_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Best source for models and equipment?
HeffaK
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 3 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 12:05 PM UTC
Hi everybody. First, I'd like to say that this site is awesome, and so are the people in the forums. Lots of information and interesting reading.
I am hoping that you can give me some advice on where to find a hobby store that specialize in plastic modelling.
A few years ago I relocated to San Deigo, CA , and now I want to take up my favorite hobby again. However, San Diego as turns out, is not exactly modellers heaven. I get very disappointed when I go to, for instance, Hobby People, they have tons of RC stuff but a very limited selection of plastic models. I am looking for a store that has a great assortment of vehicles and airplanes, Verlinden figures, rubble packs and everything else needed to make dioramas. Where do you guys get your stuff? I have tried shopping online but most of the sites don't show a lot of pictures of the products they sell. It's mostly text, so you basically need to know what it looks like before you buy it. If anyone knows of any good stores in my area, or can point me to a website, it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 12:49 PM UTC
I can't help much with San Diego area shops, but if you want to know what's in the box before you buy, check out online reviews. This site has many, as does Missing Lynx http://www.missing-lynx.com/ , HyperScale http://www.hyperscale.com/ and many others.

My favorite review site is Perth Military Modelling Society: http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/ They show exactly what you get in the box, i.e., sprue photos.

As for online stores, check out the sponsors of this site. All have good reputations. I tend to like Sprue Bros., 'cause I know the guys who run it. (Can I get an extra discount for the plug, Gordon? #:-) )
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 12:51 PM UTC
First off welcome to Armorama. We are all very glad to see you here with us.

I would suggest Internet Hobbies. Squadron .com, Great Models, Model Mecca for starters. They have just about all the latest kits and AM's you could want. There are more place to shop like Discount Models, Hobby Link, Hometown Hobbies,and International Hobby Supplies.
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 12:53 PM UTC
HI welcome to the best web site on the net..
well if u cant find any hobby shops bye your home try mail order.
there is a a lot of good mail order places,
here is one its in texas just click on the link,
http://www.squadron.com/
here is a good one right in cali tons of models u can even drive there
http://www.sahobby.com/
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 03:12 PM UTC
Hi. Welcome to the site. You might also check R and J Products at rjproducts.com It's a Mom and Pop business and they have most of the items listed anymore on other sites. Very knowledgeable folks. Have great service and shipping as well.

Take care, sgirty
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 03:17 PM UTC
Welcome HeffaK. If you're ever up north of you in Orange County try Brookhurst Hobbies. It's been there forever in Garden Grove. I shopped there when I was into models in the early 70s and from their website www.brookhursthobbies.com they still have a pretty good selection. I know a lot of people turn their noses up at this but also try Hobby Lobby, at least when they are having a 1/2 off sale. Go to www.hobbylobby.com to check out there online add. Be sure to also check their coupon. They don't have anything to speak of for figures but a fair selection of older Tamiya armor, and some newer kits, as well as some wingy thingys. Right now for instance they have all their HO scale railroad stuff on sale. This might be a good source of diorama stuff. Walk around the store, you'll find things like balsa and bass wood, brass rods, celuclay, plaster, moss, things like that for dios. Check out Armorama for threads about using non hobby stuff, like women's nail files, for your hobby supplies. Get creative on where you look, anything labels 'hobby' is usually much more money and you can save a lot by looking outside the box.
HeffaK
Visit this Community
entire network: 3 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 03:56 PM UTC
Thanks for all the great info.
redaye
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 123 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2003 - 03:00 AM UTC
I like to deal with www.internethobbies.com and www.greatmodelswebstore.com. both have good selections and good prices.
PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2003 - 09:27 AM UTC
Also located in California is http://www.missionmodels.com another good source!
menglish
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 14 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2003 - 09:40 AM UTC
I used to live in Orange County and I seem to remember a shop in orange off the 55 freeway in Orange somewhat near the Mall of Orange. I am at work right now so I don't have all the info. they were a small storefront shop that did just models.

-Matt
boosahmer
Visit this Community
entire network: 651 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2003 - 09:53 AM UTC
Heffak,
Welcome to Armorama....As you can see, everyone is ready with help and advice here. They have pretty much covered the online shops. I am sure you will be able to see what you want before you buy it with the info you have now. Again, welcome, and enjoy it here!
 _GOTOTOP