_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
When you need a break from modelling...
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,295 Posts
KitMaker Network: 93 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 02:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

These days I actually use modelling as a break from / bad weather alternative for my main hobby - fotography. There are some limits to how much rain/snow/cold a DSLR (and it's carriage/operating module aka ME) can take before it stops working (The C/O module likely less than the camera(1)) so that is when I get building.

(1) After all camera and lenses are weather sealed

MBR, my DSLR's C/O doesn't work well in the elements either!

This is a hobby I would like to invest more time in, but I've found that my wife has a pretty good eye for composition, and gets the shot she wants with far fewer clicks of the shutter button...

Me, I'm definitely not the old school, I've only got 24 exposure's on my last roll of film, kind of shooter. I'm more the Apocalypse Now guy, shoot everything and sort it all out later....

I probably have 2000 pics of the Kapalua Plantation course I played in 2008, on our trip to the Island's. every single one of them is a masterful image, in my head!

Same here. I am working hard to get the "one shot - one motive" thing into my head. But just to be save I also got myself a Canon body that does 7 pics/sec for 25 RAWs Helps a lot when taking pictures of tjosting knights.

And when taking pictures of scale models the "shoot-view-correct-reshoot" option of a DSLx is really nice (as is a quick live view)

Do you spend a lot of time photographing Knights jousting?
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,023 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 04:00 AM UTC
Looking at my stack of unfinished kits means that I don't need a break from modeling. It's that I've taken a break from trimming & cleaning indy links. I like the look of indy links but I don't like the labor that goes into them.
Just me....
It does look like quite a few diversions from our hobby though.
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 07:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking at my stack of unfinished kits means that I don't need a break from modeling. It's that I've taken a break from trimming & cleaning indy links. I like the look of indy links but I don't like the labor that goes into them.
Just me....
It does look like quite a few diversions from our hobby though.

Indy links!!! Cheaper than Fruils, but at the cost of an even more valuable resource for sure... time. Still, money has never grown on a tree in any of my back yards, so...?

My favourite professor at Bible College used to always say: division is demonic, but diversity is Devine.

I think a well rounded portfolio of abilities only makes a person better in the long run.

mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
entire network: 1,280 Posts
KitMaker Network: 213 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 - 12:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

These days I actually use modelling as a break from / bad weather alternative for my main hobby - fotography. There are some limits to how much rain/snow/cold a DSLR (and it's carriage/operating module aka ME) can take before it stops working (The C/O module likely less than the camera(1)) so that is when I get building.

This is a hobby I would like to invest more time in, but I've found that my wife has a pretty good eye for composition, and gets the shot she wants with far fewer clicks of the shutter button...

Me, I'm definitely not the old school, I've only got 24 exposure's on my last roll of film, kind of shooter. I'm more the Apocalypse Now guy, shoot everything and sort it all out later....

I probably have 2000 pics of the Kapalua Plantation course I played in 2008, on our trip to the Island's. every single one of them is a masterful image, in my head!

Same here. I am working hard to get the "one shot - one motive" thing into my head. But just to be save I also got myself a Canon body that does 7 pics/sec for 25 RAWs Helps a lot when taking pictures of tjosting knights.

And when taking pictures of scale models the "shoot-view-correct-reshoot" option of a DSLx is really nice (as is a quick live view)

Actually I do. I live within 250km from some big medival fairs starting with the smallish "Flachsmarkt" in Krefeld all the way up to Freienfels. Between the "Ruhrgebiet" and the "Rhine Valley" I am within three hours drive from a sizeable number of those markets. Having some re-enactors among my friends adds to this (And makes some approaches easier).

Add in LARPS and "P&P Roleplaying conventions with LARP component" like the "NordCon" amd RPC and you get (slower but still moving) targets there as well.

Besides with Canon it is either "go slllllooooooow" or "7+ frames/second" anyway

Flachsmarkt 2016

Getting these is easier as well
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 - 03:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Actually I do. I live within 250km from some big medival fairs starting with the smallish "Flachsmarkt" in Krefeld all the way up to Freienfels. Between the "Ruhrgebiet" and the "Rhine Valley" I am within three hours drive from a sizeable number of those markets. Having some re-enactors among my friends adds to this (And makes some approaches easier).

Add in LARPS and "P&P Roleplaying conventions with LARP component" like the "NordCon" amd RPC and you get (slower but still moving) targets there as well.

Besides with Canon it is either "go slllllooooooow" or "7+ frames/second" anyway

Flachsmarkt 2016

Getting these is easier as well

Those are very cool MBR! No jousting tournaments around my neck of the woods...not on a regular basis anyways.

JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 - 04:52 AM UTC
Neat!

Those helmets are art in and of themselves.
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 - 07:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Neat!

Those helmets are art in and of themselves.

Thanks Frederick. I just bought another mask today. White. Going to try painting another one up, and put a portfolio together to post around the local hockey rinks...see if I can make some coin to buy more models with! Or maybe make a mortgage payment...
 _GOTOTOP