Place your announcements here please.
How do you like this...
APbullet
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
entire network: 236 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 12:57 AM UTC
I found this searching on the net, if you like color reference then this is for you:
http://www.nwha.org/index.html

scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 01:08 AM UTC
Very nice pics!!! Thanks for sharing...
Ciao
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 01:29 AM UTC
Thasnks for the link, some neat stuff there.

It would appear from the website that these are photos of re-enactments. As such, as good as they are, they are secondary sources. You can certainly use them as reference, but in they would not be acceptable in scholarly research.
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 01:30 AM UTC
colored and clear photos...thanks for the reference AP
ave
Visit this Community
Klang, Malaysia
entire network: 417 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 01:43 AM UTC
reenactmens perhaps, but still great source of reference.
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 11:58 AM UTC
Holy guacamole! I know that those are re-enactments, but they are still awesome! Thanks for posting this! Thanks for your time.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 12:49 PM UTC
Howdy APbullet,

First, thanks for the photo link.......but, Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, this really touch's on something that has bugged the 'poop' out of me for some time now....(yeah gang, it's 'soapbox' time')

I'll try to keep it simple. WHY, is the only accepted version of something, a photo of that 'something'????
We ARE talking about the nineteen FORTIES, right? WARtime, correct? In ENEMY territory most of the time, Yes?
So, why do we, and when I say 'we', I mean the IMPS, AMPS, etc., base all of our acceptability of subject matter on whether a photographer (whether friend or foe) just happened to be hanging around that particular neighborhood?????
Geeeeeeeeeez.
Fortunately we are now being granted some much welcome 'I-was-there' insight into the existence of some of the more esoteric, or more personalized 'variants' that participated in WORLD War II. One of the more extremely positive roles the Internet has been able to play of late, is the role of 'personal' secretary to some of the more 'immobile' WW II participants and veterans that we are losing by the hundreds every day, who have held their tongue these many years, and who can now, from the comfort of their home, and from the pleasing position of 'annoymity' the Internet provides them, finally tell their stories!!
We already have new information garnered from some of the recent books on the SAS long range desert patrol participation in North Africa (for example) that tells us of the interesting additions and configurations employed on their vehicles that there is no existing picture to corroberate. So, are we telling them that they are making this all up? And that any model kits built based upon those 'I-was-there' stories are false!?!

Tread.

If this is indeed the case, methinks modelers think too highly of themselves.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 01:18 PM UTC
Well said Treadhead
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 1,969 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 02:48 PM UTC
Dang, I agree. Well said Tread !
By the way, I was shocked. This reanactment outfit is almost in my back yard! About 90 miles away from my home in Oregon. Never have heard of them till now! Interesting indeed. And to top that off , I was also in the 1st Inf. Div. for two years in 1970 and 71.
Hey, small world!

Cheers,
Garry
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 03:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll try to keep it simple. WHY, is the only accepted version of something, a photo of that 'something'????

If you think it's bad for WW2, try doing WWI aircraft (even armor) and asking about color!

There are color photos from WW1 (yes, very true), but hardly any of aircraft. Certainly not of the major German Aces that people are so interested in.

Ask what color Werner Voss's cowling was on his Triplane and you may start WW3! His mechanic said yellow, somone else remembers it olive...

If there is no photo to prove 'TRUTH' it seems people will never agree! Even though we all know a photo has never been the truth at all!

Steve
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 04:01 PM UTC
Howdy sniper,

Excellent addendum to the point. World War I is even more in 'contest'. But to really throw deisel on the fire.....
I was just fortunate enough the other day to pick up a copy of the recent 'Military Modeling' magazine( Vol.33 No.14 Nov.-Dec. issue). It is the issue that is dedicated to Euro Militaire 2003 coverage.
Within it's pages are some absolutley mind-boggling examples of model assembly/painting. I would estimate that approx. 80% of the pages are devoted to figure painting. No problem with that, Euro Militaire normally is devoted to figures mainly. However, here's where my point blossom's.
On page 20 and 21, there is an excellent figure depicting a Chinese Warrior from the 1st Century! Also, on page 34 there is a great version of a (I believe) 5th Century Lepontic Warrior. And finally, on page 63, again, a 1st Century Roman Signifer that has been featured in other magazines previously, and received rave acceptance by the figure painting masses. Herein lies my question...

Upon which photograph's are these figures, and their associated paint scheme's based?

(.............sound of a cricket chirping in the darkness............................)

Now, let's see if we can't 'fire-up' some response's from the 'Figure Talk' gallery.........

Tread.

Heck, just remembered the superb 'Henry VIII' figure on page 30. Great example of painting talent, and it bears a remarkable resemblance to Charle's Loughton's portrayal in the film "The brides of Henry VIII"!!....so, are film depictions of supposedly authentic wardrobe/costume colourings/textures considered acceptable 'reference' material??
IDHUNTER
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
entire network: 87 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2004 - 02:15 PM UTC
Thanks for sharing! That is a very interesting site. It looks like those guys are close to home too. I might have to check them out.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2004 - 11:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thasnks for the link, some neat stuff there.

It would appear from the website that these are photos of re-enactments. As such, as good as they are, they are secondary sources. You can certainly use them as reference, but in they would not be acceptable in scholarly research.

You are right photos way to clean and crisp to be WW2!!.
Grainy and dull yes.
That is a Killer T/34 tho would not mind having that parked in the Yard (++)

Yes plus no beat up Tanks all clean and new no damage!!
Katyusha
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 110 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2004 - 12:22 PM UTC
Treadhead,

You have a very good point. It would bewonderful if I could get in contact with veterans from the eastern front during wwII, and if your know any please give me their e-mail adress ( [email protected] ). One thing though: I think that alot of people like to look at pictures of things that they are building and modeling not only for refernece, but because it can help to make their modeling experience alot better and more fun. It was great when I got to ride on a t-34/87 after I had built a model of one. I would love to be able to sit down and have a chat or exchamge e-mail with a Russian veteran from WWII (or any veteren actually) but the fact is, alot of people dont have that privelage.
I myself am a WWII Russian reenactor. It is a great thing to be able to share pictures of "things" like this because they give people a better understanding of what they are painting or modeling. And you have to remember the reason we do this hobby. (For Fun)

~Katyusha~
Captain94
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 239 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2004 - 03:37 PM UTC
Well said and well thought out, Tread.

Thanks for the insight. I've often wondered about some of the issues you've raised.

Hmmmm, more food for thought!

Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2004 - 03:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

On page 20 and 21, there is an excellent figure depicting a Chinese Warrior from the 1st Century! Also, on page 34 there is a great version of a (I believe) 5th Century Lepontic Warrior. And finally, on page 63, again, a 1st Century Roman Signifer that has been featured in other magazines previously, and received rave acceptance by the figure painting masses. Herein lies my question...

Upon which photograph's are these figures, and their associated paint scheme's based?

Granted, there were no photographers, but there were plenty of artists, both in China and Rome. Lots of that art has survived. On top of that, there is an entire sub-category of archaeology that studies anchient textiles. These scientists can determine how a textile is made, from what and how it was dyed.

The color plates in the Osprey books and other reliable sources of informatiuon are based on this research -- no historical artist worth a tin of thinner would base his artiwork on "this could have happened," "this might have happened," or (god forbid) "this would look cool ..."

Anecdotal evidence recalled 60 years after the fact -- while it may be intriguing -- is pretty poor evidence. I love talking to the old vets as much as anyone with an interest in history, but for reference, I want a photo or a description written within a few years of the event.
 _GOTOTOP