_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Just curious
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 06:55 AM UTC
Hi. Maybe it's my paraiod brain coming into effect--or my 31 years' experience at G.M.--, but are we modelers sort of taking the big one by the modeling manufactures lately?

We are all overjoyed at the vast array of new kits now being released by the industry, but are we sort of being 'forced' to buy then today instead of tomorrow?

I was talking to a guy at the local hobby store today and he was telling me of the many different model kits they have on back order, due to the Xmas Backup, which, in itself, is really no big deal. 'Tis the season and all. But he was also telling me that if I want any new kit that is just coming out on the market, that I had better go ahead and get it, as they probably won't be able to stock it themselves in 6 months or so. And we both sort of came to the conclusion that we are being 'forced' to buy the kits we want as soon as they come out, because the makers are shifting of market so quickly these days that they only make a certain kit for a limited time--a very short time--and then switch to another. I found this out in trying to get one of Dragon's Elefant models earlier this year.

So if a modeler whats a certain vehicle, at a good price, they had better get it now instead of thinking they may want it 6 or 8 months down the road. Yeah, I know this is how capitalism works and all. And despite what many think to the contrary, the corporation has only one God and that is and all mightly dollar bill.

But I do find this just a tad bit aggravating. After the holidays I will have 8 or 9 boxes stuffed under my bed and who knows exactly when I will be able to get to them and/or finished all of them. No time in the near future, that's for sure. And I didn't really buy them to sit there gathering dust and cat hair.

Anyway, as I know there is nothing in the world that can be done about it, I still thought I would just send this out into the cosmic void, for what it's worth. You can chalk this up to the gripings of old age! Ha!

Take care, sgirty #:-)
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 08:33 AM UTC
I've got probably 50-60 unbuilt kits laying around. Of course right now it's a blessing because I've been unemployed for quite a while and I have plenty of stuff. So while I do buy some stuff, most of what I have has gathered lots of dust...saved for a rainy day. If you have the bucks...buy the kit...it'll keep
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 08:40 AM UTC
Hi sgirty

I build quite a lot of short-run stuff which, by its very nature, is not going to be around for long!

When I was a kid it seemed like the entire Airfix and Revell catalogue was always available, but the majors can't keep all their kits in production all the time. As far as I know, they rotate the moulds based on demand. There certainly was a period some years ago when the hobby seemed to be in decline, and a "get it while you can" mentality was the order of the day.

As you say, it's all driven by capitalism. If a kit is a poor seller first time 'round, it's not likely to be re-released often, but the popular kits should be in production regularly - the companies would be stupid not to produce proven sellers.

All the best

Rowan
Jurgen
Visit this Community
Limburg, Belgium
entire network: 651 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 11:14 AM UTC
First of all, I allways like reading your posts... makes me think about modeling, instead of making me think how to model...
Second, If what you're saying would be true, wouldn't companies burn their fingers in the long run?
Some of us can afford buying each and every kit they want, but I think most of the customers (would that be kids or adults?!) don't buy a model every week (or more). So that would mean that if a company stops with one product because of low profits and stuff, customers would look at another company and buy it there...
Hmmm just my 2 cents...
Jurgen
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 11:31 AM UTC
Jurgen yes you could buy it from another company , but if wether no other company makes that kit or the other one happens to be bad your out of luck. I would guess like every other industry there are methods used to cause sales by affecting availability. ITs why I generallly put aside some free cash so when that one or two kits come out I' not missing them.

Shiryon
yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 415 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 04:39 PM UTC
Sgirty's post puts forth a good point. Seems that if you don't get it now, you're SOL until they re-issue the kit and that could be three to four years down the line.. I'm still kicking myself in the butt because I didn't buy at least three of the DML Pz111, AusF. E kits. I thought there would be plenty of the kits availabe as it was such a great kit with a lot of extra spare parts. I've got everything I need to build an upgraded E, just don't have the base kit.

Another kit I put off buying was the DML StuG.111, AusF. G late. Had to wait three years for it to be re-issued. Just got it last week.

I don't think they are ripping us off. It may be that a lot of modelers do buy more than one copy of new kits and I doubt if the model companies factor that into production plans. Perhaps, we modelers are doing to ourselves by purchasing multiple kits. Heck, I know I will end up with at least three of the new Academy M-36 kit.

If I don't get all the kits on the shelves built before I die, maybe my five year old grandson will take up armor modelling when he gets older. He tells me that he relly likes my tank models.

capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 05:33 PM UTC
I have just started being really selective on what I buy. Therefore, I am able to buy THAT kit that really strikes my fancy when it comes out. At this point there are only 1 or 2 kits a year that I even consider buying. About the only item that I wish I could still get are the Model Cellar individual track links for the WW1 'Whippet' tank. I am pleased with what I have in my stash now.
capnjock
alpha-1-7-0
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: -2 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 03:47 AM UTC
he sgirty

just a thought on your post - yep i would agree that kits come and go too fast, unfortunately. My local modelshop doesnt get a vast array of kits in, so when i decide to do a new kit, for the most part ill have to order it from somewhere else - the problem is as you say that by the time you get to ordering it, uhuh, you cant, because its no longer stocked/available.

is it me or what but surely it would be better to focus on producing a few less kits, and do them to the utter most quality possible, and have your customers droolingly happy with those, rather than conveyor belting them out for a short time and leaving modellers to scramble for what they can - afterall - isnt it the modellers who make it what it is today?, not the money making that matters - sacrifice a few kits for the sake of better quality and more loyal customers, rather than focusing on what can be gotten out of the customer.

i know i'd be happier seeing 5 top quality kits a year that are available for longer, than 10 that could be better that appear only for a short time. wouldnt it be better to keep everyone happy, rather than than focusing on $$$/£££?

alpha
 _GOTOTOP