_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: IPMS
Topics about IPMS (International Plastic Modeler's Society).
IPMS and AMPS?
jackalone72
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 104 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2004 - 12:35 PM UTC
Hey Guys,
What do these mean I knoww most definitly this question has been answered before but just a quick answer.These are clubs right?WHere can I join if they are and are they in Southern California?What kind of meetings do they do and how can I get in contact with them?

Thanx
GunTruck
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2004 - 12:40 PM UTC
Well - there are a few words commonly substituted in these acronyms...

IPMS/USA is the International Plastic Modelers Society - United States Branch. You can find out all about it at IPMS/USA Website

AMPS is the Armor Modeling and Preservation Society. Go to AMPS Website to find out more about them.

Gunnie
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2004 - 12:50 PM UTC
Both are great clubs. I've been a member of four IPMS chapters -- Anchorage, Steve Wittman (Oshkosh, Wisc.), Great Plains (Kansas City) and West Central Missouri -- and they have all led to great friendships and lots of modeling knowledge. I'm also a member of Kansas City AMPS -- lots of great guys there, too, and they all talk TANKS.

BTW, if you happen to stumble into the National AMPS DG, there is a lot of arguing and stuff going on right now -- elections are underway and the National Convention is less than 2 months away -- don't let it scare you away from attending a local chapter meeting. Once all the politcs settle down, they're really a great bunch of modelers.
Splinty2001
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 84 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2004 - 12:31 AM UTC
Does anyone know of a chapter of IPMS or AMPS in the SW Michigan area? I'm very interested in joining, but I don't know of any clubs in my area.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2004 - 12:49 AM UTC
Check out hteir websites at AMPS and IPMS. Both have listing of local chapters.
Wexman
Visit this Community
entire network: 16 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2004 - 01:11 AM UTC
IPMS and AMPS, as you've now seen in the e-mail trail are both clubs for modellers. AMPS is only for armor, IPMS is for all modelling. I'm a member of both and live in Southern California.

Of the two, IPMS has more activity in Southern California right now. There was a stink at AMPS and much of the west coast people left. I'm hoping that'll change since AMPS is a cool organization too.

There are many IPMS chapters in Southern California so the best bet is to go to the national website (www.ipmsusa.org) and find the one nearest you. I'm a member of the Orange County chapter which claims to be the largest in the nation. I also know many in the Ontario chapter.

If you're wondering about joining, come to the Orangecon show and contest on October 17. The info can be found at www.ipmsoc.org. That'll give you a great idea as to what IPMS is all about.

Wex
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2004 - 10:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

IPMS and AMPS, as you've now seen in the e-mail trail are both clubs for modellers. AMPS is only for armor, IPMS is for all modelling. I'm a member of both and live in Southern California.

Of the two, IPMS has more activity in Southern California right now. There was a stink at AMPS and much of the west coast people left. I'm hoping that'll change since AMPS is a cool organization too.

There are many IPMS chapters in Southern California so the best bet is to go to the national website (www.ipmsusa.org) and find the one nearest you. I'm a member of the Orange County chapter which claims to be the largest in the nation. I also know many in the Ontario chapter.

If you're wondering about joining, come to the Orangecon show and contest on October 17. The info can be found at www.ipmsoc.org. That'll give you a great idea as to what IPMS is all about.

Wex

Wex - the "stink" in AMPS has passed. The West Coast is also poised to come back together again with renewed interest and participation. I am a part of the new board (just got appointed) and have high hopes for continued progress and growth here and Nationally. I look forward to meeting you and the rest of the guys in Los Angeles in the near future.

Jim Lewis
AMPS 2nd Vice President - Western Region
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2004 - 10:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jim Lewis

Congrats on the appointment, Jim! :-)
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 02:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Jim Lewis

Congrats on the appointment, Jim! :-)

Heh heh - I wuz made an offer I couldn't refuse...

Now - if they'd quite beating the 1/2/3 vs G/S/B issue over at IPMS/USA - the world would be a happier place...

Gunnie
Wexman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 02:29 AM UTC
Jim,

That is great news. I'd really love to see AMPS build up in the west. I was stunned by the amount and quality of armor in the last few model contests I've been to.

The IPMS Nationals in Phoenix was a virtual overload of armor as was the Tamiyacon.

Let me know how I can keep in contact.

Wex
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 04:05 AM UTC
Wex - I had a blast in Phoenix - wish I knew who you were, would have said HI! I missed Tamiya Con this year, I tend to attend on the odd calendar years it seems...

Right now - please e-mail me directly. Hit my banner link below this message, contact information is on my website. I'm new to the AMPS executive board and learning the communication channels. Right now, we're linked through e-mails efficiently. You mentioned Orange Con coming up on 10/17?

Gunnie
Wexman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 05:21 AM UTC
Jim,

I sent you a private e-mail.

Wex
 _GOTOTOP