_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Health and Safety
Have a question about what is safe or an experience that might warn others?
Problems with Testor's MM Paint Bottles
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 12:16 PM UTC
Hey there everyone....a moderator of another model web site that I frequent had an accident opening a bottle of MM paint.

You can go here to read his story:
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=2311

He has set up a petition to send to Testors to try and get them to change their bottle design, and maybe improve on their product. You can go to the petition here:
http://www.petitiononline.com/testors/petition.html

Now I personally haven't had any problem with MM paint jars....but that doesn't mean it can't happen...and I definatly don't want it to happen to me.

I put this on here to make everyone aware of the problems, not to preach or anything like that, and I hope that it doesn't turn into a thread like that over on Hyperscale....where everyone is coming down on the guy for not taking precautions...but then again, this is Armorama, and we are more mature over here.

So have a look at the story...have a look at the petition...and if you feel like signing it...please do so.

stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,434 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 03:47 PM UTC
I have to say I will not be signing this one. This gentleman was credible till he told the story of the accident. Nothing on him but a little common sense would prevail as this would happen with anyother brands bottles. Please think about not using a screwdriver and pliers to open stuck paint lids!!!! Thats right guys those 2 tools were the culprits in this accident first he tried prying from the bottom of the cap. I see the bottle neck as the fulcrum for the lever action. Wonder if the thought that it might cause cracks in the glass crossed his mind!!! Then he went to the trusted pliers. I wonder where this is going. thats right the top split at the neck of the Jar cutting our hero's hand. So please realize this when you sign the petition to testor. I for one think that even they would agree that fault was on our unfortunate friend! STUG
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 01:08 AM UTC
Had a jar of old Floquil fall on to the floor RUG mind you jar broke into 20 pieces Rug from about 3 feet, paint all over the rug, But jar was about 10 or more years old so does glass get bad with age?
I did clean it up as their was not that much paint left in it but if you look hard you can see a faint stain of ROOF BROWN on the Thank God old Rug!!!
Women says when the rugs get changed I have to either keep mine or cover floor in tile or plastic As she has seen little drops of red brown their and a little Camo yellow their Get it!!!!!

I too would not sign it have been using paints for 20 plus years and never broke a jar in hand!
Grab the Channel locks!!!
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 04:54 AM UTC
Well like I said....I am just doing the guy a favor and publishing the thread over here as not everybody goes to the What If website....just thought it would get more exposure over here.

Its up to everyone's own mind if they want to sign this or not....I am not going to start preaching or anything....I haven't met a Glass paint bottle, with a metal or plastic cap that I couldn't open with a set of channel locks and a little hot water.

I however did read how he did....however I thought he was being humerous as he was getting ripped up pretty good over on Hyperscale.....but then again...most of them are childish anyway....just my personal experiance and opinion.
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 06:50 AM UTC
Basic modeling 101
After your first experiance with a stuck lid,the Darwin in anyone makes them clean the threads very well the next time.
If a lid is still very stuck,and you havent remembered to clean the lid and threads,buy a new bottle.I open my bottles.then clean inside the lid immediately.Then I paint.Then I clead the threads.then I recap the bottle just snug.
I have a pair of Channel lock pliers handy,but have very seldom had to use them,and had only needed a slightly stronger grip,to open an offending jar.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 07:50 AM UTC
I've used pliers for 20 years, never broke a bottle yet, but I think it is time for Testor's to make a slght product improvement, if nothing else then to change out that worthless carboard piece in the cap.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 10:15 AM UTC
Hi there

Well I have to say I've got a workshop full of glass jars and I won't be starting any petitions or thinking of sueing the manufacturers if I hurt myself opening them because I've let the lids get stuck.

Stug obviously knows more about the story than is apparent from the link... from what he says I have very little sympathy with Supertom. Common sense should have prevented this accident and, in the UK at least, he'd get laughed out of court (I hope...).

Perhaps the clue to how seriously we should take all this lies in Supertom's line..."Wondering if Alyson Hannigan is naked right now"

Answers on a postcard...

All the best

Rowan
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2004 - 02:38 AM UTC
Darwin assistance:
On the small square MM bottles,I can hold it gently in a panavise,and open it with my channel locks.On the round MM bottles, I hope we are all using the pliers on the metal cap......
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2004 - 04:23 AM UTC
I've broken 1 that way w/ the plires that is. I now wipe every bottle!!!!
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2004 - 09:08 AM UTC
I paint exclusively with MM paints and its a love/hate relationship. I have had serious problems with the lids gluing themselves to the bottles. I've broken bottles and even a special tool designed to open stuck lids. In despiration I have resorted to WD-40 sprayed in the space between lid and bottle. A couple of minutes and the bottle opened. Like the guy with the cut hand I came close to a trip to the ER when the bottle shattered. I received several cuts and was able to pull the glass out with my tweezers - but OUCH! I hope the petition has some effect. I would like to see plastic bottles - maybe?

Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2004 - 05:39 PM UTC
Having used MM paints and other brands with similiar jar construction using also pliers never had a problem. I believe that to prevent any kind of accidents in modelling the key is patience and thinking before doing. Thats all. And i also believe that Testors have to redo their bottle to a more handy one
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 01:13 AM UTC
In all my years of modeling, I've had two bottles break...both times I used vice-grips and pliers. I no longer use vice grips.
The best containers I've ever used were the old humbrol tins: they've kept paint fresh for over 20 (no typo-twenty) years, and my copper is still usable.
That said, I've learned two more things...the cost of a bottle of paint is low enough not to risk injury and more recently that putting a couple drops of nail polish remover in the edge of the bottle while it's upside down will break up the paint pretty quckly.
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 01:13 AM UTC
Dont believe I can add much here to this subject. Like most I too use MM and have had problems with them getting stuck. But as you have also pointed out, A little Common sense and Paitence helps to get the job done without any SERIOUS accidents, Short of the jar suddenly coming open and paint getting all over my shirt and table etc, LOL So I am not certain that a petition is worth the time and effort. BUT as it has been pointed out it IS important that WE as modelers and Human beings be Paitent and understanding and as supportive as is possible when we see people like the person who reported this. And let them know that accidents Do Happen. But that we will not tolerate unkind or unsupportaive type mentalities here
Armorama has ALWAYS presented itself as a GROWN UP and Mature group of people who are serious about thier hobby But Kind and understanding. And is a leading example of a GREAT MODELING SITE...................OKAY So I THOUGHT I did not have much to add. Sorry Guys I will now step down from my SOAP BOX !!!! LOL
 _GOTOTOP