_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
M120 Mortar help request...
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 04:07 AM UTC
Hi everyone,

Yep the weird one here... #:-)

I'm getting ready to do the ground mount version of this weapon and if you guys 'in the know' could help me out, I'd really appreciate it.

1) It appears that the blast attenuation device (BAD) on the end of the tube is not normally used when deployed off of the track. Is this true? Most ground ref pics that I find do not have the BAD fitted. If this is the case, then I'll have to cut MR's off. (??) Is this actually the difference between the M120 and the M121? (If so, then MR's kit is actually an M121.)

My BAD has a slight dent in it and I was planning on putting on a dust cover. (If in fact the BAD is deployed.)

2) Does anyone have any pictorial reference to a dust cover 'bag'?

Would sincerely appreciate any help! :-)
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 07:24 AM UTC
I'm certainly not the better to answer this, but I do know that the M120 is the towed version while the M121 is the carrier-mounted version.
The M120 towed system consists of the M298 Cannon (tube), M190 Bipod, M9 Baseplate, and the M67 Sight Unit.
The M121 tracked carrier version consists of the M298 Cannon, M191 Bipod, M9 Baseplate, and the Carrier Adaption Kit. With the use of an auxiliary M9 Baseplate and extension feet for the M191 Bipod, the M121 can be dismounted from the vehicle and emplaced for ground-mounted operation.

Go HERE for more info.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 07:56 AM UTC
Thanks for the reply... I've had that page bookmarked.

It does appear that the BAD is used only for when firing within the track, but I just haven't been able to confirm that pictorially or in writing. I think that the tube is long enough for the ground crew to easily keep away from the muzzle blast whereas the cramped quarters of the fighting compartment makes it more difficult to get out of the way and the extension is required.

I'm starting to gather a few TMs on the weapon (mostly of the carrier), but there is no mention in those (that I have seen anyway) that the BAD is to be removed for ground ops.

I'll ask Camp Lejune and Ft. Bragg if they can help... I just hate to bother them.

I appreciate your time to reply...
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 08:00 AM UTC
I tried to get the TM's No luck they're password protected online
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 08:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I tried to get the TM's No luck they're password protected online

Thanks Matt... I've tried there in the past as well, but I've since managed to pick up a couple of hard copies.

Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 08:44 AM UTC
Kevin, there's a couple pics here that may help.(?)

Mortar Carriers

...and here's a very large PDF that may help too. It's 412 pages! Be sure to have Adobe Acrobat installed prior to viewing.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 08:48 AM UTC
Cool link More Tm's........hehehe
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 09:21 AM UTC
Ken... thanks for the links! Seems to be confirming my beliefs that the BAD is only mounted when on the track.

That pdf file will take some time to go thru... Section III does look promising, and that's where I'll be when no one is looking.... (or when no one needs the printer :-))

Thanks Ken!!
 _GOTOTOP