_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
best mailorder experience in past year?
warhog
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 568 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 09:14 AM UTC
what was your best mailorder experience in 2003 or what was your worst?????
MGard
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 60 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 09:22 AM UTC
Last week I ordered some stuff from Formations and from Brookhurst Hobbies. Both orders arrived complete within 2 days.

Mike
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 3,179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 09:30 AM UTC
My standard services from Squadron, Red Lancers and Mission Models. All are great places. Used Mission for the first time in 2003 and I was really impressed.
zer0_co0l
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
entire network: 1,432 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 09:34 AM UTC
mol plasticmodelbouw is the best I ever dealt with! they rock. nice people very quick service nice models

they are in holland and rule
warhog
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 568 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 09:48 AM UTC
would have to agree with you ordered a few things from jon at mission models and hes always been real pleasure to deal with thinking about gettind that panzershop t-72m4 from them.......
Jurgen
Visit this Community
Limburg, Belgium
entire network: 651 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 11:11 AM UTC
Service I had to pay for: Mol Plastic Modelbouw! and Kees vd Pols/ Tanxheaven

Service I got for free: Animal!

(both made me VERY happy last year!)
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 11:30 AM UTC
I've had no problems ordering from Squadron, Great Models, Model Expo, or any other place I've ordered from. I'm especially pleased with HobbyLink Japan. The two orders I've placed have come at light speed from Japan (last order was about 2 weeks) and the amount I paid for two items was less than one cost at local shops.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 11:58 AM UTC
Model Mecca was the only MO for me last year. No problems whatsoever.

Best ever: MPK out of Taiwan.
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 754 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 12:06 PM UTC
Hi guys

I ordered from both Internet Hobbies, and Best 1 Hobbies in 2003 and have nothing but good things to say about both. Both orders were complete, and arrived in about a week.

Wolfsix
ZoomieE7
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 145 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 12:08 PM UTC
Aviation USK Nebraska cashed my check, but never delivered the kit I ordered. They didn't respond to my e-mail about the order (thanks for the reminder, I'll try calling them). The only other place the kit ( a rare 1/24 Nie.17 Vac) was available was Hannant's in the U.K., and I should have ordered from them. Hindsight's 20/20, right??
boosahmer
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 651 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 12:12 PM UTC
My best experience....I bought a kit of German tanker figures from an "off-the-wall" company in the Ukraine. Paid by credit card, and I had the item by regular air mail in FOUR DAYS!!!
worst nightmare....buying a resin kit from Platzdarm through CCNow.....waited 4 months, cancelled the order, my credit card was reimbursed by CCNow, then 2 days later I get the item from Platzdarm, along with emails wanting to know if I am gonna pay them!! :-)
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 1,966 Posts
KitMaker Network: 297 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 03:59 PM UTC
I have two best experiences, Discountmodels.com and Missionmodels.com. Both of these guys, Mark Klutchko of Discount, and Jon Tamkin of Mission are top-notch and still remember what "Customer Service" means. You can't go wrong with either of them. Fortunately I don't have a "worst experience"

Mike
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2004 - 12:16 AM UTC
Hi. Have always had very good luck with Rand J Products out in Washington State. Very nice people and very knowledgeable about their products and all that they sell. And shipping is excellent. Very much so.

Take care, Sgirty
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2004 - 12:41 AM UTC
My best usual experience is with the VLS membership group. 28% off and free shipping. 40%off sale once a year. Best of all I get the membership as a gift, so it is an even better deal for me.

Also there was a mixup with a Squadron order through the webiste and the comsale. They called me at work and home and made things right pretty quickly. They really went above and bevond on that one.

Worst.. waits for AEF stuff..and opening the boxes to see if it is one of the 'good' ones or not.

M
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2004 - 01:44 AM UTC
ive had some great experiences with mail order,

Accurate Armour, are excellent with fast shipping, and a great aftersales service for missing or broken parts etc

Sprue brothers, who advertise on this site, were also great, with the owner gordon kwan, very friendly and helpful to my emails.

john rauscher, who is deathorglory here, but sells on ebay is very good, ive bought several items from him, one arriving from the US by airmail in 2 days!

also my new favourite is panther models, an ebay store, who sell hard to get items such as VP, hornet, mig etc for nice prices, and ship fast!

no bad experiences really

cheers

joe
kbm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 678 Posts
KitMaker Network: 194 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2004 - 03:52 AM UTC
I''ve had great experiences with Bill Wolfe at Hometown Hobbies this past year. Good service and prompt shipping. Bill straightened out a crossed wire order on some Warrior figures without any hassle. My best experience was with Universal Models, who sells on ebay out of Hong Kong. Got two Dragon armor kits with surface shipping, for two dollars more than one of them sells at the LHS. The kits arrived safe and sound in about 5 weeks and no import taxes either!
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 379 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2004 - 09:48 AM UTC
Ordered a Dragon Leopold from Squadron.com in August - the box came 2 days later - From Texas to New York - and I only paid for regular shipping!
They are really on the ball - they were able to receive and box my order the same day - and in time for that day's UPS - great company to deal with.

Hobby Link Japan - I order from them maybe once a year - fast shipping (considering Japan to Long Island ), great prices, fun to browse their extensive website

1/72 - got into braille scale this past year and bought some kits and P/E from Tracks N Troops in Belgium - again, fast shipping, great prices, and great communication from the owner - Phillip.

Peter
redaye
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 123 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2004 - 11:05 AM UTC
For me, I have dealt with Micro-Mark for tools and supplies, very satisfied. Usually only a 2 day wait. For models, I use to deal with Great Models Webstore, I have had good results with them. My only complaint with them was with their website. I think it's too cluttered with Out of Stock -Discontinued- No Longer Available items that they keep listed. Takes a while to navigate through the items that they don't have anyway. I currently deal with Internet Hobbies. Their President, Dale Bruner, I have met personally. Dale does a great job in finding and filling orders. He is also a good guy to talk with.
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2004 - 01:02 PM UTC
I always have great service from Military Hobbies. Once they sent the wrong kit. I returned it for free and had the correct kit the next day. Great fellows.

HastyP
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2004 - 07:01 PM UTC
THE BEST
Based on the number of orders placed and received without problems.
After 3 years of continual service I can highly recommend Hanants and Squadron.
Both have proved spot-on.

When ordering direct from the manufacturer I would mention Unicraft.
Orders are made-to-order so can take a few months to be completed, but Unicraft have never failed. All kits ordered have arrived safe and sound.

In all three....2003 was no exception.

THE WORST.
Here I would advise a word of caution.
My first order for a single kit with Delta Publishing of Sheffield UK went well enough. The kit arrived quickly and in good condition.
On the basis of this I placed an order worth some 108 pounds sterling early last year.
So far I have not received the order in part or whole. The cheque was cashed a few weeks after the order was placed .
I have tried to contact them many times via e-mail etc without reply.
So be warned, order from them at your peril.

Cheers
Peter
Tankera1
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 138 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 08:11 AM UTC
I have ordered from Squadron, Micro-Mark, Internet Hobbies, and Model Expo. I have had no problems with any of those.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 09:43 AM UTC
Have only ever ordered once ... from hannants in England. Couldnt get the parts I was after in sweden. Ordered middle of november and it arrived first post in january. i took the cheapest post option.
I suppose with christmas and all it slowed down. But the well packaged box arrived safely and all parts were there. Eventhough I was no hurry, I would order from them again. I must compliment them on their excellent packaging.
Some friends of mines here in sweden are swearing by HLJ. The ordered the new T34 and tank riders, 2 sets of each for the same price one T34 costs here. So he sold one set (tank and figures) for the price of the T34 in Sweden and had a whole set free. Everybody got a good deal.
Will have to look into this option. I bought my trumpeter Leopold from a guy who did the same. Looks like everyone is getting in on the act.
 _GOTOTOP