_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
when the model is done
railbuilderdhd
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 113 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 10:58 PM UTC
Hi Folks,

I was just thinking about how I need to install some shelves at home to display what I build. This got me to thinking what do some folks do with all the models they completed. I figured I would as and see what everyone is doing with the completed models. Do you display them at home or a hobby shop, throw them in a box to only look at every now and again when you run across them. Or do any of you try to sell the completed models? Who would buy a completed model? I figure the best part is the build and painting.

What do you guys think?

Dave
JClapp
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,265 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 11:19 PM UTC
I have grand plans for a display diorama where I can put out all my models, like a railroad layout, it would take up a whole room. Unfortunately, I will have to build that room, as it doesnt exist in my little house. so, my closets are stuffed with cardboard boxes full of completed models in bubble wrap, which i almost never see.

I agree the activity of building and decorating models is the real goal, but viewing the finished product is pleasing too, especially many pieces together in one place.

if you watch online auctions, there are people who will buy finished models. indeed, there are people who will commission the building of models, and pay good money for them. The model railroad world has a great deal of that going on. I dont suggest anyone think they are going to make a living doing it, but it could at least be a relief valve for the over active model builder...

railbuilderdhd
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 113 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 12:07 AM UTC
I love your idea of a model layout to display all your models in a room sized diorama. That would be really great if you had the room and the time. Be sure to post as you get that project started.
JClapp
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,265 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 12:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I love your idea of a model layout to display all your models in a room sized diorama. That would be really great if you had the room and the time. Be sure to post as you get that project started.

since you inquire, here is phase 1, still under construction, and a few models.

phase 2 will include the fire station with several fire trucks, and the fuel transfer depot with some fuel trucks.
Vierville
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
entire network: 384 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 12:14 AM UTC
I put my models on wooden bases that have a small groove in them so that a perspex lid can fit over it. It keeps dust off the model and allows me to display the model. I have a book case and some shelves but in all honesty I feel better keeping models in storage trunks in their perspex cases as I've had more than one model break by accident.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,033 Posts
KitMaker Network: 361 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 01:22 AM UTC
@ Jonathan, That is really Impressive Sir! Keep posting your work ... please!

Here's my really simple, modest one-shelf display. I kinda' like displaying my built kits in front of the box-art. I tend to cycle kits in-and-out of storage boxes depending on my mood. I'll eventually add more shelves somewhere down the road ... And since I've got some relatively large dioramas in the fire, I may expand into a spare room.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 01:29 AM UTC
Hi Dave

If you do like BrandyDog described a few years ago... you literally throw them in the bin! At the risk of misquoting Martin, for him the pleasure was in the building, not the keeping. I've never been able to be so ruthless, although I had to ditch years' worth of work when I left London. It really hurt to do it, but it had to be done.

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP