TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
The John Wayne problem
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,454 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 03:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I gotta go for "Battle of Britian" with Micheal Caine....... #:-) #:-)

Taka taka taka taka takatakatakata
good one Penny
Arthur
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 03:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gunnie: I'm not certain, It sounds familiar, Can you give a few more details??

DAGGER-1

It is a take-off on the video game series "Final Fantasy", produced recently. It's probably 6-months old right now. Check it out at: http://www.finalfantasy.com

"Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within" the story takes place on Earth in 2065, where a meteor crash unleashes an alien species on the planet. The creatures are destroying the planet and the movie is about the heroes and their attempt to halt the alien infestation.

This movie has won awards for its advances in CGI technology - and in some of the shots I found myself blinking twice - they looked that real. If you've seen the CGI Starship Troopers that BKN did a year or so ago and thought that was good - this blows it away. It's as far above what has been done previously in CGI as Japanese anime is beyond Saturday Morning cartoon fare we grew up with. It's as big of a leap as Macross Plus is over Battle of the Planets in terms of production quality, story, and musical score. I think you'd like it.

Gunnie
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 05:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

YEAH BUT YOU CANT FIND ANYTHING MUCH ELSE THAT IS EQUILVILENT TO ROBOTECH IN THE VIDEO DEPTS UNLESS YOIU COUNT GUNDAM, WHICH I DONT
I''VE SEEN OTHERS ON LATE NIGHT T.V. THAT ARE FAR BETTER THAN GUNDAM WING, LIKE BATTLE FOR MOON BASE ALPHA, ETC, ETC, BUT CANT SEEM TO FIND ANYTHING LIKE THAT IN THE VIDEO STORES. MUST I GO TO JAPAN TO GET SOME SATISFACTION??
DAGGER-1

I just love the whole macross saga...
But there are other good ones also :
- Jin Roh "the wolf brigade" ( civil war in Japan in the 50's if the axis had won the war)
- nadesico ( "space battleship nadesico")
- evangelion
- cowboy bebop, but this one ain't about war... the heroes are bounty hunters

and so many others...
Chief
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 498 Posts
KitMaker Network: 203 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 05:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

there are also too many john waynes in reenacting,mostly on the allied side

Sourkraut, I've seen my share of "Arian Supermen" in SS Camo at re-enactments too! Didn't know the camo smocks were made of Kevlar? LOL
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 05:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I just love the whole macross saga...
But there are other good ones also :
- Jin Roh "the wolf brigade" ( civil war in Japan in the 50's if the axis had won the war)
- nadesico ( "space battleship nadesico")
- evangelion
- cowboy bebop, but this one ain't about war... the heroes are bounty hunters

and so many others...

Gotta catch up on some of these PenPen! I really like Cowboy Bebop - very nice Jazzy tunes in that one!

Gunnie
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 08:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

because of this they have probably ruined many a movie that could have been much better. Which is kind of how I felt about Star Wars Episode I and II. If only a better Anakin had filed the role

And...? AND???? Episode I and II ? Episode I AND II?!?!?!?
Jim? Were you not satisfied at Haydens performance? OK, so there are a few spots where he could've done a little better, he's still light years beyond the 'Mannequin Skywalker' of Episode I! Anyone can honestly say that!

YodaMan
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 12:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

because of this they have probably ruined many a movie that could have been much better. Which is kind of how I felt about Star Wars Episode I and II. If only a better Anakin had filed the role

Jim? Were you not satisfied at Haydens performance? OK, so there are a few spots where he could've done a little better, he's still light years beyond the 'Mannequin Skywalker' of Episode I! Anyone can honestly say that!

YodaMan

YM,
Yeah I think Hayden did a "better" job then Jake But hey Jake was only 8 so you do have to cut him a little slack on his acting abilities. In reality I think a lot of the stiffness in Hayden and Jake's performances were due to the way George wrote the character. Maybe he wants us to see Anakin this way as he WILL be morphing into the MAN IN BLACK soon enough.

Personally (and maybe this is my age speaking) I think several people, including my wife, have pointed out something with Episode 1 and 2 that is very true. A bevy of "one-liners" they aren't. I mean watch the first 3 and you are constantly laughing or saying "hey...that is still a cool line even the 100th time around". Sure there are some in the new movies. I guess all the SFX made dialouge a problem.

Jim
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 05:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quote:

Quote:

because of this they have probably ruined many a movie that
could have been much better. Which is kind of how I felt about Star
Wars Episode I and II. If only a better Anakin had filed the role

Jim? Were you not satisfied at Haydens performance? OK, so there are a few
spots where he could've done a little better, he's still light years beyond the
'Mannequin Skywalker' of Episode I! Anyone can honestly say that!

YodaMan

They will certainly never be as good actors as Yoda (the little green one who doesn't build models) !
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 10:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

he's still light years beyond the 'Mannequin Skywalker' of Episode I! Anyone can honestly say that!

YodaMan

"Mannequin Skywalker" - you're a RIOT!!! Best thing I heard this morning so far!

Gunnie
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 10:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Personally (and maybe this is my age speaking) I think several people, including my wife, have pointed out something with Episode 1 and 2 that is very true. A bevy of "one-liners" they aren't. I mean watch the first 3 and you are constantly laughing or saying "hey...that is still a cool line even the 100th time around". Sure there are some in the new movies. I guess all the SFX made dialouge a problem

Sooo painfully true - "you assume too much" got run around the Pod Track one too many times...

Gunnie