History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Arafat
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2002 - 02:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

unemployed at the moment. if the oppurtunity presented itself.................................

I guess the resume has "Have Gun Will Travel" across the top
DJ
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2002 - 08:06 AM UTC

My main worry about the guy is : does he wear that kitchen towel to bed or does he have a seperate one that matches the colors of his nightie ?
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2002 - 02:34 PM UTC
maybe a round from a Merkava would be better, plausible deniability factor increases.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2002 - 03:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

maybe a round from a Merkava would be better, plausible deniability factor increases.

Watch what happens after the 4th. I think we will start some fireworks over there.
DJ
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2002 - 10:12 AM UTC
THEN- extreme retaliation, maybe extermination. sorry, PC and diplomacy have never been my strong suit. I do hate war, but revenge is a different matter. Revenge in Muslim culture is better when it massive, they understand nothing else.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2002 - 10:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

THEN- extreme retaliation, maybe extermination. sorry, PC and diplomacy have never been my strong suit. I do hate war, but revenge is a different matter. Revenge in Muslim culture is better when it massive, they understand nothing else.

Pak--I appreciate the emotional appeal of vengence. However, when we strike back, we have to ensure we hit the head and not the tail. What I know of Moslem culture is derived from the newspapers. This is a poor source from which to gain knowledge. I do not believe that people who profess that faith are necessarily evil. We have folks in the neighborhood who practice this faith and they sure look "normal" to me. So, I am reluctant to intermingle criminal elements and people exercising a belief. We need to nail the criminals and do it so convincingly that the survivors make noise not war.
DJ
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 05:06 AM UTC
My knowledge of Islam is also rather limited but it comes from people I've grown up with.
It's precepts are very close to those from the other religions that are better known to westerners...
Yes, there are some dark spots in the Kuran, but there are many very bright ones... just as in any religious text.
I think that the worst plagues of this region are : illiteracy, fanatism, no history of democracy...
When you know nothing about history or about the world outside, and you've always been taught that a certain guy is wise, and that you should believe him... what do you do ?
Well, usualy you believe him, and with all your heart... and if you don't, socal pressure makes sure that you do follow him. The problem is that if this guy is not so wise and is in true looking for power only... What will he do ? He'll find an enemy for his people to fight. That way, his people usualy bond together even stronger behind him... Who wouldn't want to be a war leader adulated by his people ? Such people only use religion (whatever religion) to manipulate their people.
Do you think that is common to muslims ? I'd say that it's common to humans... It's sad but we've seen all over the world...
oraora
Visit this Community
Kuching, Malaysia
entire network: 216 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 11:07 AM UTC
Well, Since i live a country considered as an "islamic" country, i'll give my view on islam. Islam ppl are either naturally or forcibly to be loyal to their religion. In my country, if u're an Islam, and u
denouce ur beliefs and convert to another religion, ur family will disown u. That's bad! All muslims here especially naturally born do have special privileges like much better chances for
entering local Univercities, much better chances at joining and promotion in civil srvices and more chances at promotion in the armed forces. There are currently as far as i know, no General
who is non-muslim in our armed forces. Islam ppl tends to side their side even if they are on the wrong side, guess maybe that's their teaching. And IF i'm to marry a muslim lady, I have to
convert to a muslim whether i like it or not. We couldn't say much as they make up the majority of the population in my country. Don get me wrong, i don hate them and i don hate my country ,
in fact I do have a number of good friends who are muslims and I do love my country, only sometimes i hope we to have a better stance, after all we non-muslims are still malaysian.
I hope i don offend anyone with this post. If i do, i apologize..

oraora
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 - 12:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, Since i live a country considered as an "islamic" country, i'll give my view on islam. Islam ppl are either naturally or forcibly to be loyal to their religion. In my country, if u're an Islam, and u
denouce ur beliefs and convert to another religion, ur family will disown u. That's bad! All muslims here especially naturally born do have special privileges like much better chances for
entering local Univercities, much better chances at joining and promotion in civil srvices and more chances at promotion in the armed forces. There are currently as far as i know, no General
who is non-muslim in our armed forces. Islam ppl tends to side their side even if they are on the wrong side, guess maybe that's their teaching. And IF i'm to marry a muslim lady, I have to
convert to a muslim whether i like it or not. We couldn't say much as they make up the majority of the population in my country. Don get me wrong, i don hate them and i don hate my country ,
in fact I do have a number of good friends who are muslims and I do love my country, only sometimes i hope we to have a better stance, after all we non-muslims are still malaysian.
I hope i don offend anyone with this post. If i do, i apologize..

Once again, the Moslem faith seems to cast a wide net. The criminal who uses it as a shield appears to attract a supportive audience. Limiting the populace of a given area to a steady stream of diatribes is counter productive. However, it is far easier to control a large population by feeding them a line based on ignorance then trying to educate them to differing view points. It is a wierd world we live in...
DJ

oraora

drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2002 - 02:30 PM UTC
I am sorry I missed this thread but would like to chime in. I think he needs to go. Maybe things will get better, maybe worse, but something has to happen. Right now people are just dying all the time and there is no progress to show for it. If things get worse I would be sorry but if it moves toward a solution it may be better in the long run. Isreal has tried both moderates and hard liners against the Palistinians and has been unable to appease them, even when offering them more than they have asked for. It's time for some new blood on the Palistinian side IMHO
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 07:57 AM UTC
and still there is the SVD option.......................................
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 09:01 PM UTC
Well, according to today's paper and last night's news the Israelis' just nailed their number one fugitive. They also killed a number of innocent people. The vengence factor is the basis for the trouble. Can this circle of violence be broken?
DJ
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 760 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 09:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, according to today's paper and last night's news the Israelis' just nailed their number one fugitive. They also killed a number of innocent people.

Well who have been the vast majority of that joker's victims. They were innocent civilians. The difference between the Israelis and the Palestinians is that when Palestinian civilians are killed they are collateral damage, but when Israeli civilians are killed they are the intended target.

Have you ever noticed that when the US media talks about the situation over there the always use the word "innocent" when talking about Palestinian civilian casualities, but when talking about Israeli civilian casualties (such as the teenagers who were blown up at a dance club, the teenagers who were blown up at a pool hall, the elderly folks blown up in a hotel dining room, and the numerous folks blown up while shopping at various markets) that they are just refered to as "Israelis" and not "innocent Israeli civilians". Why is this? Are they any less innocent than Palestian's?
Awall
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 63 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 10:47 PM UTC
As a side point to all of these postings. After the Hamas killer, I mean, leader was killed by Israeli rockets, the Palestinian people mourned for all 15 of the victims. While I am sad at the news of the children who have died, I think that the Palestinians should mourn 14 deaths, not 15. The fact that they mourn the Hamas leader is sign that Palestinians in general support the terrorism against Israel, if not militarily, but socially and in morale.
This is not to say that Israel couldn't have found another way to take care of this leader of Hamas. For I agree with most that it was a bit extreme. I am totally with Israel. I will always be on their side. I just think that there could have been an better way to take this guy out with out as many civilian casualties. Civilian casualties will always occur in war, but to keep them to a minimum should be the aim of all countries who are fighting terrorism.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 08:56 PM UTC
Ater reading the last two postings, I must ask if you believe there was an alternative method the Israelis could have employed to get the Hamas leader? They were after this guy for a long time. I'd also comment from a strictly professional point of view that was some incredible shot from an F-16. To hit a building with that degree of precision speaks highly of the intelligence support, ordnance use, and pilot skill. Tragic loss of life, I agree, but I can say without hesitation, to perform this act speaks well of your professional skill and abilities.
DJ
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 760 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 08:59 PM UTC
In my opinion, you get get him any way you can. They obviously had been trying to get this guy for a while and my guess is had they tried to do it with ground forces, this guy would hae been alerted and would have been moved to safety before he was captured.
Awall
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 11:29 PM UTC
Ok, obviously I am not a military man, yet. I wish to be.. perhaps someday I will join and serve. So, my knowledge of practical applications of strategy are not honed. This is my question. With all the military operations the Israelis have been performing against the Palestinians, would it have been possible to send in a team to the building in question had they known the Hamas leader was there?
I agree, the Israelis got him. I am happy for them. I realize the danger of sending in there own troops to take out this guy could result in casualties of there own. But, here's the kicker to get your brains moving, would that have been better than civilian casualties?
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 07:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok, obviously I am not a military man, yet. I wish to be.. perhaps someday I will join and serve. So, my knowledge of practical applications of strategy are not honed. This is my question. With all the military operations the Israelis have been performing against the Palestinians, would it have been possible to send in a team to the building in question had they known the Hamas leader was there?
I agree, the Israelis got him. I am happy for them. I realize the danger of sending in there own troops to take out this guy could result in casualties of there own. But, here's the kicker to get your brains moving, would that have been better than civilian casualties?

My thoughts exactly a Commando team which the Israelis have some of the best in the world. Could have captured him and use him for leverage. But I still don't berate them for Killing him!! As for Arafat he should go the way of Nikita Chruchov.
Awall
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 10:56 PM UTC
With all that said, I am still all for the Israeli's right to defend themselves. What would the creation of a Palestinian state do? Give it legitimacy, so when attacks are carried out against Israel they know exactly where there enemies are and WHO they are? Or what is the reasoning behind it... I see no purpose. And, isn't the Palestinians true homeland occupied buy Jordan?
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 10:58 PM UTC
Well I' m ready to go fly over there and Send as couple of my Missiles in the right direction. Anyone want to join me He-He-He

DAGGER-1
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
entire network: 793 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2002 - 04:45 PM UTC
Shoot here: Public enemy Number One:!!!

Jack the Quack You can print this image for use on your darts board!
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2002 - 08:51 PM UTC
I will assume the Israeli thought was "Why send ten men on an extremely risky operation when one precision guided bomb can do it all?"
DJ
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
entire network: 793 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2002 - 09:59 PM UTC
DJ I believe that is indeeed the crux of the situation. War is a messsy business at the best of times; While other sheleter under the cover of red crossed ans crescents, some choose easier symbols such as their own kindred, and children. Life hasn't the same value in the eyes of a terrorist as it does in the "civilized world" and such "foodder" is ciµonsidered as good political ammunition. It wasn't really trh Israelis who killed those children, but those who led them to the slaughterhouse. Luckily the perp went with the lamb. Islam is good, extremism is not, simple fact. This may not be popular, but the truth seldom is.

Hey as an aside I've considered producing Arafart in soft rubber as an anti aggression item. Any buyers?? I suppose I'll have to produce Sharon too if I don't want to be labled racist though.

Jack be philisophical
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2002 - 12:07 AM UTC
Still, Arafat is a Moslem and Moslems have no honor, just a respect for power. And I do not trust any of them.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 01:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Still, Arafat is a Moslem and Moslems have no honor, just a respect for power. And I do not trust any of them.

Well, I do not ascribe to the accuracy of your statement, however, I can assure you that it would be hard to top your remark.
DJ