_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Which HEMMIT to get....
Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 335 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 05:13 AM UTC
I think thats the name of the vehicle or something close to it. But which kit is the better buy? I know that Italeri has one, and so does Revell anyone else make one? Iam looking for the one with the cargo bed not the water truck, unless the tank in the back can be removes so its just the bed.
Also, if any one has one for sale let me know and we'll work something out.

thanks,
Mike
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 05:36 AM UTC
I have built the Italeri version only and I like it. For the money, it is a nice kit. The other version that you refer to is a fuel tanker. I have not built the Revell version but I am sure that it is a good kit also. I must say the tires are a little on the weak side as far as authentic detail but there are aftermarket ones that are great.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 07:38 AM UTC
Howdy armor135,

In plastic those are your only choices. And as animal said, the Italeri is a decent kit for the sheckles. Also as he said, the tyre's are almost throw-away items...very weak, and inaccurate.
Now if you don't mind resin, you have a few more choice's. Including the tractor version, the wrecker version, and the Patriot Missle System version, along with the C&C Trailer version.
I don't think they offer the Mk.48 Articulated version, but I might be wrong.
If I may ask, what type of build are you looking to do?

Tread.

Oh...BTW. If you're looking for the larger 16.5-Ton PLS style wheels and tyre's, I just happen to have a set of ten (10) already cast and in a bag.
Let me know. :-)
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
entire network: 4,342 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 10:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think thats the name of the vehicle or something close to it. But which kit is the better buy? I know that Italeri has one, and so does Revell anyone else make one? Iam looking for the one with the cargo bed not the water truck, unless the tank in the back can be removes so its just the bed.

The model with the tank is a fuel tanker, not water truck. And tank cannot be removed. The kit you are looking for is M977 HEMTT and only Italeri makes it. Revell was selling Italeri kit in their own box, but with MUCH better decals and two rocket pods from Dragon MLRS kit as a cargo. Unfortunately Revell kit is out of production. If you however can get it somewhere it is a way to go as decals in Italeri kit are very poor. Revell kit was more expensive, but decals and extra cargo was worth extra price.

Replacing wheels is a must and you may also consider other improvements, like replacement crane. You can get a few detail sets for HEMTTs from Pro Art:
http://www.proartmodels.be/prod_tabel.htm#modern

Rgds,
Pawel
tom
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 681 Posts
KitMaker Network: 193 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2004 - 01:18 PM UTC
I bought the Italeri kit today and I seen that pro art has alot of extras for both the tanker, and the flat bed I got the tanker because I seen in a pic a m1a1 abrams refueling from a hemmit.

It gave some great ideas to have a m-925A2 giving them ammo, and the hemmt giving them feul.

I heard that the italeri is better it fits together real good

Happy :-) Modeling
SFC_StJohn
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 128 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2004 - 02:18 PM UTC
I'm not sure, but I thought that a friend of mine had built a M984 HEMTT wrecker.... maybe not, I'll have to ask him. I think that I remember him showing me the way the hydraulic cylinders on the rear of the vehicle worked. I'll ask him, if he has I'll ask him what company was putting it out. That would be a good one to build if so!

Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 12:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tom, I don't think that refueling and resuplying ammo will take place at the same time and location but I'll think one of the "active" members can confirm this.

Happens all the time during LOGPAC (logistical package) operations. M977 drops off pallets of honeycombs (ammo racks) and the fueler either sets up like a gas station or drives up to the rear of each vehicle. This is referred to as "service station" or "tailgate" resupply. First sergeant and supply sergeant also resupply MREs and feed a hot meal if that is scheduled.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 02:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't think that refueling and resuplying ammo will take place at the same time and location

Im sure I have seen a picture recently of a M1 just leaving a supply truck and then pulling up to the HEMMIT fuel version to get fuel. Both supply trucks were parked, one after the other.
tom
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 681 Posts
KitMaker Network: 193 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 10:50 AM UTC
I my have seen it in the begining of the war I have a alot of pictures from the start to now on two CD's when I came down I must have left them up there. But thanks :-) for the correct info guys. I wasn't sure but will take what use say as gold and must be true.

Right now I am building the m-925A2 for it and will do the hemmit next then and M1A1 Abrams whan there is a group build, there are always one going on the forums.

I will fully resin up on the hemmit because I think it would be fun to build in resin there is more detail.

Happy :-) Modeling
Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 335 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 01:19 PM UTC
Thanks for all the input guys really helped me out. I just have to keep my eye open for one.

TreadHead, how much do you want for the tires and wheels? I may get them iam not sure I stil have to get the kit. Or was really works on crapy tires is to cover them in mud. #:-)

thanks again,
Mike
 _GOTOTOP