_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
help with Dremel drill tool
muca
Visit this Community
Pavia, Italy
entire network: 88 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 05:44 AM UTC
I'm looking for a new drilling tool, I have a Dremel one, for house workd, but it's too bulky and too fast (palstic would melt and it doesn't take the smallest drills)
I would like to purchase it online, better if on Ebay (since I have Paypal credit).
Any advice?

thnx
bye
Luca
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 05:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

have a Dremel one, for house workd, but it's too bulky and too fast (palstic would melt and it doesn't take the smallest drills)

Dremel have different fittings to help with all these problems. There is an adjustable speed, so you should be ale to slow it down. The chuck you are using must be quite big, geared more toawards DIY, but you can buy a smaller chuck to hold smaller tools. Dremel also have a flexi cord with a chuck in the end, so the dremel is not held, only the end of the flexi cord. I use a dremel and love it as it can be used for so much. Maybe it would be a cheaper option to look into some of these things!
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 06:13 AM UTC
I have a Proxxon and a Dremel. For modeling I love the Proxxon more than the Dremel tool. It also has an adjustable speed, that can go as low as 500 rpm without loosing strength. I just love this tool.
boosahmer
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 651 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 06:16 AM UTC
I have a Dremel also, variable speed, and I use it for models all the time. If you have a single speed, you can get a foot pedal that will vary the speed...good luck
MGard
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 60 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 06:22 AM UTC
I used a Dremel with a speed controller for years and still found it was too fast to use on plastic. I recently bought a Minicraft drill with speed controller from www.minicrafttools.com. I love it. The speed controller will adjust from 0rpm up to 30,000.

Mike
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 06:36 AM UTC
Here's an option......Got one of these:

Get this:

Special Chuck Fits Your Cordless Screwdriver for Slow Speed Drilling
Most drills and rotary tools spin too fast for working in plastic and for tiny detail work. This special chuck with 1/4 inch hex shank fits your slow turning Black and Decker or other cordless screwdriver to solve this problem. Holds drill bits from 1/8 inch to #59. Take advantage of the quick-change feature of the 1/4 inch shank...buy several chucks and keep your most-used drill bits ready to go.

Micromark Has them
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 06:04 PM UTC
I have both a Dremmel and a Minicraft variable.
The Dremmel is powerful and fast and can indeed melt plastic.
The Minicraft is equally good but because of its variable speed is more flexible.
Having used both I couldn't choose between them.
Cheers
Peter
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 08:52 PM UTC
I HAVE 3-4 mini tools but my dremel pro with variable speed and flexi is the best by far. i have a cheap one (28) also with no much of speed and power which does good work on plastic. i d choose to arm my dremel with many features (flexi, chucks, speed control ) and use this . Proxxons ara also very good as i have tested but here they re almost double price and i don know why
muca
Visit this Community
Pavia, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 11:12 PM UTC
hey, thank you to everybody for your help!!

Eagle, can u tell me the model u purchased?

thnx again
take care
ciao
Luca
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 12:36 AM UTC
Luca,

I have this configuration :

Minitool Proxxon MM40/E

Transformer NG2/E
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 01:10 AM UTC
You can also go to the hardware store and look for an in line rheostat. I have a 20+ year old dremel running through this and you can get speeds just about as slow as you want. As others said, you can get a smaller chuck that will fit a small bit. I have also used the black and decker power driver but the internal battery is fiailing. For heavy duty, such as drilling holes for support rods in whilte metal I use a regular cordless drill.
muca
Visit this Community
Pavia, Italy
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 09:04 AM UTC
I was looking for Proxxon tools and I found out that, on Ebay Germany, you can buy a tool + speed regulator combo for something like 30/35 euro (About $25/30.00)...that's a great price?
I thought to share this with other European modellers!!!
Thnx again for your help!

ciao
Luca
dman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 64 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 10:08 AM UTC
I actually have two different dremels at my place. One is actually a dremel brand, and the other is mastercraft. What I'm wondering is, what exactly do you guys use the dremels for?

I'm working with 1/35 scale figures, and some armour. Would it come in handy for anything there? I can't imagine what the dremel could be used for.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 08:39 PM UTC
You can use it fro drilling sanding and forming sheet styrene or other plastic parts while scratchbuilding on armor and also big use in dioramas that u can do many things easily and steadily especially if you have a flexible on
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 10:44 PM UTC
Maybe someone should do an article on using these kids of tools or modelling I got one but aprt from drilling holes dont really know how to use it properly and the vairous things that it can create
muca
Visit this Community
Pavia, Italy
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 03:00 AM UTC
I use Dremel (before starting looking for something less bulky) to drill holes, have clean cuts and, mostly, to remove resin blocks from resin parts.
I think that, with some creative imagination, we would find more uses for Dremels/Proxxon.
I saw an article of a guy using it, at really low rpm, to paint circular themes on historical figures sheilds....
 _GOTOTOP