_GOTOBOTTOM
Network Talk
For discussions about network-wide site topics, announcments, etc.
New email service
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 07:56 AM UTC
We started using a new email sending service (for server generated emails like new forum posts, forgot password, etc) today (Friday May 2nd), so if you see any odd issues from this please let me know. I think I got all the instances of sending mail on the site, but I may have missed some small rare one.

Thanks,
Jim
This post was removed.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 10:16 AM UTC
Another test.
Dragon164
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 1,909 Posts
KitMaker Network: 162 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 10:45 PM UTC
Jim,
I am getting emails without the link being clickable.

Cheers Rob.
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 3,959 Posts
KitMaker Network: 35 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 12:25 AM UTC
Hi Jim

I am not receiving email notification when a post is placed on my HMS King George May '41 build log over in model shipwrights.

I had the notify button ticked when I created the blog & have tried subscribing a few times since but still no luck!

Could you look into this please?

Thanks
Dragon164
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 07:06 AM UTC
Update,
I am only getting some notifications and none are clickable.

Cheers Rob.
damoore46
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 107 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 02:51 PM UTC
Jim, I am not getting any subscribed content. Do I need to resubscribe due to the change, or is this a bug of some kind?

Thanks,
David Moore
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 2,888 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 03:21 PM UTC
I am not receiving any e-mail updates either. I thought things seemed quiet...a little too quiet...

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 09:42 AM UTC
The http: links are no longer clickable, in my e-mails.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 11,666 Posts
KitMaker Network: 121 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 01:38 AM UTC
Jim,
I'm having a different issue with email notifications. The links have always worked, then a week or so ago, they just stopped working. I've also noticed that I get some notifications, and some I don't get.

I'm hoping that all of this is from the changes you're making. email notification has always been my number 1 way to stay current on threads I'm active in.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 - 03:23 AM UTC
Jim,
Any update as to your progress, and when we can hope to have everything up and working?
Thanks,
Joel
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2014 - 10:36 AM UTC
I'd like to thank you all and especially Michael Satin on AeroScale who was persistent in getting across that something was indeed amiss. There was a small but important coding error which should be rectified now.

If you still don't feel you are getting updates please let me know though.

Thanks,
Jim
Dragon164
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2014 - 02:26 PM UTC
I started getting some again Today but the links still don't work, making them quite useless.

Cheers Rob.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2014 - 08:49 PM UTC
Hi Rob,
The links look fine in my emails. The only way I could ever even approach fixing that would be to get more information than 'they don't link' etc. I need to know what type of email app you are using, browser, type of browser, web mail, etc. Are we talking mobile phones, iPads, Androids, etc.

Thanks,
Jim
Dragon164
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2014 - 10:42 PM UTC
Hi Jim,
they used to work fine till the change, and I am using Chrome browser, Thunderbird email on Windows7 64. I am at work but could send you what I get when I get home.

Cheers Rob.
Dragon164
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2014 - 07:49 PM UTC
Jim,
I just logged into my ISP's webmail access and the links are fine there but somehow between the server and my email client they change to just text. This is weird and frustrating as this is the only site I have issues with.

Cheers Rob.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2014 - 09:01 PM UTC
Hi Rob,
I can only assume that your web client is not liking the new HTML/Text format I am sending. Prior to this we had just been sending out a plain text email. You can try seeing if there is a setting for something like "show all messages from this sender as plain text". I think Outlook use to have something like that. Or it may be you would need to change it the opposite (show all as html).

Best wishes,
Jim
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2014 - 10:02 AM UTC
Jim,
I'm still having the issue of the links to subscribed threads not working. Before you changes, they worked perfectly. I also have the notification emails from ARC, and their links still work, so I'm certain that the issue isn't at my end.

PC computer: HP Envy 20
Browser: EI 11
Email: Thunderbird
Email is Optimum via Cablevision.

Have changed my settings for Aeroscale to Plain text, and will see what happens.

Joel
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2014 - 06:30 PM UTC
Jim, all is good in the world again.

Notifications coming through again!
Dragon164
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2014 - 01:18 AM UTC
OK,
I have been trying to get my email client to work only to find that now the emails on the server are not clickable links anymore. I don't mean the old ones but the new ones.

Cheers Rob.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2014 - 02:58 AM UTC
Rob if this issue continues I suggest you copy and paste the link into the address bar, that will at least overcome your issue.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 - 12:45 AM UTC
Jim,
Well, I've given up trying to get Subscription to work correctly. Like I said from the start, it has worked perfected for years. I receive a email that someone has posted in a subscribed thread, and the link worked. Since your update, I still receive the emails, but the links aren't no longer highlighted, nor do they work. Making the emails basically useless to me.

I tried every combination of email settings, but none made any difference. I know that it is something you changed, because the same subscription email notification/working link from ARC still works perfectly.

Since I'm one of Aeroscale's most active members, the subscription feature made my time here much more productive without having to copy and paste, or go through each sub forum to find the threads I'm interested in.

I've unsubscribed from most of the threads, and will continue to do so as emails show up.

I realize that there is a new post feature, but it's no more convenient to use then going to each forum and looking myself.

Joel
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 - 03:07 AM UTC
Joel,
The only technical 'change' I have made to the formatting of the message is to include both a plain text version and an HTML version of the email. My guess is that Thunderbird is doing something odd with either version and not making the obvious HTTP references links. Not to knock you and Rob at all, but I hadn't heard this mail app mentioned in like 10 years until this thread, so I am fairly sure it's not a widely used mail app these days. That said we are working with Jim S. code here, not a 50 person web development team at a major online company.

It would be helpful if you could forward me a copy of the version you are getting to: [email protected]

I am still planning on making further changes to the format of the HTML messages, so perhaps I can get them working still for you and Rob (and anyone else not seeing them as links).

Thanks,
Jim
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 - 07:42 AM UTC
This is a test as I have changed some stuff in the code. Hopefully links will display for all now.

Jim
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 - 12:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel,
The only technical 'change' I have made to the formatting of the message is to include both a plain text version and an HTML version of the email. My guess is that Thunderbird is doing something odd with either version and not making the obvious HTTP references links. Not to knock you and Rob at all, but I hadn't heard this mail app mentioned in like 10 years until this thread, so I am fairly sure it's not a widely used mail app these days. That said we are working with Jim S. code here, not a 50 person web development team at a major online company.

It would be helpful if you could forward me a copy of the version you are getting to: [email protected]

I am still planning on making further changes to the format of the HTML messages, so perhaps I can get them working still for you and Rob (and anyone else not seeing them as links).

Thanks,
Jim

Hi Jim,

Can I ask you to undo whatever the very last change you made to the code yesterday, to get the links to work in Thunderbird, as the links now don't work for those of us who don't use Thunderbird?

Instead of going to the thread, the link directs the browser to //mandrillapp.com/***

I will email you a screen shot of the webpage that is brought up after the link is clicked.

Unless there's some other tweak you can make to fix this the rest of us (not using Thunderbird) now have to copy and paste the link, rather than clicking on it.
No offense to Thunderbird users but isn't it better to keep 90% of the people happy than the 10% who use Thunderbird?

I get the feeling you're not going to win, either way Jim...
 _GOTOTOP