 10:13 AM UTC
Hi Part-timer

Well, the theory is that you can very carefully slit the wrinkle and apply some more Micro Sol... that should snuggle it down.

Other than that, if you're really deternined to remove the decal, do the same to soften it and then scub with a stubby brush... with luck, it won't damage the silver finish...

I'd try Plan A first....

Hope this helps

Rowan
Part-timer
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 361 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 10:24 AM UTC
Sadly, I've already tried slitting the decal and applying more MicroSol. Unfortunately, these don't seem to be wrinkles caused by air trapped underneath the decal; instead, the decal wrinkled enough with the application of the MicroCol that it folded enough for the adhesive side of the decal to come into contact with itself. This makes for little tiny hairline ridegs in the decal.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 10:39 AM UTC
Hi again

Hmmm... another trick that sometimes works is to soften the decal and roll out the wrinkle with a toothpick or very stiff brush... BEWARE ... once you've got to this stage, you are right on the edge and could easily damage the decal so much that you need to scrap it and start again.

Fingers crossed

Rowan
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 01:03 PM UTC
One other option is to try to sand out the wrinkles with very fine wet and dry. Use a small piece and gently rub along the wrinkles making sure the wet and dry is only in contact lightly with the decal. I've done this in the past successfully. If it is overdone the decal can be touched up with the appropriate colours.
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 12:46 PM UTC
okay, this might sound a little ghetto, but please bare with me, i used to use window cleaner (ie windex) to take stickers off of wood, metal and it just might work with plastic, so spray a little windex on the decal, and let it sit then wipe off w/ a napkin, it just might work.
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 790 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 01:55 PM UTC
Also Gunnie told me I can "pull" them with scotch tape but it'll come off blotchy
 _GOTOTOP