Trouble with decals?
There is future for those with no "FUTURE"
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2004 - 08:39 PM UTC
So , many times from this column... eeehhh forum i mean..., a thread about Johnsons FUTURE has been posted and its magical effects on decals.
So here in Greece and as in many other European and not only countries , Future or similiar products that arew used in US or elsewhere. So i did a market research and find 3 products that i believed that they will do the job. So i bought them all
One is called OVERLAY 3.57$ -- 500 ml
Glou Coat 4.10$ -- 1000 ml
Long shine 4,50 -- 2,47 $ ml

I run test through all of them. so i painted plasticards wih the same colours red gloss and khaki drill and brushed 2 coats of every product on them then applied 4 different decals (from same sets , some of them over 15 years old) leave to dry and brushed 2 more coats of the products.
The result was magical. None of them affected the colour more than make it shine. The decal films almost dissappeared, unless one set of very old F-$ decals from Monogram that hed tottaly yellowed film that was reduced but still showed up. The best results i had with Johnson's Long Shine which is a lil thicker than the other two. so next test will run with a lil water thinning it. All 3 of them sealed the decals perfectly and keep a nice smooth surface after gettin dry
But at least now i have a secure option for decals, thiugh i dont have FUTURE here in Greece. So i thought i shared with u , and especially the Guys that dont find the Future product in their local markets ..
Costas
APbullet
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
entire network: 236 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2004 - 10:15 PM UTC
Thanx for sharing that, got to try it myself.
druid
Visit this Community
Finland
entire network: 211 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2004 - 10:38 PM UTC
After investigating the matter a bit I've come to the conclusion that pretty much any clear plastic floor wax should do. I've used Johnson's generic shiny floorwax for plastic for my canopies. Soon to try it with decals.
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2004 - 10:40 PM UTC
Well done Major Goose,
a very big help to those who are future-less.
The Johnson's Long Shine is probably the same as Future or very similar.
Same Company.
Cheers oh great researcher...
Peter
:-)
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2004 - 10:44 PM UTC
PS....If the Future alternatives had not worked, you would have had nice shiney floors at your house...lol
Cheers and thanks again for a polished performance.
Peter
:-)
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 12:30 AM UTC
so far nice polished models my friend !!!! i dont know maybe i ll use it as a general purpose gloss coat instead it has nice smell also
 _GOTOTOP