TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Worst war movies
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 785 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2014 - 10:05 AM UTC
I think we've all seen "what's the best War movie" post, what I'd like to see is what's the least favorite War movie. I'm sure there are plenty out there.

For me it would be any of the movies where the cutoff patrol fines the smoking hot gal in the middle of a combat zone.
Target Zero comes to mind a Korean war era movie from the fifties.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2014 - 10:19 AM UTC
Pearl Harbor for me. Couldn't stand the actors or the screen play.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2014 - 10:24 AM UTC
I just saw in "Pearl Harbor" how the Japanese planes were attacking modern US warships at Pearl Harbor,pretty bad.

I did not like "Thin Red Line"too long and tedious.

captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2014 - 01:31 AM UTC
Another real stinker would be one called "Battleforce" you would think something with John Houston, Henry Fonda, and some other big names you be alright. It had the Africa Corps riding on M113's ...
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2014 - 02:45 AM UTC
"Raid on Rommel" staring Richard Burton. Second would be "Defiance".
supplyssg
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 82 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2014 - 08:07 AM UTC
"Red Tails" was a major disappointment for me!

Dismal script, worse acting and what was with that lame music score during the combat action scenes? It was best paired with an animated comic book superheroes action scene -not a war movie!

Just horrible...tho the CGI battle graphics were okay, the only positive note!
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
entire network: 3,098 Posts
KitMaker Network: 899 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2014 - 04:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Another real stinker would be one called "Battleforce"

That was the first one that came to my mind when I saw your post. I was getting ready to type in Henry Fonda movies to try and find the name of it and then I saw your other post. Terrible, terrible movie. Another stinker for me was Rock Hudson's movie "Hornet's Nest".

Randy
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,033 Posts
KitMaker Network: 361 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2014 - 06:21 AM UTC
How about those Viet Nam era biker movies from the '70s? One that comes to mind is 'Nam's Angels' aka 'The Losers,' 1970.

If it's a war movie, good or bad, I'll watch it -- I am easily entertained!
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 - 12:18 AM UTC
I saw most of "Wheels of Terror" aka "The Misfit Brigade", based on the Sven Hassel novel at the weekend. Hassel books are supposed to be sort of comical as well as violent and I guess this film had that, and it even had genuine Russian tanks (filmed in Yugoslavia in the 1980s) but the acting of the main cast was horrible, and in no way did they look like German soldiers in their brand new uniforms.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2014 - 11:27 AM UTC
So another weekend, another incredibly bad war movie on "Movies for Men" - Steel Tempest. Seems like an outing for some re-enactors on a 1980s housing estate with their two vehicles, a 251 and a Marder II, in every shot; occasionally a crude animation of a Tiger is superimposed in the background, and often real combat footage is used to pad it out. Explosions, fire and gun shots are all drawn on afterwards, and the sound recording must have been so poor the while thing is dubbed over.
Lots of SS uniforms, helmets that look too small because the actors are too fat, some British soldiers that look quite good and the usual ruthless hard nut doing his best despite incompetent officers.
Believe me, this is so much worse than the Hollywood movies mentioned above... it's really a new low.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 - 10:18 AM UTC
The Patriot. I have a particular animus about this totally and utterly awful misrepresentation of the American War of Independence.

The behind the scenes extras depressed me even more about how the crew just ignored the real and much more fascinating historical stories of the AWI in South Carolina. Really sad. Could have been such a great movie and instead it was utterly wasted.
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,439 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 11:06 AM UTC
Just seen a clip of a film called Red Rose of Normandy,the main girl in the film has the biggest lips ever
Anyway it looks more of a romance and they look to have raided saving private Ryan for the tanks and vehicles.

Maybe one to avoid.

phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,568 Posts
KitMaker Network: 126 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 03:12 AM UTC
After a recent re-watch, I'd have to nominate 2008's The Red Baron. A film which could and should have been much better given the fact that it is supposed to about one of the greatest fighter pilots who ever lived. Instead we get a sappy, cliche riddled romance.

Visually it is a great movie and for once it was nice to see a WW1 movie which didn't have all red triplanes and camels. Whoever did the visuals did their homework, although they slipped up showing Lanoe Hawker flying an SE.5a and not a DH.2.
From there however the film goes down hill and one wonders if the writers even bothered to read any of the very good books written about Von Richtoffen. A little fact becomes entwined with far too much fiction. Von R's relationship with Roy Brown being a particular issue with me
At the start of the film Von R shoots down Brown behind German lines. Brown is shown in RFC uniform and not RNAS, a warning of things to come. This is also where he meets the nurse he becomes obsessed with and helps to save Brown from bleeding to death. This never happened. At the time Brown was still in flight training. Brown was never shot down during the war, although he did suffer a broken vertebra in a crash during training.
Later in the film, Von R gets into a dogfight with Brown again and both land in a strangely quiet and oddly unscathed 'no-mans land' and have a little chit chat. It is revealed that Brown escaped from a POW camp and returned to fight. This never happened.
Later in the movie, they again get into a dog fight and this time Brown scores a hit. Von R suffers his well documented head wound and crash lands. This never happened. In reality it was during a head on engagement with FE2's of 20 Sqn and given that the bullet hit him from behind, it is likely that the shot was fired from one of his own squad mates.
And there it is left. They don't even show the real and only fight between them. In fact Von R's final flight is not even shown. He takes off and then it fades out. We are left with a last scene showing Brown and nursie, who is somehow able to flit between the lines, visiting his grave.
There are many more things wrong with movie. Even his character is not safe from a rewrite. Von R openly questions the war not only in front of his superiors but also the Kaiser! As a member of the aristocracy and an officer, he would never have dreamed of doing such a thing.
Even if we ignore the historical problems, the pace of the film is also quite slow and at times can be hard to keep the attention of the viewer. My partner, who has some interest in the subject but is not too fussed about the detail, found it boring and fell asleep half way through. A week before we had watched Flyboys and she enjoyed that one. A pacier film I agree, but again not without it's problems.

In short, avoid.

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 04:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

After a recent re-watch, I'd have to nominate 2008's The Red Baron. A film which could and should have been much better given the fact that it is supposed to about one of the greatest fighter pilots who ever lived. Instead we get a sappy, cliche riddled romance.

Visually it is a great movie and for once it was nice to see a WW1 movie which didn't have all red triplanes and camels. Whoever did the visuals did their homework, although they slipped up showing Lanoe Hawker flying an SE.5a and not a DH.2.
From there however the film goes down hill and one wonders if the writers even bothered to read any of the very good books written about Von Richtoffen. A little fact becomes entwined with far too much fiction. Von R's relationship with Roy Brown being a particular issue with me
At the start of the film Von R shoots down Brown behind German lines. Brown is shown in RFC uniform and not RNAS, a warning of things to come. This is also where he meets the nurse he becomes obsessed with and helps to save Brown from bleeding to death. This never happened. At the time Brown was still in flight training. Brown was never shot down during the war, although he did suffer a broken vertebra in a crash during training.
Later in the film, Von R gets into a dogfight with Brown again and both land in a strangely quiet and oddly unscathed 'no-mans land' and have a little chit chat. It is revealed that Brown escaped from a POW camp and returned to fight. This never happened.
Later in the movie, they again get into a dog fight and this time Brown scores a hit. Von R suffers his well documented head wound and crash lands. This never happened. In reality it was during a head on engagement with FE2's of 20 Sqn and given that the bullet hit him from behind, it is likely that the shot was fired from one of his own squad mates.
And there it is left. They don't even show the real and only fight between them. In fact Von R's final flight is not even shown. He takes off and then it fades out. We are left with a last scene showing Brown and nursie, who is somehow able to flit between the lines, visiting his grave.
There are many more things wrong with movie. Even his character is not safe from a rewrite. Von R openly questions the war not only in front of his superiors but also the Kaiser! As a member of the aristocracy and an officer, he would never have dreamed of doing such a thing.
Even if we ignore the historical problems, the pace of the film is also quite slow and at times can be hard to keep the attention of the viewer. My partner, who has some interest in the subject but is not too fussed about the detail, found it boring and fell asleep half way through. A week before we had watched Flyboys and she enjoyed that one. A pacier film I agree, but again not without it's problems.

In short, avoid.

They could have at least shown the dogfight, which resulted in his demise. It would have been all too easy to leave out who's bullet sealed the deal.
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 12:24 AM UTC
That's the thing that bugged me. They show 2 completely fictional fights between Brown and Richthofen and not the the real fight. The last fight could have had both Brown and the Australian soldiers firing at him, he goes down and it's left to the viewer to decide who made the kill.
It had a lot of potential to be a truly great film, but I think the film was badly muddled and I don't think they had much of an idea about where it was going at times.
Or perhaps I'm being overly critical and becoming an armchair director
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 07:59 PM UTC
As a follow up to The Red Barron I've got a quick question. I've tried to watch it several times on Netflix. Is it me or is there something wrong with the sound? Even cranked up very high the dialogue is nearly unintelligible.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 11:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Another real stinker would be one called "Battleforce" you would think something with John Houston, Henry Fonda, and some other big names you be alright. It had the Africa Corps riding on M113's ...

Is there another title for this? I searched IMDB for the title and a 2015 movie came up, Henry Fonda shows no such movie for him and Google also shows no Fonda era title.
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2015 - 02:24 AM UTC
The greatest battle, is listed under Henry Fonda's movies in wikipedia
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2015 - 04:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The greatest battle, is listed under Henry Fonda's movies in wikipedia

Okay, found it. Apparently it has quite a few aliases. As Dragnet's voice over intoned, "The names have been changed to protect the innocent." And the few user reviews indicate a pretty flawed piece of work.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2015 - 05:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Is there another title for this? I searched IMDB for the title and a 2015 movie came up, Henry Fonda shows no such movie for him and Google also shows no Fonda era title.

Worse yet this movie used stock footage from other Italian war movies like Battle of El Alamein. That one reenacted a British probing attack on the Italians using Universal carriers with the M113s flying all kinds of British command pennants. On the plus side the movie had running M13/40 and Sermovente when the Ariete division shows up. (and Chaffees everywhere. British, German Italian markings just everyone used them...)
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 03:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As a follow up to The Red Barron I've got a quick question. I've tried to watch it several times on Netflix. Is it me or is there something wrong with the sound? Even cranked up very high the dialogue is nearly unintelligible.

The dvd seemed fine to me played through regular tv speakers. The sound effects are loud though and could sometimes drown out other audio.
clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 774 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 05:57 AM UTC
Poor Henry Fonda, if it was a bad 60s war film seems like he was in the middle of it. I would vote for (against?) the 1965 release, "Battle of the Bulge" with, of course, Fonda. Just awful.
Cheers,
Rick
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2015 - 10:28 PM UTC
Currently watching 1986's Biggles Adventures on Time and I think it's safe to say I have found the worst WW1 flying movie in the history of cinema. Not quite sure what to say about it, except that if you make a movie set in both WW1 and 1986 don't have YES produce the soundtrack. At least not their 80's elecrop-pop phase.
It does however have two great lines, 'If you can fly a Sopwith Camel you can fly anything.' And 'Get us out of here before they realise your not a god and just an American.'
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,099 Posts
KitMaker Network: 78 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 05:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

'Get us out of here before they realise your not a god and just an American.'

LOL I f**king love that quote!!!
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2015 - 09:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Pearl Harbor for me. Couldn't stand the actors or the screen play.

I concur. I once heard it described as a 3 hour perfume commercial with a few minutes of warfare thrown in to wake up the men. Aviation History or another magazine, a few years ago, ran an article about the best and worst aviation films; P.H. was #1 worst, and they described - to my delight - Alec Baldwin as "despicable" or "contemptible". Salute for that!