_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Rubber Tyres - Why?
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 295 Posts
KitMaker Network: 90 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 06:59 PM UTC
I just bought an AVF Club 6 pdr anti tank gun - looks good and I note that it comes with rubber tyres.

Now I'm pretty much a beginner in the model painting rankings but it strikes me that they won't look right unpainted - which makes me wonder why do they bother.

I'm guessing it is going to be more difficult to remove any mould seems or to simulate a flat or bulge of a stationary tyre under load.

It must cost a disproportionate amount to include them, so why bother? Are there advantages that I'm missing or is it just marketing to make the kit seem special?

Cheers,

Nigel
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 08:50 PM UTC
They should look fine, without paint. Add a little pigment and paint to represent dirt and grime.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 09:35 PM UTC
You can also rub them down with some steel wool to dull them some.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 01:06 AM UTC
@ Nigel
Rubber tires you either love or hate them... As Matt said. As one of your last steps rub light grey pigments on them and they will look fine.
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
entire network: 3,212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 250 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 04:57 AM UTC
Rubber tyres are fine....weather with pigments and they look like rubber tyres
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
entire network: 894 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 05:17 AM UTC
the reason why rubber tyres are often included, is because it is hard to make plastic ones with slide moulding technology. Making circular objects is not difficult, but the thread pattern would not allow the tyre to come of the mould if hard plastic is used instead of flexible rubber. Some tyre thread patterns can be moulded in plastic, sometimes with the help of some creative engineering such as the loose disks of the Dragon Flak.

hth

Matthijs
Chrisk-K
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 310 Posts
KitMaker Network: 16 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 03:50 PM UTC
I wish every manufacturer includes rubber tires. Not having to paint tires separately from the hub alone is worth the admission.

Simply use washes on rubber tires and they will look great.
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 749 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 05:41 AM UTC
Rubber tires are just that rubber color . Just look at your car after you get brand new tires so you just have to weather them to make them look like old rubber tires . Now if it is a parade vehicle that's a different story . Now twenty years from now you might have a lady but then even real vehicle tire don't last that long either .
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 08:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@ Nigel
Rubber tires you either love or hate them...

Hi Robert

Coming from an aircraft angle, I definitely fall into the latter category. For one thing, "there's rubber and there's rubber" - the real-life colours do vary considerable according to nationality and period, so although I can aim at getting a realistic finish, painting rather defeats the whole point of them. More importantly for me they're harder to clean up and are dust magnets - and if they're vinyl (often marketed on the box-top blurb as "rubber"), they react chemically with bare styrene over time and slowly melt it (check your Stash if that rings an alarm bell - I've found a few horror stories in mine... ).

All the best

Rowan
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 10:28 AM UTC
I have seen this topic raised on Armorama, It advises that plastic parts are painted where they come into contact with rubber parts to prevent any possible issues.
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 749 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 07:19 AM UTC
Tamiya in the 70's released their models with the rubber band tracks and tires . They seemed to have weathered real good , the tracks and tires still are in one piece . And the ones with the motors in them , I still play with them . And they run good . Just got to remember to remove the batteries after each time .
 _GOTOTOP