TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Worst war movies
ubisuck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 461 Posts
KitMaker Network: 103 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2015 - 11:10 PM UTC
Where Eagles Dares with Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood.

So many mistakes, goofs that I would need to type for an hour minimum. The Main one I remember is the Germans flying the Bell Model 47G which was built in 1948 if I remember well and for the US Army and most of the branches.
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,568 Posts
KitMaker Network: 126 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 - 12:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

'Get us out of here before they realise your not a god and just an American.'

LOL I f**king love that quote!!!

It has it's moments but the movie is nuts. I'd recommend it purely on the grounds that I found it hard to describe. It does have Peter Cushing in it too.
I believe there was another film made around the same time called 'Gunbus' which was just as bats**t crazy.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 - 03:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So many mistakes, goofs that I would need to type for an hour minimum. The Main one I remember is the Germans flying the Bell Model 47G which was built in 1948 if I remember well and for the US Army and most of the branches.

To me, the use of available vehicles when an original is not available, does not make for a bad movie, though with the level of GGI today, I'd say poor research. In 1968, well, they made do with what they could. Now, the Germans did use autogyros during the war as well as some rudimentary helicopters. The likelihood of finding a flying example would have been nil and none.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2015 - 03:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

To give credit to the movie they did dress up the chopper with a segmented multi-panel windscreen to look more WWII "German"
For the chopper blame Alister Maclean for his novel. It was in there and as he wrote the screenplay what were they going to do? The best part of the movie is the team-up of Burton and Eastwood something seemingly so unlikely it became a Trivial Pursuit question.
misanthrope
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 15 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2015 - 07:24 PM UTC
"Attack!" with Jack Palance, Eddie Albert, and Lee Marvin has a very interesting story but also features the cheesiest combat sequences ever put on film, complete with cardboard panzers. "Battle Of The Bulge", "Pearl Harbor", and "Flyboys" are at the top of my "worst" list.
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 785 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 12:31 AM UTC
To it's credit, Attack was one of the first movies to be done without the support of the US Army. Seems the Army didn't like the way its' officers were portrayed in this film.
LowFiveJoe
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 22 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 07:00 PM UTC
Late entry:

I nominate Castle Keep (1969).

I caught this on late night TV a few weeks ago, I though I had eaten a bad mushroom or something. The scene with a German hiding in a bush playing a flute (if I recall correctly) still has me scratching my head.