_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Mud
LittleNick
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 147 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2004 - 04:29 PM UTC
How do you have caked up mud. Like seen after a truck went 4X4
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2004 - 06:21 PM UTC
A few years ago I actually had a go building a Tiger in desert colours, and wanted to add some mud and dust (no pics I'm afraid, its back in UK hibernating in my brother's attic). Being in the Arabian Gulf area, I found that the local sand (well it is desert) is very very fine, almost like talcum powder and when mixed with a similar shade of modellers enamel it makes great mud. IT IS NOT FOR AIRBRUSH. It can be thinned or thickened to whatever consistency required, such as clogged mud around the wheels/tracks and under the guards or as a fine coating on lower bodywork. It can only be applied by brush.
In reality rain is a rare occurance out here, but when it does, the sandy landscape becomes a giant sticky mud bath and it adheres to almost anything. When it is hot and dry as it usually is, the fine dust also coats everything even when dry. A couple of points worth bearing in mind when doing dios.
Cheers
Peter

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2004 - 09:25 PM UTC
I've used modelling putty, real dirt that I soaked with Elmer's white glue and even celluclay mixed with acrylic brown and tan. Just depends how think you want it. At times have just used paint
LittleNick
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 147 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 06:55 AM UTC
Here is a pic
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 07:11 AM UTC
Ola Nick

I actually don`t have one method I use. Depends on the vehicle I built and in what campaign it served.
on ething that I still find good to work with is ordinary wall spackle mixed with static grass and a couple of drops of earth coloured enamels. apply that with a toothpick. This is the reult of that method:

here is a pic that shows how cool it looks with the grass added

I did a BMW motor wich ended up stuck in the road in a small diorama and the mud on that vehicle was done with tamyia putty applied with a tootpick and painted afterwarths.

now I`m experimenting with MIg pigments there are several ways of applying this stuff and also these experiments look very promising.

I hope this is of some help for you

Monte
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 833 Posts
KitMaker Network: 216 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 11:35 AM UTC
I found that paint pigments work great for light to moderate amounts of mud. Just mix the pigments with mineral spirits to the consistancy of mud and slop it on. For more caked up thicker mud I use plaser fo paris. I mix that up throw in some paint for color, static grass and Italian seanonings for texture and put it on. Later it can be painted or drybrused if needed.
 _GOTOTOP