History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Stuned
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 - 06:02 AM UTC
I am rather taken aback by Jim's latest posting. I thought we were doing rather well, but apparently I am not reflecting the owner's desires. I am battling to contain the emotional side of me. I'll stay the Moderator as long as Jim allows me. In the future, we must keep our topics confinded to historical issues and avoid anything suggestive of current events. Keep plugging away, we have a solid group of contributors and we need to play closer to the rules.
DJ
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 - 07:07 AM UTC
I was guilty this morning of posting a current event rant to the junk drawer forum. I fully expected it to be pulled, but either Jim or Great Brit was much faster than I expected. I don't even know if anybody saw it. If I have stepped on any toes by posting it I'm sorry. I do agree with the policy of no current events but thought I might push the envelope. I see no reason that you should be pulled as moderator 210cav, as long as you continue to support Jim's wishes in this area and moderate the History Club accordingly.
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 - 08:12 AM UTC
The locked postings - including the one I posted on the Media and the conduct of the war I thought were in keeping with the "historical" context of the forum. Rather than ranting about this or that I felt I was presenting a historical perspective of what's not being reported in OIF.

We are living through historical times right now. Since 9-11-01 America has been historically entered into a struggle with terrorism, including Iraq. If this is not history then what is it?

Again, I understand why the Current Event forum was pulled. To much heat. But I thought I and others were being good.

210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 12:39 AM UTC
GSP-- see that's where I have a problem with the sensitivities of some people. I noted that we had a conversation going then all the sudden someone pumps in "this conversation has gone down hill." Really? Why because someone wrote something that is less than agreeable? So, the answer is to shut off debate. The Current Event Forum was cool. People really spoke their mind. That was unaccepatble. I don't appreciate the logic of the argument, but I only desire to correspond with people in this Forum. So, play by the rules.
DJ
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 12:48 AM UTC
hello gents,

i thought this might have happened before long, and i can say im suprised,
most of the recent threads in this forum were current events ones, and agree with it or not, they arent allowed. so i can see why jim felt he needed to do it this way.

DJ, i feel you do a good job here in making sure whatever topic is being discussed remains civil and polite, and i know i have been guilty of these threads in the past, so i think we should just get on with discussing history, as we always have done, and keep to the rules.

i for one would be happy to see a current events forum, but i understand why there isnt one

cheers

joe
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 547 Posts
KitMaker Network: 268 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 07:54 AM UTC
I never like using a computer to talk to people, it removes way to much that goes into communication-- tone of voice, body language,, etc. Even though, from what I see, most people are friendly and can have a civil conversation, there is the potential for alot of misunderstanding. I stuck my nose into one conversation about a "current event" and I do not think I ever will again. I come here to talk about scale modeling, for me its a place to get away from current events, since, unfortunatly, most current events are troubling if its all you ever talk about.

Let me throw this question out there...has anybody ever had a change of heart towards a member because of current event discussions?

Keep on tankin'
Sean
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 08:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Let me throw this question out there...has anybody ever had a change of heart towards a member because of current event discussions?

Yes.

Gunnie
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 08:18 AM UTC
Its kinda amusing really because when we had the current events forum, almost everyone that posted in there revealed practically thier true nature and sometimes it wasnt pretty. I fully agree with Jim's viewpoints on matters like this because we need to keep the place clean. Just my two cents.
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 547 Posts
KitMaker Network: 268 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 08:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes.

See, that is why I feel that we should stick to modeling, I wouldn't want to see the site break down into factions that hold grudges against others....

Sean
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 01:14 PM UTC
Sean-- you got that right. I going back to the Tamiya KV-1.
Stay safe
DJ
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 06:58 AM UTC
Of course, one could use absolute logic here. If it has already happened, it is History. The Iraq war started almost a year ago.

Just being a pain #:-)
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 06:50 PM UTC
I'm also guilty of contributing to a current topic. I am quite prepared to abide by the rules in future. But for example, would it be ok if we discussed for example, The Saddam issue in a year's time?
However I understand the voice from above, this site is for fun and helping each other and I realise the values of the site have to be protected.

Rules are rules.
Peter
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 01:41 AM UTC
Peter---- You can discuss anything you want at anytime you want. If it violates the rules, we'll tell you. Don't assume you have a topic limit. In recent days, no one has posted a topic and that is worrisome. So, post whatever you want and do not limit yourself to "what if Superman was a Nazi" type subjects. You can only die once.
DJ
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 02:11 AM UTC
Hi. Personally I've avoided the History Club section mainly because of the issue of what a person can and can not post. I look upon history as something that has happened in the past, whether 500 yrs., 50 year. or 5 minutes ago. And no time period or place in the world is exempt if said person is interested in gaining more information and knowledge of a specific event(s). After all the events of today are the direct result of decisions and events that have taken in some period of 'history.'

I see the reasoning for banning the current issues of all the Middle Eastern happenings, and other current events mainly because there are so many sides to all these happenings, many of which most of us know nothing about because it's bascially kept hidden behind the closed doors of 'national security' and the various arms makers making a quick buck off of the lives of the commom people world-wide.

But any historical period can cause folks to argue, rant and rave about the issues involved. Just as an examle here: The American Civil War, which is still one of the most hotly debated issues among folks who follow this period. Which, by the way, I see hardly mentioned here, most probably due to this very fact. And nothing can get me personally started faster on a rant and rave that somebody demoting the American Indian people and the supposed 'superiority' of the white man's ideas, religion, and race over them.

So we all can have issues and sides we tend to take concerning any period, from the cave man days to the present. So just because modern issues are banded doesn't mean folks here aren't going to argue about things. After all we're only human, and we are all going to take sides on some issue, sooner or later.

Thanks for letting post my opinion, for what it's worth. Take care, Sgirty
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 09:19 AM UTC
DJ,
I understand your desire to discuss current events and I respect them. In return I know you will respect my desire to keep current events discussions off of this site based on my 10 year experience on the net.

All,
By "my" definition (as some have raised the point of what is "history") current events are those topics being currently debated in society. For example 9-11 might be considered a historical event. But it is also an event still high on our minds and hotly debated.

Heated debates are what I am trying to avoid here. I have been on plenty of sites where the majority of users despise each other yet continue to come back and banter with their arch-rivals for "posting supremacy". That is something I don't want to see happen here.

The "reason" there is a historical forum on this site is to talk about historical topics that somewhat relate to modeling. "Did the introduction of the T-34 mean the end of the Third-Reich?". That kind of thing.

While I don't like "dictating" what members can or cannot post about, I also know that my responsibility to ALL the members of the site requires me to set these rules. Otherwise...who knows? Cat's and Dog's....living together !

Thanks,
Jim
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 09:56 AM UTC
^^^^ Ditto