Weather or not.
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2004 - 06:07 PM UTC
Weather or not.
I’ve read many articles about the art of weathering and seen even more models that have been treated to this delicacy.
I know its subjective but on the whole I’m all for it.
However some models seem to have been weathered for the sake of it. It’s as though the weathering was more important than the model itself and sometimes, to my eyes, looks overdone. I think the secret is knowing when to stop.

I think weathering of subjects in a dio is essential.
It should convey the action of the subject matter in its environment depicted by the dio. There should be enough weathering to make the subject sit comfortably in its surroundings.
However I prefer light weathering on stand-alone models. Although armour tends to look good with any amount, aircraft seem to benefit from a just little around the edges so the lines are complemented not obliterated.

I suppose its like a fresh haircut. When its brand new, every newly shorn hair stands out like a bristle, but after a week it settles down and looks O.K.

But that’s my view...
My models are so crude they look weathered for free..there goes that modelling on the cheap again.

Cheers
Peter
:-H
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2004 - 08:11 PM UTC
I'm for weathering, but in a "sustainable" way, I mean not overdone.
Ciao
APbullet
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
entire network: 236 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2004 - 08:28 PM UTC
I totally agree, but mayby the "overdone" vehicles are just tryouts for modelers. You know, just to try what you can achive with weathering, but then the should be treated as such and not as a real version. Hope you understand what I mean.
flitzer
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2004 - 09:21 PM UTC
I know exactly what you mean.
Well that's 3 of us.
Bye for now.
Peter
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 02:21 AM UTC
I think weathering is a very critical part of a model ..this is what brings it to life ...I'm not into all these scratchs and chipped paint ..I do use it a bit but you almost have to look twice to see it on my kits...I like the effects of toned down weathering ..dustly vehicles .rain stains and so on...but to each his own...each kit is different for me ..I try a new technique with each new model...I find that factory fresh is harder to make look real.

Rick
flitzer
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 02:59 AM UTC
I agree Rick.
Just enough is enough.
A little exhaust and gun staining and shaded panel lines ....
Cheers
Peter
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 03:20 AM UTC
I prefer kits to be in dio to be weathered. Sometimes, I prefer for a single kit to be built clean. Somewhat like a collection rather than being models.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 05:19 AM UTC
In a display model, I believe lesis more. Some highlights, a bit of dust, heat-burned exhaust systems and a bit of soot at the exhaust is adequate. I want to see your model, what the vehicle looks like, and when I'm judging your MODELLING skills, not your ability to make "mud". In a dio, the weathering should reflect the scene, I don't care to see mud on a tank in a city scape.

Too often, builders see heavily weatherd models and take them as gospel, instead of doing theirt own research. While there are pictures of mud-buggies, there are also pictures of tanks that still look like fighting vehicles.

I also become skepticla as a judge when there is a huge amount of weathering and can't help but think the builder is hiding a basic contruction flaw.
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 05:51 AM UTC
very good post. some people like to weather and some dont.
i like to do a liltte weathering,
some people do a lot of it,
look at tony greenland for example.
he only dry brushes and add a liltte wash to his models. people say they look to clean.
but i like the way he does it. he dont really weather like adds mud and stuff he dont like that
i might take his approach to weathering tanks from now on
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 11:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I also become skepticla as a judge when there is a huge amount of weathering and can't help but think the builder is hiding a basic contruction flaw

Heh heh,Mud is known to cover a multitude of sins.
I give my work a light used dusty weathering,and maybe some heavier mud on the lower sections,as I feel fit.But I would have no problem doing a very clean un blemished tank as if it were just delivered,or as a part of a "collection"
flitzer
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 04:09 AM UTC
It seems we are all agreed...Less is more.
I'm happy I'm not alone.
Best wishes to all subtle weatherers.
Cheers
Peter
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 05:03 AM UTC
I have mixed emotions on weathering. I think it has a time and its place and shouldn't be expected to be on every vehicle.

I agree that it should be mandatory and accurate for diorama's but, I feel it should be optional on "display" vehicles. I get different types of satisfaction from weathered models and "showroom" models. Sometimes it is nice to just look at the powerful lines of a tank without the distraction of mud, dirt, fuel stains etc.

Just my .02 cents.
Captain94
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 239 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 05:07 AM UTC
Very minimal weathering is good, I've seen some projets that look as though no maintenance or reasonable care has been taken with the equipment.

Yeah, I know these are plastic models representing the real deal, but even the real thing does'nt look as "weathered" as some tanks and aircraft out there!

I agree that often times the modler is stretching their skill with faux mud, dust and damage,
but even then, a little goes a long way.

As for me, I rarely weather my stuff, I like the uncomplicated look of a fresh paint job!

I suppose as my skills grow, I may wander down the weathering path, but for now, I'll just try to keep the mistakes to a reasonable minimum and continue to enjoy the remakable skills of those who choose to weather their kits!

StukeSowle
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 599 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 08:36 AM UTC
Bottom line, do what you makes you happy. If you don't like to weather, then don't ... and vice versa.

There is no right or wrong. I have pictures of vehicles in combat that looks brand new off the assembly line, to the opposite end of the spectrum where they look like they've been through Hell.

I do think that the assumption that weathering a model hides a modelers lack of skill is a bad one. Weathering a vehicle is an art form in itself, and in my opinion one of the most difficult to achieve realistically. Not anybody can just slap some mud on a model and make it look good. It takes skill.
yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 415 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 10:15 AM UTC
I think weathering is a matter of taste. I like the vehicles to look used, but not like they've been left out in the weather for a couple of decades.

A burnt and rusted wreck requires a lot of weathering, but most AFV's are rotated out of combat zones for rest and re-fit. When that happens, most troops clean and re-paint their vehicles. if the vehicle has been knocked and sent to the rear for refurbishing, it was usually (for the Germans), up graded with the latest fittings, tools and re-painted. I.E., a knocked out Pz111, AusF. E with 37mm gun and 36 Cm. tracks would be rebuilt with a 50mm L/42 gun and 40 Cm. tracks.

It all depends what the modeller wans to depict and is happy with.

:-)
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 719 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 10:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bottom line, do what you makes you happy. If you don't like to weather, then don't ... and vice versa.

There is no right or wrong. I have pictures of vehicles in combat that looks brand new off the assembly line, to the opposite end of the spectrum where they look like they've been through Hell.

I do think that the assumption that weathering a model hides a modelers lack of skill is a bad one. Weathering a vehicle is an art form in itself, and in my opinion one of the most difficult to achieve realistically. Not anybody can just slap some mud on a model and make it look good. It takes skill.

I couldn't have said it any better.... Personally, I like to be subtle with the weathering, because I find it is actually harder to achieve a REALISTIC appearance on a heavily weathered model. At least for me it is.

Trust me... it is easy to spot the kit that got mud slapped onto it without any rhyme or reason...

Just my 2 cents

Later-
Nelson
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 10:42 AM UTC
As others have said, it's a matter of choice. Same thing is true with optional items like packs and Jerry cans. Some models have so many of those hanging off them they look like a driving junk yard. To me it comes down to a source photo. More and more I would like to recreate a photo in a model. If the photo shows a heavily weathered vehicle, and frankly most seem to, them weather away. I do think though that a lot of the mud and Jerry cans you see out there are the result of inexperience as much as proper planning.
SGT.Busche
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 167 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 01:32 PM UTC
I like to weather them as well and I am stil learning how to do aircraft but I like the real look!
 _GOTOTOP