_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Health and Safety
Have a question about what is safe or an experience that might warn others?
AMS another bad case...
Jurgen
Visit this Community
Limburg, Belgium
entire network: 651 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2004 - 10:23 AM UTC
After reading a couple of posts about this severe "sickness" I came to the conclusion that altough I'm not an advanced modeler, I am suffering from an advanced case of the syndrom...
I'm waiting for my M88A1, due to arrive tomorrow, and while waiting I went out and bought the Italeri M925. Just thought; "Let's get a kit and slam it together for the fun of it" (I'm allready dealing with a BAD case of Abrams-addiction so maybe a change off work will get my juices flowing for tomorrow...M88 time...) I wanted a kit wich would just look good in my collection of modern US vehicles, wasn't expensive and wich could be built OOB (and that was most important)
Okay... so now I have a half-build chassis... and I'm allready looking on the net for the reviews and aftermarket stuff.... The limitation of my budget keeps me from going out and buy stuff... (never have because of the high costs) Allready I'm looking to scratch build things for the kit and I'm allso NOT happy with the tires, so the eye turns to resin....

I just wanted to "slam bam, thank you ma'ame" build a nice kit to kill some time...

It's bad, isn't it?
cardinal
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 492 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2004 - 10:40 AM UTC
I undestand your predicament. I too might be infected with that "sickness". I try my best not to even go near the local hobby shop for fear that I might buy something & start building another kit when I have something ongoing on the work table. I'm already over my budget & maybe the next thing I'll know is I won't have any more money to buy food. ....any antidote for this sickness? #:-)
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2004 - 11:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I undestand your predicament. I too might be infected with that "sickness". I try my best not to even go near the local hobby shop for fear that I might buy something & start building another kit when I have something ongoing on the work table. I'm already over my budget & maybe the next thing I'll know is I won't have any more money to buy food. ....any antidote for this sickness? #:-)

ummm...starving?

yeah, (no offense to any REAL 12-step groups here..) but maybe we oughta start MA model-holics anonamous

"Hi, I'm Mike and I have a problem with styrene and resin.. it's been 14days since I bought anything hobby related"
"HI MIKE!"

hmmmm....

Mike
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2004 - 11:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

but maybe we oughta start MA model-holics anonamous

Absolutely! I consider myself very fortunate that I haven't been invected with Aftermaketitis, thought I'm sure I'm probably carrying it in me just waiting for it to break out. My problem is buying kits. I just can't stop myself. I opened every package Christmas morning in anticipation of another kit, no luck. Like most Americans I'm pretty much broke after the hollidays but I'm already considering what kits to get with my first pay check that I don't have to "waste" on silly things like the mortgage.

There must be some form of help out there. Oh, by the way, before anybody volunteers to have me send them all my kit purchases to eliminate my guilt to quote the kid from the Home Alone movies, "I don't think so."
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2004 - 01:28 PM UTC
i know what u mean about this sickness iam takeing pills for it lol,
every time i go to the shop i come home with a small kit to hold me over till i get the big kit in the mail lol
ZoomieE7
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 145 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2004 - 02:17 PM UTC
12-Step??!! No,No, I say. CELEBRATE your AMS, but with a twist. Instead of buying the after-market goodies, see what you can do with bits of plastic, wood (balsa is easily shaped and then coated with superglue to add rigidity), wire, winebottle lead (though it's not lead, anymore, I'll grant), leather from old watchbands ( I've covered two WWI pilot's seats with it), paper soaked in thin superglue to replace PE. Rather than aftermarket decals, cut your desired markings from solid color decal sheets, or try dry transfers rubbed onto clear. In short, look to our modeling past, BEFORE resin and brass, when, if you couldn't scratch build it, it didn' t exist. Above all, ENJOY your efforts, and let others' efforts inspire you, rather than give up because "I could NEVER do that." May The Force Be with You.
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 07:51 AM UTC
As I am a modeler who always uses aftermarket accessories and scratchbuilds when neccessary, likes to paint / build my figures, uniforms & armor to accurate standards, constantly researches military history ( since High School ) and always put my research into my model building, I would say this AMS bug definietly has bitten me and that's totally kool !

I enjoy what I do and have fun doing it. I love this hobby and military history. My point being that there's a " positive & a negative AMS " ( well, that's my opinion ).Weather
you have a little or alot of AMS and are having fun & enjoy scale modeling taking this kind of approach then that's totally kool ........ Positive AMS !

BUT
- If you have AMS that makes scale modeling seems to be getting like a chore that you hate to do but must do it, your constantly getting frustrated & angry and you literally want to slam that tank or figure against a wall and the approach becomes forced rather than willing
............ NEGATIVE AMS !

- ralph
Jurgen
Visit this Community
Limburg, Belgium
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 08:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"Hi, I'm Mike and I have a problem with styrene and resin.. it's been 14days since I bought anything hobby related"
"HI MIKE!"

Hahahahahaha LOL!
:-)
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 04:44 PM UTC
So true, so true, so true. But I will die happy! I may not get all of them finished BUT I sure am going to try!!!!!!!!
capnjock
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 06:01 PM UTC
Yes! but it's a nice disease to have. I too have more kits stashed away than I will ever build in my lifetime and I keep getting more.
In Saudi Arabia there are very few model shops so I live in a constant state of cold turkey. However its both a blessing and a curse that good old Squadron and Hannants do such a good job, sometimes its irresistable to order on-line.
At least every other modeller understands.
But I wouldn't have it any other way.
Cheers
Peter
Jurgen
Visit this Community
Limburg, Belgium
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 09:24 PM UTC
This is an example of what I'm afraid off....
Pawel's M923
 _GOTOTOP