_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Union Jack Club
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
London- a veritable desert for modelling
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
entire network: 2,365 Posts
KitMaker Network: 474 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2015 - 07:15 PM UTC
...at least so it seems...

Does anyone live around the North London area? Are there any model shops remaining in London at all?
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,728 Posts
KitMaker Network: 279 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2015 - 11:32 PM UTC
I'm just north of the M25, you have Hannants at Hendon or KitKrazy in Bexley other than that I don't know of any more. The problem with London for model shops is the overheads are just too great for the shrinking market, they just can't compete with the online only guys which is a vicious circle for them.
spongya
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 01:18 AM UTC
Thank you for the reply. I'll put those into my navigation software... in case I go to the area

Yeah, this is a real shame. Birmingham has a couple of really nice shops, even Norwich has one - and London can't support it.
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 3,033 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 02:14 AM UTC
Hi

Yes, it's a grime outlook. Hannants at Hendon isn't brilliant and certainly doesn't compare to the other Hannants in Lowestoft.

http://www.hannants.co.uk/info/

The saving grace for the Hendon branch is that it's close to the RAF Museum, which even if aircraft isn't your main interest is worth a visit. Admission is free, you just pay for parking on site. http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/things-to-see-and-do.aspx

If you are travelling down Dorset way on holiday or going to the Tank Museum Bovington, a must for armour lovers, then you are better served for small independant model shops than most areas. Salisbury has Salisbury Model Centre and Endless Models, whilst Poole has Plastic Pastimes and Setchfields.

With the onslaught of online shopping sadly many are just disappearing from the bricks and mortar shop we use to shop at a few years ago.

Alan
spongya
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 07:28 PM UTC
I actually live close to the RAF museum... I might pop over this weekend to check the model store out.
chavey65
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 39 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 08:44 PM UTC
Yes it's a shame,same all over the uk,can anyone remember the model shop,just across from liverpool st station? got my dad to buy me a remote control tamiya Sherman that had a diff box that you could control with sliders, right and left tracks,and opposit,massive place for a ten year old,or the one that was out side roots hall,southend essex,sorry for going off topic, ,just happy day's,not many left now nation wide.
The_Snowman
Visit this Community
entire network: 92 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 05:14 PM UTC
It seems that the only "model" shops surviving south of London are GamesWorkshop and HobbyCraft.

That is a very limited selection. Thankfully they have the modelling show at the Brighton Centre every February, but that seem to be a shrinking affair.

I resort to shopping online.
Littorio
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 05:42 PM UTC
News that a new shop has opened in Croydon in St.Georges walk near where the old Model Aerodrome shop used to be.

For those on the south coast there is a small shop in Bognor
The_Snowman
Visit this Community
entire network: 92 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 06:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

News that a new shop has opened in Croydon in St.Georges walk near where the old Model Aerodrome shop used to be.

Thanks Luciano, how did you discover them?
Littorio
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 08:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks Luciano, how did you discover them?

The first one from a IPMS club member and the second from another member on here plus I've been there when visiting said member.
EdgarBrooks
Visit this Community
entire network: 397 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 09:25 PM UTC
It seems I must point out The Aviation Hobby Shop, Horton Road, West Drayton (about 15 minutes from Heathrow,) has moved about 100 yards into a small trading estate, and is now known as AJ Aviation Ltd.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 12:15 AM UTC
Hi, the new Croydon shop is called Kits4All, it's Unit 16c, St George's Walk, Croydon, CR0 1YH. It received a mention in the month's Military Modelling, and can't help agreeing with what they said:
"To open a model shop in today's climate is certainly a bold venture, so we wish William all the best!"
From the photos it does look like he has a good number of armour kits alongside the aircraft and boats, a proper kit shop.
Croydon did have a Beatties until 10 years ago, then a Model Zone in the Whitgift Centre.
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 12:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Croydon did have a Beatties until 10 years ago, then a Model Zone in the Whitgift Centre.

The Beatties shop closed down about 15 years ago, a very sad day as it was the first place I bought Tamiya 1/35th scale armour for the first time, back when I was about 12 teen.
Croydon used to have three model shops around the place, one in St Georges walk, Beatties and another one upstairs in the Whitgift Centre, which also sold air rifles, must to my Father's dismay when I bought one lol.
Andy :-)
Giraffe
Visit this Community
entire network: 1 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 05:48 PM UTC
Have to mention 4D models in Central London (London Bridge) not a model shop in the sense you were meaning but if you need supplies for dioramas, scratch builidng etc. this place is a veritable aladins cave and has a really good website too.
entlim
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 41 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 08:33 PM UTC
I think you mean Tower Bridge, as it is in LEMAN St
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 04:36 AM UTC
Not London by any stretch of the imagination, but if you find yourself in Halifax check out 'Halifax Modellers World' it will remind those of us of a certain age of the model shops of our child hood.
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 295 Posts
KitMaker Network: 90 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 05:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It seems that the only "model" shops surviving south of London are GamesWorkshop and HobbyCraft.

That is a very limited selection. Thankfully they have the modelling show at the Brighton Centre every February, but that seem to be a shrinking affair.

Sussex Model Centre in Worthing. Primarily radio control but also has a reasonable selection of plastic models and supplues.

Dorking Models in, errr, Dorking. Primarily plastic models. Small shop absolutely crammed. Striking shop window display full of built models.

Cheers,

Nigel
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 01:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Sussex Model Centre in Worthing. Primarily radio control but also has a reasonable selection of plastic models and supplues.

Dorking Models in, errr, Dorking. Primarily plastic models. Small shop absolutely crammed. Striking shop window display full of built models.

Cheers,

Nigel

Hi there

Dorking Models is a must for anyone in the area - a real "old style" model shop. I used to hike out there every week (literally - I used to walk over the Downs from Leatherhead to get some air into my lungs after a week working in The Smoke!) when I lived in Sutton and Carshalton. Get talking to Tony Lawrence, the owner - he is a gold mine of information and an inspiration.

All the best

Rowan
cromwell
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 202 Posts
KitMaker Network: 16 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 04:36 AM UTC
If you can make it into Essex. There is John Dutfield in Chelmsford(does a lot of railway stuff too). Colin Bliss in Maldon(Colin does R/C stuff as well). A1 in Colchester (R/C as well). So It sounds like I'm spoilt for choice compared to you.
 _GOTOTOP