_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
When you need a break from modelling...
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,295 Posts
KitMaker Network: 93 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2017 - 09:10 AM UTC
We're all more or less the same... we all need a break from the daily grinds.

Whether it's modelling as a relief from the grind of work, or school, or everyday stresses of everyday life. Or maybe it's sports, or perhaps exercise that you use for this relief. But what do you do when your stress relieving hobbies and activities are stressing you out too?

I enjoy playing guitar, although my stubby fingers can't quite stretch enough to play a C or F chord. I also play the drums, which show up in the background of some of my model pictures.

And I also repaint my goalie mask. I've taken up playing goal rather late in life, I was 52 when I finally got my first set of pads, glove, blocker and my own used mask.

This mask.

That's what it looked like before I painted it last year. This is what it looked like then...

I liked it quite a bit, but I basically cheated a bit by using the existing design, using mostly transparent paints, all my model paints as a matter of fact, and added my own tastes and flair.

But a season of taking pot shots of the beak, and flopping around like a beached whale has taken its toll on that first rendition.

So a coat of grey primer, and some planning of the next scheme, left me with a blank canvas that over the course of several days a couple weeks ago became this...

I printed a couple of decals of the Canadiens logo, in two sizes, and also made some stencils which I used in the painting process. Several coats of high gloss lacquer over it all, and voila!

Curious as to what others do when you need a break, from the break from pressures of life?

justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,033 Posts
KitMaker Network: 361 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2017 - 11:29 AM UTC
Hi Dave, Nice lid!

I’ve got a collection of ice climbing, snowboarding, mountain biking, and dirt biking brain buckets — sold my street bike helmet.

“Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse!” Or I should say … Live fast, go big, land hard, and wind up sitting around building models! 🤕

Cheers!🍺
—mike
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2017 - 11:30 AM UTC
Dave,
Great topic and a great job on your goalie mask! I spend a lot of time at the workbench building models, but I also make time to do service work for my church, and spend most of my summers in the yard working outdoors. It's also interesting how my hobby of model building has "morphed" into helping others-- I do lots of repair work on everything from ceramic ware to jewelry, even some electronics work occasionally. I've become quite good at modifying or repairing my wife's Jewelry to suit her needs, and word has gotten around that if it's broken, I'll fix it. I've even acquired the moniker of "Mr. Fix-it". So, modeling can translate into other skills. I'm never bored, that's for sure!
VR, Russ
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
entire network: 1,280 Posts
KitMaker Network: 213 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2017 - 03:39 PM UTC
These days I actually use modelling as a break from / bad weather alternative for my main hobby - fotography. There are some limits to how much rain/snow/cold a DSLR (and it's carriage/operating module aka ME) can take before it stops working (The C/O module likely less than the camera(1)) so that is when I get building.

(1) After all camera and lenses are weather sealed
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2017 - 05:38 PM UTC
Nice work,you could probably make a pretty penny customizing goalie masks for others.I've seen specials about the artists who paint masks for even NHL goalies
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,023 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2017 - 06:49 PM UTC
Also, the motorcycle guys like unique helmets !
I retired about a year ago and thought that I'd get a chance to spend lots of time at the "bench". Well, that didn't happen.
Sure, I do get a couple of more hours a week building but I volunteer a lot for the local college radio station, WMSE 91.7, (WMSE.org on the internet). Also, I've raised my level of cooking from just feeding myself to hosting dinner parties. I live in a condo complex and once a month we have a traveling dinner party. One person will have a cocktail & appetizer course. Then we go over to the next host's place for dinner then somebody else's place for desert. It's a lot of work cleaning & cooking but worth it !
When warmer weather comes I go camping. Sundays to Thursdays you have the parks to yourself AND, Wisconsin has some REALLY nice campgrounds !
Then there are the road trips... When the girlfriend gets her vacations we hit the highway. Mt. Rushmore & Custer National Parks. Then it was off to New Orleans for VooDoo Fest taking Highway 61 or the Blues Hwy. visiting lots of historical sites. Eating our way there & back !
OOOPPPSSsss... I've been a bit chatty on this subject. But in answer to the question, I haven't needed a break from modeling, YET. Maybe if we would of had an old fashion Winter with 3 ft. of snow and Zero degree temps to keep me indoors.
Have a good weekend everybody !

Tom
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2017 - 09:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Dave, Nice lid!

I’ve got a collection of ice climbing, snowboarding, mountain biking, and dirt biking brain buckets — sold my street bike helmet.

“Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse!” Or I should say … Live fast, go big, land hard, and wind up sitting around building models! 🤕

Cheers!🍺
—mike

Mike! Thanks man.

I have a few buckets myself, a couple hockey helmets, a snowboard helmet, and my favourite which I used as a general bump cap at some of the golf courses I've worked at; a non DOT small rimmed fibreglass stahlhelm...

What do you do when you need to decompress from your decompression activities?

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2017 - 10:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dave,
Great topic and a great job on your goalie mask! I spend a lot of time at the workbench building models, but I also make time to do service work for my church, and spend most of my summers in the yard working outdoors. It's also interesting how my hobby of model building has "morphed" into helping others-- I do lots of repair work on everything from ceramic ware to jewelry, even some electronics work occasionally. I've become quite good at modifying or repairing my wife's Jewelry to suit her needs, and word has gotten around that if it's broken, I'll fix it. I've even acquired the moniker of "Mr. Fix-it". So, modeling can translate into other skills. I'm never bored, that's for sure!
VR, Russ

Russ, thanks for the praise for my mask. I pound the kit at church, for any of the worship teams when their regular drummers need time off. I used to play more, but have been unable to commit due to my workload at the course as I've finally climbed the corporate ladder in my field of endeavour.

I've kinda found the opposite has happened with me, my being a handy kinda guy in the real world, picking up on many aspects of several trades, has helped me become a more creative modeller.

Boredom is for the weak; of mind, spirit, and imagination. Hey, that's not a bad quote....if I do say so myself

Thanks for the response, and have a good weekend!

Dave
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2017 - 10:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

These days I actually use modelling as a break from / bad weather alternative for my main hobby - fotography. There are some limits to how much rain/snow/cold a DSLR (and it's carriage/operating module aka ME) can take before it stops working (The C/O module likely less than the camera(1)) so that is when I get building.

MBR, my DSLR's C/O doesn't work well in the elements either!

This is a hobby I would like to invest more time in, but I've found that my wife has a pretty good eye for composition, and gets the shot she wants with far fewer clicks of the shutter button...

Me, I'm definitely not the old school, I've only got 24 exposure's on my last roll of film, kind of shooter. I'm more the Apocalypse Now guy, shoot everything and sort it all out later....

I probably have 2000 pics of the Kapalua Plantation course I played in 2008, on our trip to the Island's. every single one of them is a masterful image, in my head!

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2017 - 10:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice work,you could probably make a pretty penny customizing goalie masks for others.I've seen specials about the artists who paint masks for even NHL goalies

Thanks Anthony.

I have occasionally thought about trying to make some extra moolah doing custom masks, or building one off furniture pieces, as that's another passion... although now, what time I have left after paying bills is divied up between house maintenance, some sports, sleep, and family... our 6 year old girl is growing up fast! Way too fast!

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2017 - 10:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Also, the motorcycle guys like unique helmets !
I retired about a year ago and thought that I'd get a chance to spend lots of time at the "bench". Well, that didn't happen.
Sure, I do get a couple of more hours a week building but I volunteer a lot for the local college radio station, WMSE 91.7, (WMSE.org on the internet). Also, I've raised my level of cooking from just feeding myself to hosting dinner parties. I live in a condo complex and once a month we have a traveling dinner party. One person will have a cocktail & appetizer course. Then we go over to the next host's place for dinner then somebody else's place for desert. It's a lot of work cleaning & cooking but worth it !
When warmer weather comes I go camping. Sundays to Thursdays you have the parks to yourself AND, Wisconsin has some REALLY nice campgrounds !
Then there are the road trips... When the girlfriend gets her vacations we hit the highway. Mt. Rushmore & Custer National Parks. Then it was off to New Orleans for VooDoo Fest taking Highway 61 or the Blues Hwy. visiting lots of historical sites. Eating our way there & back !
OOOPPPSSsss... I've been a bit chatty on this subject. But in answer to the question, I haven't needed a break from modeling, YET. Maybe if we would of had an old fashion Winter with 3 ft. of snow and Zero degree temps to keep me indoors.
Have a good weekend everybody !

Tom

Tom, we called those progressive dinners! We used to do them for our youth group when I was a volunteer leader. What a hoot! And a good way to meet the parents of the kids...

My Dad was a DJ at the base in Whitehorse in the last 50's and early 60's, when he was stationed up here for courses he took in winter warfare and such. One of my brother's still has cases of old 45's and 78's from back then.

Cool!
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 01:34 AM UTC
Dave,

I just realized … I must've come across sounding like a US Presidential Nominee skirting the question during a CNN interview!

Guess I’ll have to come clean now. … I’ve actually gotten back into doing a little photography. I went and got me one o’ them thar fancy digital SLR cameras a few years back — no more film processing! 🚫 🎞 Thank God, those days are over!

I sometimes tag along with my long-time action sports buddy and his compadres in Moab and whenever I can "easily" hike to an exit-point, I fire-off the Canon while they B.A.S.E. jump. I recall, back in 1980, B.A.S.E. was legalized for a short time in Yosemite during my ascent of the 3000 ft. ‘North Face Route’ on El Capitan. It was such a kick watching thirty-or-so jumpers open their canopies below us while we wolfed-down a quick breakfast! I thought: “Man, I really wanna’ do that!” I always tell my buddy … Dude, if my health was better, I’d give myself a 3-count, and go on 1! … Easy to say from the comfort of my couch!😴💤 ... Well, shoot, I’m old and allowed to talk all the smack I want! Lol!

Also, when the weather warms up around here, I sometimes drive out to one of my favorite local stomping-grounds, Rifle Mountain Park. Along with observing climbers and firing-off pics, one of my favorite pastimes is to “spray” climbing jargon — giggling to myself as the younger climbers drop their jaws in disbelief! … “Who was that guy?” 😲… “Dunno’ — might be some kinda’ OG?” 🤔 … I sling my Canon and limp away... 🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶 🎶🎶🎶

Cheers!🍺
—mike
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 1,138 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 02:35 AM UTC
I usually read, write, or clean/shoot my guns. If it's dry out I will go skateboarding. Or I might go through my collectables, or organize my models and supplies.
SpaceXhydro
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 418 Posts
KitMaker Network: 58 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 04:24 AM UTC
With me, i like to play video games, especially when feel really tired from a long busy day. i mainly play on my Xbox but i also play on the my PC and mobile phone. i play games like call of duty and battlefield mainly because i love war games. that's why i like building models of modern military vehicles that i encounter or use in my games. At times it can still get competitive and stressful when i play online, so sometimes i need to take a break from that too.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 05:58 AM UTC
Correction ... The 'Nose Route' on El Cap not the 'North Face Route!' Yeeeash!... too much coffee! ☕️

—mike
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 01:48 PM UTC
I create webcomics. Writing is a great work out for the whole brain and let's the imagination stretch out. Digital art and photography sometimes crosses over into my model building skills and vice versa.

In the past dozen years I've completed five full comics and over a thousand pages of content. At times it's the model building that is the break from creating the comics.
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 08:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I usually read, write, or clean/shoot my guns. If it's dry out I will go skateboarding. Or I might go through my collectables, or organize my models and supplies.

That's a diverse grouping of activities Julian, books and guns... often seen as polar opposites in the spectrum of natural pairs of choice. I'm not making any judgement, but just an observation. And skateboarding to boot....you sir, are perhaps a modern day renascence man!

I did an Ollie once, thought I was a big deal

Thanks for weighing in...

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 08:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I create webcomics. Writing is a great work out for the whole brain and let's the imagination stretch out. Digital art and photography sometimes crosses over into my model building skills and vice versa.

In the past dozen years I've completed five full comics and over a thousand pages of content. At times it's the model building that is the break from creating the comics.

Cool. Those sound more like graphic novels than comics... or is it 1000 pages including the five full comics? That's still an awful lot of work, either way!

A diorama based on your comics would be awesome I bet!

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 09:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

That's a diverse grouping of activities Julian, books and guns... often seen as polar opposites in the spectrum of natural pairs of choice. I'm not making any judgement, but just an observation. And skateboarding to boot....you sir, are perhaps a modern day renascence man!

Renaissance.... man, renaissance man.
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 2,888 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 03:10 AM UTC
I thought modeling is what we do when we need a break from everything else...

Anyway, with 12 active campaigns in the queue I could probably use a break from modeling...Hiking, skiing...too bad there isn't any in Eastern Virginia....guess I'll go back to the modeling bench...

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 06:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I thought modeling is what we do when we need a break from everything else...

Anyway, with 12 active campaigns in the queue I could probably use a break from modeling...Hiking, skiing...too bad there isn't any in Eastern Virginia....guess I'll go back to the modeling bench...

It is indeed Mark. I had been in another bit of a modeling funk a couple weeks ago, probably due to the job hunt stresses, and didn't want to even look at the build. Even though my progress as pretty good, I just was struggling with moving forward.

That was when I decided to redo my mask, and since then I had wondered what others did when the build was a grind... and not relieving the stress, but perhaps adding to it?

On the plus side I've had a bit more bench time this weekend, and things are once again starting to fall into place.

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 06:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

With me, i like to play video games, especially when feel really tired from a long busy day. i mainly play on my Xbox but i also play on the my PC and mobile phone. i play games like call of duty and battlefield mainly because i love war games. that's why i like building models of modern military vehicles that i encounter or use in my games. At times it can still get competitive and stressful when i play online, so sometimes i need to take a break from that too.

Hyder, I used to play a little rainbow 6, and loved the old school Wolfenstien! Both PC games. And of course, Roller Coaster Tycoon, which was huge fun, except when the coaster caused too many people to vomit because it was just a bit too scary to ride

Sounds like we all sometimes put too much stress on ourselves. I'm glad that for the most part though, we all get back to the bench... cause, we all love to build, paint and create!

mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
entire network: 1,280 Posts
KitMaker Network: 213 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 05:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

MBR, my DSLR's C/O doesn't work well in the elements either!

This is a hobby I would like to invest more time in, but I've found that my wife has a pretty good eye for composition, and gets the shot she wants with far fewer clicks of the shutter button...

Me, I'm definitely not the old school, I've only got 24 exposure's on my last roll of film, kind of shooter. I'm more the Apocalypse Now guy, shoot everything and sort it all out later....

I probably have 2000 pics of the Kapalua Plantation course I played in 2008, on our trip to the Island's. every single one of them is a masterful image, in my head!

Same here. I am working hard to get the "one shot - one motive" thing into my head. But just to be save I also got myself a Canon body that does 7 pics/sec for 25 RAWs Helps a lot when taking pictures of tjosting knights.

And when taking pictures of scale models the "shoot-view-correct-reshoot" option of a DSLx is really nice (as is a quick live view)

Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 1,138 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 12:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

LOL! Nice job on those helmets!

Well they are pretty solitary pastimes I guess. I only shoot outside - I abhor the "coolest guy in the grade eight cafeteria" mentality that gun ranges have. I have a very large library of books - and like my stash will probably need another lifetime to get to! - I also do some photography and the odd music video. I work in the film biz so 5 or 6 days at 12hrs a day minimum doesn't leave too much time leftover for such things!!
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 02:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

LOL! Nice job on those helmets!

Well they are pretty solitary pastimes I guess. I only shoot outside - I abhor the "coolest guy in the grade eight cafeteria" mentality that gun ranges have. I have a very large library of books - and like my stash will probably need another lifetime to get to! - I also do some photography and the odd music video. I work in the film biz so 5 or 6 days at 12hrs a day minimum doesn't leave too much time leftover for such things!!

I live a few minutes from the "world famous" West Edmonton Mall, which has an indoor shooting range. Some of my friends have gone, but I'm kinda the same way Julien. I prefer the outdoor ranges, haven't been to one in years. My service days we had the old FN, and the Sterling sub machine gun, pretty much museum pieces now.

I help to finance the film biz....but not as often as I used too

And books used to be a big part of who I am, but not so much anymore. Too many other things vieing for my time...

_GOTOTOP