_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
Hello modellers.
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 10:08 PM UTC
Greetings to all.
Like others, I found the Introduction section late, so I offer my apologies and hope you think better late than never.

My real name is Peter Allen and I am currently working in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, as a creative director in an advertising agency. My home town is Wigan in the north of England.
I’m married to Emily, a Polish lass who tolerates my modelling well.
I’ve been working around the Arabian Gulf since 1982, having spells in Bahrain (a great little place) and Dubai.

On and off, I’ve been modelling since I was 6 and have covered most subjects as a youngster. My Dad bought me my first kit shortly before he died, so it was my Mother who helped me.

I did have a long phase during the eighties doing racing cars, F1 and Le Mans and still have an extensive stash of these back in UK which I will take up again on my permanent return.

But I have always done WW2 aircraft and got turned on to Luft 46 stuff, termed experimental then, when I came across a book, which I can’t remember the title of, back in the sixties at the local library. I was hooked and still am.
Maybe as a graphic designer and interested in design in general , I’m drawn to the conceptual element.

Today the standard I achieve is adequate under the circumstances in which I build. Like many, my facilities here are skimpy to say the least.
Accommodation is minimal from a modelling point of view. I usually build on the coffee table and airbrush outside on the patio. What would I not give for the eyesight and steady hand of my youth today.
But the need to model surpasses all.

I don’t have much in the gallery yet. My inclusions are three and all digital montage pieces. I do have a number of models in the gallery on the Unicraft Models site if anyone cares to surf over for a look-see.

What I like about Armorama is the great spirit and the humour. Criticism is always
constructive with help and advise the ultimate aim. After all, most of us have benefited from learning from others and me more than most.
It’s a welcoming place and it’s nice to feel at home amongst friends.

My other hobby is painting landscapes in water colours.

Peter
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 10:40 PM UTC
hi Peter,
welcome to Armorama Family. Glad you joined Armorama
It was also my mom who helped me to build my first model USS Fletcher long long years ago :-)
greetings from Turkey to you and well tolerating lady.
flitzer
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 10:44 PM UTC
Thanks Graywolf,
what would we do without Mums?
Best wishes to you and yours.
Peter
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 10:55 PM UTC
Hi there, and welcome in Armoram the best modelling famliy of the world. I hope u have a great time here and enjoy as must . As Brother Engin (Graywolf) my self also are not youngsters ( in 35 now and Engin a lil older) with families and all this. So i understand the urge to modell my friend. You can ask freely to have any info you like and all of us will be glad to help you.
Welcome
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 11:43 PM UTC
A warm welcome to the very best modelling community in the whole web!!! I'm sure you'll have (anp partially alreay had) a good time and lots of fun!!!
Ciao from Italy
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2004 - 04:31 AM UTC
Hmmm... English background, Polish wife, living in Saudia Arabia? You should fit right in here. Welcome to Armorama, the very BEST modeling site on the web.
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2004 - 05:31 AM UTC
Welcome to Armorama Peter. I would love to see some of your water colors sometime.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2004 - 05:59 AM UTC
Welcome Peter! Glad that you found the intro page... I never did. You've got some beautiful artworks in your gallery so far! Must be nice to be that talented! Looking forward to seeing more!

How easy/difficult is it for you to get kits/supplies in Saudi? I wouldn't think that it is all that popular there. (?)

You wouldn't happen to have any reference on Saudi National Guard vehicles around would you? I've tried writing to various SA agencies, but haven't gotten anything back.

Anyway, glad to have you here!
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2004 - 06:37 AM UTC
Welcome aboard Peter. I have been spending too much time here and not enough actually sticking plastic together. Hope you will, too.

Shaun
Wanze
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 277 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2004 - 01:49 PM UTC
Hi Flitzer,

Welcome!! Those are really nice photo montages. Anyway, hope to see more of your stuff in your gallery.

Wanze
flitzer
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2004 - 06:02 PM UTC
Many thanks Major Goose, Fabio, Halfyank, Animal, Kkeefe, Keenan and Wanze
Its great to be amongst friends.
Looking forward to many happy times on Armorama.

I will answer the questions you asked.
Halfyank...English background? I am English, a mongrel but I am English.
Animal......I know its not a usual Armorama subject but maybe I could put a couple of my water colours in the gallery...I suppose it could loosly be termed reference for dio landscapes.
Kkeefe....I've posted a few remarks here and there re: Kit availability / model shops but in short...Not Good...thank God for Hannants and Squadron and vacations back home.
With regards to National Guard vehicles, I will try to get some for you. However it won't be easy. Photography in public is banned and with the current security situation it could be dodgy. BUT I WILL TRY.

Cheers
Peter
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 01:52 AM UTC
Thank you Peter.... I am aware that things are 'different' there, do not jeopardize yourself or your position in any way! If you know of some official 'Saudi' channel that might be willing to help, I would certainly appreciate that instead.
flitzer
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 02:21 AM UTC
Thanks for your concern Kkeefe,
but I will try, without getting into trouble. In fact we have NG's guarding our compound...it might be a start.
Keep you posted
Peter :-)
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
entire network: 3,098 Posts
KitMaker Network: 899 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 06:30 AM UTC
Glad to have you with us. I really enjoy this site. I don't think that there isn't anything that you can ask about modeling that can't be answered here. Welcome and enjoy.
 _GOTOTOP