_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Resin kits
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 649 Posts
KitMaker Network: 261 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2002 - 02:38 AM UTC
Just wondering if anyone else has built a full resin and whitemetal kit.
I dove in with an old MB Models Stug IIIB. What an experience. I took the hull and superstructure out side with my Dremel to grind down the pour slugs on the ends. Took forever to clean up the road wheels. Had to block the hull to keep the suspension square and level. Plus it was also my first try with Fruil tracks. But all in all it was very interesting learning experience. I must be a glutton for punishment, I've got several more MB kits plus a Sovereign StugIII C/D
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2002 - 05:30 AM UTC
Months ago I bought a 1:72 AER Komintern Tractor on ebay. I have looked at the kit several times, but haven't got up the courage to jump in.
The resin has some bubbles and there is a lot of cleanup needed. One of these days...
Be sure to post some pics. I'd like to see the finished model.
Chuck
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2002 - 07:11 AM UTC
Sounds like quite a project pipe! Seems like a lot of work for a kit.
What I don't understand is the price of resin kits vs the amount of work needed to clean em up. Is the detail really that much better than styrene?
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2002 - 07:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sounds like quite a project pipe! Seems like a lot of work for a kit.
What I don't understand is the price of resin kits vs the amount of work needed to clean em up. Is the detail really that much better than styrene?

That's a big NOPE! With what Tamiya, AFV Club, and Skybow does in injection-molded casting, resin really isn't a better way to go. These three companies are ever coming closer to casting in scale thicknesses too - which is remarkable.

I can't see resin with all the extra cleanup work and associated health hazard being a better option if the same subject is available in plastic. Now - that means a good plastic manufacturer :-)

Gunnie
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2002 - 10:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I can't see resin with all the extra cleanup work and associated health hazard being a better option if the same subject is available in plastic.

I agree here, but only if the version is available. I will do resin for a conversion, but I'm not that gung ho about doing a whole kit.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2002 - 03:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I can't see resin with all the extra cleanup work and associated health hazard being a better option if the same subject is available in plastic.

I agree here, but only if the version is available. I will do resin for a conversion, but I'm not that gung ho about doing a whole kit.

Me neither - but - Jaguar's M551 Sheridan is fantastically detailed. If you can get past the inherent problems with working an all-resin kit - this is one I believe you'll really like. I wrestled mine together, except for putting the road wheels and track run together. Too many other things going on at the moment to begin painting, but in the raw resin it looks really nice.

Beats the snot outta Tamiya's oldie...

Gunnie
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 649 Posts
KitMaker Network: 261 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2002 - 07:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Be sure to post some pics. I'd like to see the finished model

I will do that. The model is as finished as I am going to finish it. It is painted, weathered slightly, drybrushed and tracked, but I really am not happy with it. But it was a learning experience.
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 1,958 Posts
KitMaker Network: 720 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2002 - 08:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Months ago I bought a 1:72 AER Komintern Tractor on ebay. I have looked at the kit several times, but haven't got up the courage to jump in.

Hi
I suffer from the same desease, I got an AEF Designs Israeli Centurion and donīt feel much confident to start it....maybe later...
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2002 - 11:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi
I suffer from the same desease, I got an AEF Designs Israeli Centurion and donīt feel much confident to start it....maybe later...

Wow - you're a brave man Paulo. I've never been lucky enough to get an AEF Designs kits that wasn't short-shot or so warped as to be unusable. I'd like to see that model when you finish it...

Gunnie
 _GOTOTOP