_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
How many hours?
zipperhead
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 27 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2002 - 07:26 AM UTC
Just for curiosity, how many hours do guys spend a week working on kits?
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 1,958 Posts
KitMaker Network: 720 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2002 - 08:09 AM UTC
Hi
Iīm not so worried about how many hours I spend building a model, I just build when I want to, some parts of building a model are more tedious than others and on these fases I donīt spend much time, I do spend more time when I have to add details, or when is painting time and most of all when is the weathering time, because I want to see the results and the model finished...
Hope to help
Cheers
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2002 - 08:50 AM UTC
I get home between 5:00 and 6:00 and dinner's at 6:30. Afterwards, I build for about 2-3 hours with some trips to the PC for a break or check e-mail, eBay, etc.

If I get 3-4 hours of uninterrupted building a weekend I'm lucky. Even more so if weather conditions allow spraying. I guess 15-20 hrs tops.
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2002 - 08:53 AM UTC
Before this site came along I probably got 15-20 hrs but it's more like 5-10 hrs now. I wait till the kids are all in bed and then spend time between modeling and cruising the web drooling over Gunnies masterpieces...lol! If I'm lucky the wife will take the kids out shopping on the weekend and I get some time alone to work. I don't spray until later in the evening when everyones gone to bed to I'm guaranteed some uninterrupted time.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2002 - 11:31 AM UTC
As of lately, I get anywhere between one and four hours a day. And like Tin said, since the advent of this site the number has dropped.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2002 - 10:06 PM UTC
I agree - I don't think it's really how many hours you spend, but the quality of the time spent. I'm lucky if I can swing 8 hours a weekend. I'm pretty burned out from work to do much more than cleaning up parts (like individual track-links) during the week.

Gunnie
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2002 - 11:08 PM UTC
I wish I had the time all of you have!! If I get 5 hours a month I feel lucky. Like Gunnie I feel worn out at the weekend, plus there's all of the other stuff you got to do!! (Then again if I wouldn't spend so much time here... )
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 330 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 12:06 AM UTC
On a good evening two to three hours. Depends on what stage I am at, I do lots of assembly in the living room so that my family knows that I am still alive. Most of my painting is done in the basement at my work bench, stuff that I paint by hand I will do this in the living room. The only probelm I have working in the living room is that the dog thinks I am eating something and won't leave me alone. :-)
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 12:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm not young enough to know everything.

Rob

Do you have a 14 year-old in your household too!! My 14 and 12 yr-old are well into hitting that magic age!! :-
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 649 Posts
KitMaker Network: 261 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 12:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm not young enough to know everything

I know what you mean. My two boys, (25 & 21) tell me I'm getting smarter all the time.
Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 12:32 AM UTC
5 kids: 16 yr old boy, 13 yr old girl, 12 yr old boy, 8 yr old girl, 5 yr old boy. The oldest two know everything there is to know about everything. The 12 yr old likes to prove to us that he is the world's biggest idiot by topping the previous day's moronic feat with some even more idiotic. The younger two are still manageable.
Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 12:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I'm not young enough to know everything.

Rob

Do you have a 14 year-old in your household too!! My 14 and 12 yr-old are well into hitting that magic age!! :-

My mean & nasty 13 yr old stepdaughter got more mean & nasty when she hit the magic age that all girls get to.
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 01:23 AM UTC
I feel your pain. Two 9-year old girls, 18 month old girl, the wife and a 75 lb lab that thinks he rules the house.
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 03:25 AM UTC
Well I don't feal all your pain but will someday. I have an almost 3 year old girl and a boy that turns 1 in May. As soon as we get into a house we will also have a lab that becomes the ruler of the house. We are also planning on having a couple more little ones in the future.
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 03:33 AM UTC
No kids in the pipeline yet so i get to spend a day off and a few hours making my Afvs'.Less time now that i am on here!!!!!!!!Lol
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 1,958 Posts
KitMaker Network: 720 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 05:30 AM UTC
Hi Guys
By myself I can count Two lityle daughters (1yr and 5yrs old) and my wife doesnīt bothers me too much about modelling, as a matter of fact she supports me!
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 05:55 AM UTC
No kids yet...no pets either...yet. Although fish may soon be on the horizon. Just had a 90 gallon tank given to me. I want to use it as a display case for my models. Look at all that room in there!!! Could be great to make a huge dio inside too. Imagine it! For some reason Mrs. seems to think fish should be in it. I don't know where women get their ideas?
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 06:07 AM UTC
Ken,
Wow, no dust problems if you seal it all up!

I myself can barely get enough time to do this site. Someday I hope to start a small kit and dio project. I can dream can't I?

Jim
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 06:33 AM UTC
Indeed Jim, It has the hood w/ lights already and a hinged lid to feed the guys.

BUT...EVERYDAY, I tell myself I will spend more time building and less time saying it. Something always comes up. So many things I want to build. Dreaming. Yes Jim, you can.
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 649 Posts
KitMaker Network: 261 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 07:29 AM UTC
I gues about 8 to 10 hours a week, but like everyone here, since I found this site the modeling time is dropping. I should be working on something right now. Instead I'm typing on the keyboard. Sheesh!
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 09:57 PM UTC
Kencelot,
Make the wife happy and put some fish in that 90 gallon tank. Then add a naval diorama, maybe a U-Boat or a sunken Liberty ship.
Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 10:22 PM UTC
My wife bought me a 10 gallon fish tank. I put a gold fish in it (but it's a black type) and found some aquarium decorations that were sunken tanks and cannons. I labeled the aquarium "Truk Lagoon" and named my fish Moby Dick. I got him last year for my birthday so I've had him for a year and he's about 3 times his original size. Not bad for a $1.49 fish. I'm still looking for sunken WWII aircraft to add to the aquarium.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 11:40 PM UTC
Sunken scale ships and planes! Great idea. I have actually seen some neat photos and paintings of sunken planes while search the net.

I just spent a half-hour trying to find them again but no luck. Maybe they got yanked off the Internet.

Ironically I was thinking about doing sort of a live terrarium with a tank ruin. Kind of like the one in that gallery.

tank wreck

Jim
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 12:36 AM UTC
Don't tell anyone but in my younger (premarriage) days I had a 20 gallon tank with a human skull as the center piece. The skull fell out of closet at a local medical school, not wanting anyone to trip on it, I took it home for everyones safety.
 _GOTOTOP