_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Hobby light options?
woodstock74
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,189 Posts
KitMaker Network: 343 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 02:20 AM UTC
Gotta question for the group: So I'm realizing I'm starting to struggle with my eyesight a bit, nothing serious mind you, and actually it has more to do with the lighting in my house after dark. With every light on in the house, after the kids go to bed, I'm just struggling to see what I'm working on with any comfort.

Has anyone any recommendations for a closeup hobby light that:

>doesn't give off much heat
>is "portable", perhaps has a clamp to mount to a table: I don't have a permanent place to model and have to clean up each night
>reasonably priced

Any suggestions?
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 03:46 AM UTC
Mike, I've been using an Ottlite lamp for several years and I do like the light quality, it doesn't get hot, and it is the right size, about 12"tall with a heavy base, and with the horizontal shaded tube bulb just below eye level so there's no direct glare but the subject matter is well lit. Some things I don't like - replacement bulbs seem like a bit of a rip off, but the light is good and an ordinary bulb just doesn't cut it. The design of the lamp I have folds away, but the bending has damaged the electric cord over time and I've had to rewire it twice, so I now no longer fold it. They actually don't seem to sell that model any longer, so I can't comment on the new designs, though some models still use the same 13w bulb that mine has and which I do like - others use LEDs which again I cannot comment on. So if you can find one of suitable size with that bulb then I think you will find the light to be good. Note that one of their new designs that I looked at a a potential replacement for mine turned out to be very big, like over two foot tall, which was oversized for my limited space. Hope this has been of some help.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 03:57 AM UTC
I think this is the newer version of the one I have, maybe they fixed the cord bending issue. The size of this one is good in my view.
http://products.ottlite.com/p-388-13w-slimline-task-lamp.aspx
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 04:17 AM UTC
Hi Mike,

10 years ago at the National Model Railroad Assoc. convention in Cincinnati, one of the seminars was delivered by a professor of optometry on just this subject. I have (had?) a large handout he prepared and the long and the short of it is this: get a light that is balanced towards sunlight and try for something towards 5-7000 illumines (I don't recall the exact terms). Basically, bright is good so long as it is balanced towards natural light.

Like Matt said, look for an Ottlite. They work well for me.
Sandbox
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 350 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 07:34 PM UTC
I picked up from Home Depot two clip on work lights. They have spring type clamps that clip on nicely to shelves, etc. I put in 50w Halogen flood bulbs. Good color rendition, fairly intense light and not too much heat given off.
An alternative is low voltage track light strip with multiple heads. Again with halogen quartz lamps. This is pricer and not as portable but with multiple heads you can really flood the work surface from various directions without too many shadows.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 357 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 09:03 PM UTC
1) You want at least 2 sources of light to avoid shadows as much as possible. More is better. Lamps that accept standard screw in bulbs are the most economical. The task lamps on large arms are best, as they don't get in your way as much, and you can move them around as needed.

2) You want to reduce glare. The easiest way to think about this is that when you're working, you don't want to physically "see" the bulb itself. This can mean the lights are above you, or are shaded in some way so that you don't see them.

3) There are different temperature "colors". If you go to Home Depot, you want the "daylight" bulbs. These will give you the truest colors while painting.

4) CFL or LED are the best options for avoiding heat. The issue with LED's is that they sometimes end up more as a spotlight and less of a flood light, and you want light everywhere, not just one small point. CFL's are also typically cheaper.

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 09:08 PM UTC
I use halogen desk lamps, that I picked up for $20 each. IMHO they are just as good as OTT or LED lights. However, you can get LED lamps for about the same price.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 09:14 PM UTC
I picked up a lamp at an office supply store. Magnifying glass in the center surrounded by LED lights. It is a swing arm type that can be moved easily. Gives me lots of light and helps me see what I am working on clearly. It was less than $40.00.
Jagdleopard
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 30 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 09:24 AM UTC
I have two lamps on my desk. One is a standard architect style desk lamp using an LED bulb. The other is a compact, fixed bulb, LED lamp. http://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Dimmable-Touch-Sensitive-Controller-Black/dp/B00M7TVSG2 They make different models and different colors. They are very lightweight and are quite bright.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 357 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 08:00 PM UTC
For the lamp itself, this is my favorite:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20370383/

Inexpensive, long reach, versatile clamp. Then buy daylight bulbs from a home improvement store, like this:

http://www.amazon.com/EcoSmart-Equivalent-Spiral-Daylight-4-Pack/dp/B0042UN1U0

2 lamps + the bulbs will be less expensive than the previously linked lamp, and provide better lighting, less eye fatigue, and more versatility.
Alystyr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 146 Posts
KitMaker Network: 39 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 09:41 AM UTC
Not a standalone light, but this is what I use:
http://www.amazon.com/Quasar-Led-Lighting-System-Optivisors/dp/B0058ECQ46
All you need is an OptiVisor to put it on.
Nice, shadow-free bright light. Runs acceptably on a pair of AA batteries for several hours of continuous use.

To tell the truth, I'm lost if I don't have it with me.
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 - 11:49 PM UTC
Unlike you I do have a dedicated modeling space but like you I too struggled with proper lightning. I ended up getting a couple of $10 LED lamps from IKEA, the kind with flexible necks. They come with fairly heavy bases but I ended up making mounting brackets so I could install them in a semi-permanent manner to my work area in order to save space. You could leave the base(s) on. The flexible necks are great because I can position the lights to shine exactly where I need them to. I also have a small fluorescent shop light to light up the back of the work space.

Here are couple of photos of my work area. The bottom photo shows how much light the two LED lights provide.

SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 11:22 PM UTC
Ott-Lite. Pick any model you want, whatever is better for you. But buy an Ott-Lite. There is no better quality modeling lamp and the light they produce is daylight-balanced. Your model will look the same under your Ott-Lite as it does in the sunlight. The color rendition will be the best you can obtain in a light and there is no glare. It will not cause eye fatigue.
I've had Ott-Lites for 25 years and wouldn't use anything else.
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 1,138 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 11:51 PM UTC
If I were you I would buy a couple of cheap softbox photography lights with a CFL bulb that is somewhat under daylight balance. I use them for both video work, photography and modelling. I position one softbox as a key light above and behind me, and another on my left side as a fill light. A white styrofoam, foamcore or showcard reflector on my right side fills in the shadows and bounces spill light back into my work area. The lights I have feature four cfl bulbs that can be switched of individually to adjust for brightness. I use 5000 kelvin most days, or bump up to 5500k for very dark days. Forget lux and lumens - only colour temperature is important. cfl bulbs run cooler and can be cheaply bought online. Forget expensive hobby lights with expensive replacement bulbs. For what it's worth I am a professional lighting technician for TV and movies. I figure if it's good enoughn for The Walking Dead, it's good enough for my hobby table!

PS avoid so called daylight bulbs or white balance bulbs from hardware stores - regardless of their claim they are far from it. That's why they usually don't have the Kelvin rating. They are actually closer to tungsten temperature...about 3600K. Get bulbs with a Kelvin rating of 5000k or higher.

ColinEdm
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 19 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2015 - 07:45 AM UTC
Got a magnifying lamp from Lee Valley Tools, adjustable, works great, and they have free shipping until January 6.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=56768&cat=1,70596,43349,56768
 _GOTOTOP