_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
world war 2 movies
Tanker25
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 180 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 07:58 PM UTC
hey guys, its kinda off topic but, i just want to ask if what movies specifically the old ones that are realistic. I watched this movie "the battle of the bulge" and im very dissapointed that the tanks that are used by the germans are americans!
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 10:51 PM UTC
HI TANKER,
THE GREAT ESCAPE HAD QUITE A FEW VEHICLES THAT LOOKED PRETTY AUTHENTIC, BUT NOT SURE ABOUT STEVE McQUEEN'S BIKE. MAYBE SOMEONE OUT THERE KNOWS FOR SURE. THERE WERE RUMOURS THAT IT WAS A BSA OR TRIUMPH.
THERE WAS A VERY OLD B/W MOVIE OF THE FIFTIES CALLED SEA OF SAND THAT LOOKED PRETTY TRUE. LONG TIME SINCE I SAW THAT ONE.
INTERESTING TOPIC.
CHEERS
PETER :-)
MadMeex
Visit this Community
Vaasa, Finland
entire network: 424 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 09:11 AM UTC
Winter War from 1989 used real T-26's refurbished to running condition. I heard also that the I-16 used was real, but it looked pretty model-like wobbling about in the sky.

Mika
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 09:17 AM UTC
Oh, and also speaking of "Battle of the Bulge", take a look at their (the Germans') halftracks. You can very easily see that it is an American (Uhh...it was captured.) But it still is a good movie.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 09:44 AM UTC
Given the limited supply of real German WWII equipment, we do need to cut some slack, particularly in older movies where the makers porbably never anticipated a well educated viewership. [i[ Saving Private Ryan [/i] and A Bridge Too Far (IIRC) probably had the most realistic hardware going. Battle of Britain had some fine early war German aircraft. Even with the high production values of The Longest Day and Patton, the Germans used obvious American equipment. Heck, they even used M48 PAtton tanks on Patton!
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 11:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hey guys, its kinda off topic but, i just want to ask if what movies specifically the old ones that are realistic. I watched this movie "the battle of the bulge" and im very dissapointed that the tanks that are used by the germans are americans!

Yes, but have you ever seen the model done by a builder who built that M-47 Patton in psuedo-German markings? Very interesting. I know some ambitious person here has a link to it somewhere.

Sounds like a Campaign idea, build a movie tank (T-34 into a Tiger, Ti-67 into a T-55 from the Beast, etc.)
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2004 - 01:02 AM UTC
Since I am modeling three scenes from Kelly's Heroes, I have watched the movie over and over. The truck shown at the end of the movie that they are leaving with loaded with the gold is painted to look German, but is a U.S. truck. Same as other comments. There probably wasn't a workable Opel Blitz available to hire.

Sealhead (Kansas Sunflower)
MGard
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 60 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2004 - 04:55 AM UTC
To Sealhead,

Since you are working on Kelly's Heroes, Jaguar produced 2 sets of Kelly's Heroes figures.

Mike
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2004 - 05:09 AM UTC
I was kind of thinking of modeling the German tank that comes over the bridge in A Bridge too Far. It's a Leopard, isn't it?

Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2004 - 06:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Since I am modeling three scenes from Kelly's Heroes, I have watched the movie over and over. The truck shown at the end of the movie that they are leaving with loaded with the gold is painted to look German, but is a U.S. truck. Same as other comments. There probably wasn't a workable Opel Blitz available to hire.

Sealhead (Kansas Sunflower)

I know the old Military Modeler magazine did a 3 part spread on the Kelly's Heroes tanks. I recall Oddball's Sherman with loudspeaker and stove pipe tube, also the T-34 made to look like a Tiger.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2004 - 06:18 AM UTC
Hmmm...

"Movie Armor" might be an interesting group build...

Gunnie
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2004 - 06:27 AM UTC
there is a conversion set out there for the kellys heroes tiger,

one thing i always wonder is on saving private ryan, the marders,

one is obviously a marder 3m, and if its a fake its excellent, i cant tell the difference!

the other, i believe is supposed to be a marder 3h, but its wrong, it has a ball mount for the main gun, and the gunshield is weird, is this a real vehicle or an inaccurate standin?

i reckon the movie machines gb would be great!

cheers

joe

Katyusha
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 110 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2004 - 11:23 AM UTC
I have seen a few older movies that were still pretty acurate. Though I havent seen it in a while, Tora! Tora! Tora! was accurate. The Battle of Britain, a bridge too far, and the longest day are some others.
Another fairly accururate movie from wwII was The Ballad of A Soldier, made in '59. There were only two things that I noticed. If you pause the DVD, and look look very closely, while comparing pictures, you can tell that the Tigers where actually some type of Soviet tank with extra armor placed on it. Also the fact that one hit from a PTRD practically impossible to knock a moving Tiger at a distance of about 40 meters. The way they presented the movie is very convincing and the tanks look just like Tigers!!

Here's a question: What are your Favorite WWII Movies?
I'll post a forum thing...
~Katyusha~
kiltman
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 76 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2004 - 11:34 AM UTC
Another newer movie or mini series, was Band of Brothers. Looked to me like the real things, a British Sherman, German halftrack, not sure what type german tank. I would have to look a the movie again.
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2004 - 12:10 PM UTC
band of brothers uses canadian grizzly tanks, czech halftracks, and T34 based tigers,

the stugs were british fv432 apcs,

the dvd box set has a documentary showing how they did the special effects, its on there

cheers

joe
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2004 - 04:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Though I havent seen it in a while, Tora! Tora! Tora! was accurate.

Yes, very wel done. The Japanese aircraft are modified North American T-6 Texan trainers. I saw several of these modifications at an airshow in th emid 80's. And yes, tehy are very convincing mods.

Quoted Text

and the longest day .

The last time I saw any of this, I noted the Germans were equipped with quad 50's instead of Flakvielings.

Again, the audience in 1963 was not as in tune with looking for accuracy of equipment as we modelers are now. Spielbergs Ryan and Brothers obviously took our kind of interst in accuracy to heart in the lenghts he went to replicate very realistic German equipment.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2004 - 09:34 PM UTC
Tora Tora Tora used a lot of original film clippage, but the Japanese planes wre primarily built up AT-6 Trainers owned by the old Confederate Air Force (they've changed heir name recently)
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 09:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...owned by the old Confederate Air Force (they've changed heir name recently)

I know that it's , but yeah, they have changed it to Commerative Air Force. Sad, really....
 _GOTOTOP