Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
EvilBay and Shipping Rates
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 568 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 01:40 PM UTC
Was just browsing Ebay, and looking at a few out of production kits and figures I would like to have, and the price was not that bad. BUT, the price some of these people are charging for shipping makes it TOTALLY unrealistic. I think between Canada Post and the United States Postal Service they are going to do a great job of killing Ebay and online vendors.

I have spoken to a couple of online vendors and they are having to take losses on shipping just to make sales now. I guess that should be good for local hobby shops. But I still don't understand how overseas online vendors can offer free or heavily discounted shipping.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 357 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 02:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Was just browsing Ebay, and looking at a few out of production kits and figures I would like to have, and the price was not that bad. BUT, the price some of these people are charging for shipping makes it TOTALLY unrealistic. I think between Canada Post and the United States Postal Service they are going to do a great job of killing Ebay and online vendors.

I have spoken to a couple of online vendors and they are having to take losses on shipping just to make sales now. I guess that should be good for local hobby shops. But I still don't understand how overseas online vendors can offer free or heavily discounted shipping.

The overseas places can still make money because they're buying the kits direct from the manufacturer in very large quantities. They're paying shipping... it's just rolled into the 'regular' price.
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,485 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 05:10 PM UTC
Ever since US vendors & private sellers started use the "Global Shipping System"....nothing more than an added middleman, prices have jumped incredibly as the system charges "Import charges" to us Canadians and overseas.

What ever happened to "Free trade"?....another big word to cheat us all!

There are plenty of vendors that still use USPS at reasonable costs.
Seek them out and buy from them and let the others eat(....)

I have to prepay import charges on used kits on Ebay from the USA .....

Also ever wonder why the overseas sellers are doing so well.

Well, every empire comes to end...just a matter of time!

Cheers,
Joe
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,980 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 06:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ever since US vendors & private sellers started use the "Global Shipping System"....nothing more than an added middleman, prices have jumped incredibly as the system charges "Import charges" to us Canadians and overseas. .....

The real killer was the rate hike the PO had in the US early last year. International rates almost doubled overnight. The GSS only added to the misery.
ludwig113
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,381 Posts
KitMaker Network: 176 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2014 - 07:48 AM UTC
i used to trade (buy and sell) alot on ebay but have cut right down. some of the postage rates from the usa/europe to the uk are just stupid, my next clear out will be my last for a long time...
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 09:30 AM UTC
Between being an EBay seller/buyer and modelling forums, I can attest that I have sold myself short on shipping many times. What you are truly seeing are buyers that mark up the shipping to cover the price of item purchased. I know that shipping on most modelling products is $7.50. However, most sellers set it at $15+. You will find the same math in some products that include free shipping. Sellers simply mark up the cost of the product. This way, people who select the "free shipping" search option are shown those products. The best way to shop is to find a seller with an EBay business or business with an EBay account.
stufer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 416 Posts
KitMaker Network: 59 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 09:54 AM UTC
I can only speak on personal experience in selling as a 'private' seller on the 'bay & would be in the fortunate position of working in a place where boxes would be easy to source and so cost me nothing.I would get bubble wrap and parcel tape from the nearest pound store and so would be able to set postage at cost plus 50 pence as a general rule (unless the purchaser wanted an alternative method of shipping)
Now I know some like to make their money up with a little extra added onto the shipping costs but for me personally I try to cover all my costs first whilst providing the best protection to the items I'm sending and at the best method to the purchaser)
I've noticed that more and more private sellers have raised the shipping costs of model kits,not just internationally but domestically as well,and this has made me think twice on bidding on more than one occasion.I suppose you just have to rely on checking feedback as to how well the goods are packed and the prices charged
AFVFan
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2014 - 12:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm amazed that a seller in Poland can send me stuff for half of what it costs me to send the same stuff to him ... and his package includes tracking.
sweaver
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 759 Posts
KitMaker Network: 131 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 - 12:55 AM UTC
Although it's less common now, you'll sometime see users overcharging for shipping to make a little extra money.
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,238 Posts
KitMaker Network: 59 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2014 - 11:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I'm amazed that a seller in Poland can send me stuff for half of what it costs me to send the same stuff to him ... and his package includes tracking.

Yep, it's really remarkable. And not only that, shipping is usually fast, almost always less than two weeks and often only about 10 days.

Here's the Polish postal system!
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 08:24 AM UTC
I am glad i`m not the only one to notice this,over here across the pond took a hit a few years back when the Royal Mail switched from not only size of parcel but ALSO the weight.I do`nt blame E-Bay for this but it has forced me to cut back on what i buy,now when i order shipping plays a huge part in my desicion in what i buy.
I used to buy bits and pieces from overseas but this has stopped now since i got hit for £27 GBP import duty from Her Majesty`s Custom And Excise for bringing in a Gundam Tank. .
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 09:44 AM UTC
Danny you always risked that situation and it is a known duty before you ever bring anything in the UK from outside of the EU. I often get nailed for import duty on company samples and there is nothing I can do about it except refuse dlivery, or pay up.
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 749 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 - 04:06 AM UTC
I have mailed items to friend in England and I put on the custom declaration form gift items of no monetary value , so far they have never been charged customs fee yet .
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 749 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 - 04:12 AM UTC
I believe items from China , the Chinese government is subsidizing the mail . Their objective is to get the buyers to buy from the Chinese dealers allowing them to make money , short and simple . Take a hundred xacto #11 knife blades $ 9.99 free shipping to the USA . The cost here in the local hobby shop between 25 to 35 dollars , add insult to injury the blades were originally made in the USA , not in China . How can that be ? Unless the Chinese are counterfeiting the xacto blades and packages .
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 - 05:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have mailed items to friend in England and I put on the custom declaration form gift items of no monetary value , so far they have never been charged customs fee yet .

Gift or not if it is over a certain value, remember the postage costs also counts as the value, in UK customs and excise will charge you, and to add insult to injury the item is picked up by the Royal Mail who charge you a further £8, as they say they have paid the VAT man.

There is no way you can beat the tax man he will always get you in the end.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2014 - 11:41 AM UTC
The cost of living in Poland is apparently about half that of living in NYC (and probably, similarly, London). It's perhaps therefore possible to absorb some of the postage costs as the merchant can afford to make less profit and it still be worthwhile, after all the money for the merchandise is still about the same.

I'm often amazed by how cheap things are on eBay, though buying from overseas rarely seems worth it (I mean proper overseas - Europe is OK).
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2014 - 07:11 AM UTC
I've been noticing the same thing as well.

I don't know if it's the sellers or something that Ebay forces them to do, but a lot of auctions and items on Ebay have priority shipping as either the only or the slowest and cheapest option. Call me cheap, but there's NO way I'm ever going to pay for priority shipping, I can wait that couple of weeks for those first class international packages from the States just fine.

But sometimes those shipping costs are simply absurd beyond belief. Take this for example: a pack of circle scissor replacement blades - shipping: USPS Priority Mail International, $40.85. Uh, excuse me?
And the description says "Buyer to pay actual shipping plus $1.65 handling which will include delivery confirmation."
Does it really cost 40 bucks to ship that kind of small product?
Or are shipping prices like this are just another way of saying "no international shipping"?
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2014 - 08:58 AM UTC
Hi there

I run an Oxfam bookshop with an on-line section and we are getting hit with hefty Royal Mail postage charges within the UK - to the point where it's more economical to send by courier at times. To me, that's just plain daft - the courier should be the premium service - but on larger/heavier items, it's increasingly the difference between turning a generous donor's items into a way of generating money to help those less fortunate, or swallowing a loss.

All the best

Rowan
AFVFan
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2014 - 08:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Or are shipping prices like this are just another way of saying "no international shipping"?

To answer your question, postage from the US to Finland on priority mail packages weighing from 1 to 16 ounces is $39.50 according to the USPS rate calculator (slightly cheaper if postage is bought online).

The problem is with the Ebay/Paypal policy. In order for a seller to have any hope of being covered by their so-called "seller protection program" all packages must have a tracking number. This means that only priority or express mail can be used, as there is no tracking on normal 1st class mail. Believe me when I say sellers hate this as much as you do, but their hands are tied.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2014 - 10:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

To answer your question, postage from the US to Finland on priority mail packages weighing from 1 to 16 ounces is $39.50 according to the USPS rate calculator (slightly cheaper if postage is bought online).

The problem is with the Ebay/Paypal policy. In order for a seller to have any hope of being covered by their so-called "seller protection program" all packages must have a tracking number. This means that only priority or express mail can be used, as there is no tracking on normal 1st class mail. Believe me when I say sellers hate this as much as you do, but their hands are tied.

Oh, that explains it! Thanks, I had been wondering about that for quite a while.

While on the topic, another funny thing with Ebay is their global shipping program. While I totally get the idea behind it - sellers can simply mail their international packages to the GSP location in the US and they take care of the rest - I can't quite see myself ever buying anything shipping through GPS. In addition to the shipping costs that are already expensive nowadays, you pay your country's custom fees, VAT and what-have-you up front. No thanks. I'd rather buy from someone not using the GPS, pay less, and have some excitement in my life as I cross my fingers and see if the package gets held up in customs or not.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2014 - 05:37 AM UTC
I won't use the GSP. All I've ever read about it are complaints from buyers who feel they're actually paying more for packages that way. Not only does the program hit buyers with the custom fees automatically, buyers are also paying both domestic costs (to get the package to Ky.) and international costs (from Ky to destination).

Buyers using it should also be aware that if they need to get a refund, only the domestic portion of the postage will be returned.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2014 - 10:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I won't use the GSP. All I've ever read about it are complaints from buyers who feel they're actually paying more for packages that way. Not only does the program hit buyers with the custom fees automatically, buyers are also paying both domestic costs (to get the package to Ky.) and international costs (from Ky to destination).

Buyers using it should also be aware that if they need to get a refund, only the domestic portion of the postage will be returned.

Nice... And in the end: more money to Ebay's pockets?
I've also wondered if those GPS packages are marked as "customs-VAT-etc-already-paid." I bet people wouldn't be too pleased to pay all the extra charges, then have the package held by the customs anyway and have to pay yet again...
AFVFan
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2014 - 12:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice... And in the end: more money to Ebay's pockets?

Of course, Ebay wouldn't have it any other way

Quoted Text

... people wouldn't be too pleased to pay all the extra charges, then have the package held by the customs anyway and have to pay yet again...

They probably wouldn't be charged extra, but that wouldn't stop the customs people from holding it forever for inspection.
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2014 - 09:36 PM UTC
This would be a big consideration to Europeans buying from Ebay as customs also include the price of the postage as well as the price of the product when deciding how much you owe them; So well done Ebay in helping to kill your own business.
sherman-vc
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 254 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2014 - 06:59 AM UTC
I bought the last Dragon Tiger Kit from a retailer in Japan and with postage was still cheaper than just the kit from Dragon USA online before postage.

While yes postage rates have gone up quite a bit here in North America it's not all the post offices fault as to why kits are cheaper in Asia.

If it is because they are getting the kits direct from the manufacture why can't the big on-line stores, or chains in North America do the same?

With Dragon I don't get why the MSRP for their kits are higher in North America than in Japan? Especially when they are their own importer/distributor. It's almost like they want to drive the business out of North America.

Regards,
Rod