_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Too much expertise here
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 02:51 AM UTC
I just posted a comment on a forum and got hit by this thought. There is so much good advice and help here that I can no longer build a kit straight from the box. I planned on doing so for the WoW campaign but still HAD to do one or two slight "tweaks" to the kit. Now don't think for one moment I've become a rivet counter, it is more the case that I've seen a technique or kit modification here and if it is applicable to whatever I'm building then I will do it, even though I sometimes just plan on a nice simple build, no bells or whistles. I was never like this before I started coming here, everything was OOB.
You are ALL to blame and I can't thank you enough. What a great site, even though I'm now even building kits in my dreams! [they always turn out so much better than in real life, you should have seen the one I did last night whilst asleep, a surefire contest winner] #:-)
This site really has got me hooked on the hobby big time. Just wanted to show some appreciation. This round's on me.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 02:54 AM UTC
Bwah-hah-hah-hah, we have captured and brain-washed another one, Fearless Leader. #:-)
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 04:59 AM UTC
Actually I think this is the natural progression of one's skills.
As you build more,you improve a certain amount.You look at what you have completed,and say to yourself,well,that could be done better.If you display your models anywhere,you make a bit more effort,knowing others will be looking at it.And if you use the internet,and visit sites similar to this,you will see thing you want to try,to improve.
Hopefully by showing off your work,you will in turn inspire other.
If not,
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 05:17 AM UTC
All I can say is AMEN, AMEN.
capnjock
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 06:19 AM UTC
Hi. Yes, brandydoguk, this site is a tad bit habit-frorming in some ways. If I spent the time modeling instead of reading on this site, and others, I would get a lot more done, but I would know nearly as much, which for me could be a dangerous thing. Ha! I'm learning that there are several different ways of doing just about anything on a model if you just keep you eyes open to the different forums on the Net. Some things work and some don't, but if you don't know about them and give them a try, you'll never know.

And whether you model for competition or just for fun, like me, with each and every one you build you see some improvement in your skills as a 'creator,' of something. And, besides, it sure beats the h--- of sitting around watching that electronic Idiot Box.

Take care, Sgirty
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 07:27 AM UTC
I'm now building models that Don't come in a box from the local hobby store and you think you got problems.....lol #:-)

I also have to thank everyone on site for encouraging me and helping me discover new skills.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 08:59 AM UTC
Gosh, the bug has bitten another time!!! Unfortunately I don't know a way out...
Ciao
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 09:16 AM UTC
:-) Just gets better and better :-)
Mal
Jurgen
Visit this Community
Limburg, Belgium
entire network: 651 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 10:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

they always turn out so much better than in real life, you should have seen the one I did last night whilst asleep, a surefire contest winner

... such a releave I'm not alone in this...
(now just got to find a way to do the things a dreamt of...)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 10:44 AM UTC

Huh....must be something in the air around here. As of late, I only look at the kit boxes at my local hobby shop for what parts I can use from them on something else. And, that 'something else' is a variation or a kit-bash of something else that I've measured/cut/glued/sanded and filed down to look a little like something else!!!!!
And this is just the 'tracked' thingies...now I'm getting into the 'floaty' thingies......Sheeeesh!!

Will the madness never end!! #:-) #:-) #:-)

Tread.

I need to build (as Monty Python would say) "something completely different!"
phoenix-1
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 629 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 10:57 AM UTC
Tread I know exactly what you mean. I canaballized the beautiful 1:72 scale M1A1 Abrahms for the road wheels, suspension, tracks, and machine guns. And it was all thanks to those here at the site. #:-)
Kyle
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 12:30 PM UTC
I know how this feels....I have recently started my first ever WWII fighter build, a 1/48 Hobbycraft Me109D.....decent kit for a Hobbycraft kit....good detail...and an actual real cockpit instead of decals.
Already I have done some minor things to make it look a little better....like the engine exhaust...drilled them out to make them look a little more realistic....well I guess thats all it has been so far....but still....now I just have to come up with the proper colors to paint the damn thing....not used to all these RLM colors....lol
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 10:26 PM UTC
Orl,reet Brandydog.
Look on the bright side...you are definitely not alone.
But the more you progress, the more you will know just how far each kit can be taken.....Never say never.
Don't worry about it, just think of all the end results being better than before.
I'm afraid 'thurs nowt tha con do abe'at it' so you might as well just sit back and enjoy the ride with the rest of us model junkies.
Cheers
Peter
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 03:39 AM UTC
Howdy fellas,

Like the thread.

After reading thru it again, I'm going to be a little selfish here and invite you guys to join up with the Twilight 2000 '04 Campaign! If you think you're stretching your modeling limits now....well, give the T2K '04 Campaign a go, and believe me, you will definitely NOT be the same again!!
Seriously though. Mine, and I think everyone else's participation in that Campaign really expanded our modeling knowledge, techniques and abilities. And even if it's not your 'cup of tea', the experience will make you a much better armed modeler in the end. And you can use your new experience's and apply them to your usual 'fare' and feel confident that you've added something to your 'mix'. :-)

Tread out.
Jurgen
Visit this Community
Limburg, Belgium
entire network: 651 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 06:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

invite you guys to join up with the Twilight 2000 '04 Campaign

couldn't find too much info on the campaign... where can I find it?

aaarrrghh another challenge.... #:-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 06:57 AM UTC
Howdy Jurgen,

We just finished T2K '03 Campaign this past December 31, 2003 at midnight. You can find some more info, or just troll for interest at the thread called 'T2K 2004 Campaign Central Thread' under the 'Latest Posts' column.
Our good member 'Gunnie' is the moderator and general 'Ramrod' on the Campaign, so you know it's being run well!
If you want a very, very, long read...do a search for T2K '03 Campaign, or look for the thread entitled T2K, where is everyone?' That'll give you an overall idea of the kind of fun we have!!

Check it out.

Tread.
 _GOTOTOP