_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Putting BB's in paint bottles...
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 547 Posts
KitMaker Network: 268 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2004 - 10:16 AM UTC
I saw this tip in a modelingt book....putting copper BB's in with the paint so you can shake it and mix the paint...kind of like a rattle can I guess. Anybody ever try this? I thought shaking paint created air bubbles -- and thats a no-no. Thoughts?

Sean
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2004 - 10:29 AM UTC
I do it, with paint that I am not going to shoot through the airbrush. Never had a problem.

Shaun
yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 415 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2004 - 01:28 PM UTC
I put the BB's in the bottles too. Then I use a heavy duty vibrating back massager to really shake up the paint.
Tony_Frey
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 272 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2004 - 03:34 PM UTC
If you do, make sure they are copper or lead and not steel ; I made the mistake of using some copper coated steel bb's in some acrylic paint, and they started to rust!! Ruined 7 or 8 bottles of paint.
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2004 - 04:43 PM UTC
I did and it mixed up pretty good. I would reccomend doing it to the ones that you don't want to airbrush out of.

~Chip :-)
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,092 Posts
KitMaker Network: 438 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 02:34 AM UTC
The wife's fingernail polish has BBs in it so I'll have to give a shot on the model enamels to see if I can stop wasting paint on stir sticks.

Paul
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 02:41 AM UTC
Can't plastic BB's be used? I have helluva of them.
Babva
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 141 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 02:46 AM UTC
I don't shake my paint bottles... I gently stir till they are mixed. I try to keep as much paint from getting on bottle threads as possible.

Whenever I shake the bottles... this always seems to happen. Plus ... by stiring I'am sure that I do not have any pigment in a small glob in the bottom.

Jim
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,092 Posts
KitMaker Network: 438 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 03:11 AM UTC
Another hazard of shaking: Paint in the thread and a tight fit might make it seem that the lid is on tight when it's not. I now shake in a plastic bag after splatter painting the spare bed next to the work desk. Not a good way to draw the wife's attention.

Paul
StarTraveler
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 109 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 05:20 AM UTC
I use a small hand held paint mixer I bought from Micromark about 5-6 years ago. Uses a AA battery. I love that thing. Mixes paint very well and if you are careful does not put bubbles in the paint. I do not know what the price is now, but back then it was only about $3-4.
SFC_StJohn
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 128 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 12:11 AM UTC
I've been doing this for a while now, I put at least 6 BBs per bottle and it really seems to help shake up bottles that I haven't opened for a while. I use Copperheads and I've not had any problems yet (knock on wood.....).

Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 01:33 AM UTC
I use the Micro-mark stirrer and I have used bb's. Both work well. Remember to look for the Micro-Mark sales, where the stirrer goes from $10 to $5 or $6. Also, remember, if you use the stirrer to keep the wavy agitator end well below the top of the bottle...ugly.
I have a tall, small diameter plastic bottle with water in it. After I stir a bottle and let the excess drain of the stirrer into the bottle, I'll put the stirrer in bottle one and turn it on to clean it. Then in it goes to bottle two with soap and water. Spin away.
I do the same thing with brushes- bottle one is water. Bottle two is soap and water. Three is rinse water and four is windshield wiper fluid. Five is final rinse. Boom, boom, boom.
Another benefit, is that the first bottle makes a lovely wash after a while. It's that indescrible "yuck" color.

Sealhead (Kansas Sunflower)
 _GOTOTOP